Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What do British people do in Spain for living?

What do British people do in Spain for living?

Old Apr 19th 2004, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all

how about teaching english ?. fully qualified tefl teachers can command 20-25 euros an hours, unqualified approx 15 euros.
Old Apr 19th 2004, 3:35 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 5thbeatle
how about teaching english ?. fully qualified tefl teachers can command 20-25 euros an hours, unqualified approx 15 euros.
You will find that most native English teachers in Spain are not paid well. Two years ago I lookd into moving back to Zaragoza, or Alicante. The one firm offer I had was for 35 hours a week, classes off and on between 9am-8pm, and the pay was to be 750 euros a month. One can do much better as a private tutor/teacher as I did years ago- perhaps as much as 50-80 euros a month per student for 1 on 1 classes.

If you have a small nest egg, and can live for a year or so while building a reputation/clientele, one can open up their own academy for a reasonable investment. I know several that give classes in their own flat, and do very well, earning 3-4000 a month, less taxes, social security etc.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:09 am
Just Joined

5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all

ironporer
are you still in spain ?. do you hold the trinity ?. just curious as i'm looking to venture into tefl in mabe malaga, alicante or madrid. i think it does help though if you have a recognised tefl qualifiaction. you can email me on [email protected]

Originally posted by ironporer
You will find that most native English teachers in Spain are not paid well. Two years ago I lookd into moving back to Zaragoza, or Alicante. The one firm offer I had was for 35 hours a week, classes off and on between 9am-8pm, and the pay was to be 750 euros a month. One can do much better as a private tutor/teacher as I did years ago- perhaps as much as 50-80 euros a month per student for 1 on 1 classes.

If you have a small nest egg, and can live for a year or so while building a reputation/clientele, one can open up their own academy for a reasonable investment. I know several that give classes in their own flat, and do very well, earning 3-4000 a month, less taxes, social security etc.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

ironporer
are you still in spain ?. do you hold the trinity ?. just curious as i'm looking to venture into tefl in mabe malaga, alicante or madrid. i think it does help though if you have a recognised tefl qualifiaction. you can email me on [email protected]
I dont think there is an Alabama in Spain..

If you are going to teach English, get yourself a spell check program, and names have those big letters at the front in English.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 6:57 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jdr
I dont think there is an Alabama in Spain..

Alabama-stan?
Alabamalandia?
Santa Alabama?

You have La Alhambra...that's kinda close, no? Oops, no, can't be- I didn't see any cars on blocks in front of it, or washing machines and old sofas on the front porches in Granada.
Old Apr 20th 2004, 7:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
Alabama-stan?
Alabamalandia?
Santa Alabama?

You have La Alhambra...that's kinda close, no? Oops, no, can't be- I didn't see any cars on blocks in front of it, or washing machines and old sofas on the front porches in Granada.

When i lived ñear Bonanza Square the binmen cleared rubbish like that at 3 am
Old Apr 25th 2004, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

ESMCCa is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas where I can get info on doing a TEFL course? Been checking the local colleges but they don't seem to have any info..

Been learning Spanish for a few months now and will continue to do so until we make the move (hopefully next March).
Old Apr 25th 2004, 1:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally posted by ESMCCa
Any ideas where I can get info on doing a TEFL course? Been checking the local colleges but they don't seem to have any info..

Been learning Spanish for a few months now and will continue to do so until we make the move (hopefully next March).
Type TELF into google.... tons of it..
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What do British people do in Spain for living?

Ironporer,

"Definition: [n] ethnic slur; offensive terms for a person of Mexican descent

Synonyms: greaser, taco

See Also: Mexican "

Even taking into account your high handed attitude ( an attitude shared by many of your countrymen, for some reason only known to yourselves...) your use of the phrase

"In Spain, you are little more than wetbacks (no offense to Mexicans, please) hoping for subsistance living on the fringe of the economy. " is extremely offensive, certainly to me, and I'm sure, to many others.

Who the hell do you think you are making a statement like that ?

As Brits, we are permitted under EEC laws to come here to Spain, live and work or not, as we wish. The same does not apply in the relationship between Mexico and the US !
Old Sep 29th 2004, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: What do British people do in Spain for living?

Hola Guitarman,

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now !

I just had a quick look through one of the local papers ( in English ! ) and noticed this

"
COMPUTER administrater required exp. with adobe photoshop software. Knowledge of computers & internet essential. Hours 10 am - 6 pm (1 hr lunch). Mon-Fri. 1,0 00 euros month. Puerto Banús. Call:"

There were a few other ads looking for pc folks. So yes is the answer to your question.

Personally I know of several individuals who make a reasonable living attending to Brits' pc problems. I think its a matter of how tenacious you are ! Are you thinking of moving here now ? or are you looking further down the road ? If you arn't sure, maybe consider coming out for 6 months or so and giving it a go ?

Don't be put off by those who paint a gloomy picture, you'll never know unless you give it a try !

All the very best, anyway

Last edited by meseta; Oct 1st 2004 at 3:48 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do British people do in Spain for living?

Originally Posted by meseta
Ironporer,

"Definition: [n] ethnic slur; offensive terms for a person of Mexican descent

Synonyms: greaser, taco

See Also: Mexican "

Even taking into account your high handed attitude ( an attitude shared by many of your countrymen, for some reason only known to yourselves...) your use of the phrase

"In Spain, you are little more than wetbacks (no offense to Mexicans, please) hoping for subsistance living on the fringe of the economy. " is extremely offensive, certainly to me, and I'm sure, to many others.

Who the hell do you think you are making a statement like that ?

As Brits, we are permitted under EEC laws to come here to Spain, live and work or not, as we wish. The same does not apply in the relationship between Mexico and the US !
Well said Meseta. 100% in agreement with you, could not have put it better
Old Sep 30th 2004, 4:18 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as the EEC anymore.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 5:59 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hola Guitarman,

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now !

I just had a quick look through one of the local papers ( in English ! ) and noticed this

"
COMPUTER administrater required exp. with adobe photoshop software. Knowledge of computers & internet essential. Hours 10 am - 6 pm (1 hr lunch). Mon-Fri. 1,0 00 euros month. Puerto Banús. Call:"

There were a few other ads looking for pc folks. So yes is the answer to your question.

Personally I know of several individuals who make a reasonable living attending to Brits' pc problems. I think its a matter of how tenacious you are ! Are you thinking of moving here now ? or are you looking further down the road ? If you arn't sure, maybe consider coming out for 6 months or so and giving it a go ?

Don't be put off by those who paint a gloomy picture, you'll never know unless you give it a try !

All the very bnest, anyway

since he posted 5 times on 23rd & 24th Jan he probably hasn't seen your reply!

he was also thinking about moving to the US

come on Guitarman - prove me wrong & reply

BTW I know quite a few brits here in Spain working with computers, with varying degrees of ability in Spanish. Some mend them , some programme them & some run internet businesses.
Old Sep 30th 2004, 6:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by xabiachica
since he posted 5 times on 23rd & 24th Jan he probably hasn't seen your reply!

he was also thinking about moving to the US

come on Guitarman - prove me wrong & reply

BTW I know quite a few brits here in Spain working with computers, with varying degrees of ability in Spanish. Some mend them , some programme them & some run internet businesses.
He probably saw the wages for that job, havin a larf ain`t they..... and gone to the USA, to work in big macs.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 6:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
He probably saw the wages for that job, havin a larf ain`t they.....and gone to the USA, to work in big macs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.