Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What is the difference between a residence permit and registrationg certificate?

What is the difference between a residence permit and registrationg certificate?

Old May 13th 2012, 3:29 am
Banned

lokalokaloka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is the difference between a residence permit and registrationg certificate?

I've been told that I need to apply for a registration certificate and not a residence permit because permits are required people who are from non eu countries but also retired people from both eu and non eu countries.

I read this in a guide on Spain I am currently reading:

If, after three months, you don't have a job you must leave Spain as you are only permitted to stay for only 3 months without a residence permit. A residence permit will not be issued if you do not have a job or adequate income.
Surely that is for non eu citizens?

I am planning on working in Spain, I am 21 so nowhere near retirement age.

Which do I apply for? I am really confused.

Whoops, I spelled registration wrong in the title.
Old May 13th 2012, 5:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between a residence permit and registrationg certificate?

Originally Posted by lokalokaloka
I've been told that I need to apply for a registration certificate and not a residence permit because permits are required people who are from non eu countries but also retired people from both eu and non eu countries.

I read this in a guide on Spain I am currently reading:

If, after three months, you don't have a job you must leave Spain as you are only permitted to stay for only 3 months without a residence permit. A residence permit will not be issued if you do not have a job or adequate income.
Surely that is for non eu citizens?

I am planning on working in Spain, I am 21 so nowhere near retirement age.

Which do I apply for? I am really confused.

Whoops, I spelled registration wrong in the title.
if you are an EU citizen you don't need a permit to stay - you can stay as long as you like, but should register as resident & get a resident cert

as of 24th April they are now asking for proof of income & either right o healthcare here or private health ins, before issuing resident certs - but legally they can't chuck you out of the country for not having one

confused - so are they..................

where exactly did you read this - do you have a link ?

Last edited by lynnxa; May 13th 2012 at 5:17 am.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:08 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the difference between a residence permit and registrationg certificate?

Originally Posted by lynnxa
but legally they can't chuck you out of the country for not having one
I think they can - but they won't. As soon as you leave the country you are entitled to re-enter as a tourist for another 90 days so it would be rather pointless.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

purpleflower is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I have 67 euros less per month than the income amount they are apparently asking for proof of, I am British so presumably, even though he is American, we will both have the EU rights to not be kicked out if we cant get the registration? Will savings help to make up the difference we are short does anyone know?
Old May 13th 2012, 6:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think they can - but they won't. As soon as you leave the country you are entitled to re-enter as a tourist for another 90 days so it would be rather pointless.
I was thinking along the lines of them kicking you out permanently - that's not likely to happen I reckon

as the OP is an EU citizen he just registers as resident, right, as opposed to 'applying for a permit' .......... although it does seem now that you'll need to prove income regardless, doesn't it?
Old May 13th 2012, 6:23 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly if your income is that low I doubt that you will be able to afford to live in Spain.

Getting a job to increase your income is likely to be difficult or almost impossible at the present time.

Lynnxa - yes you're right - they can't kick you out permanently unless you are a paid up Al Quaida operative!

Yes the OP registers as an EU citizen and gets the green card and the OH get a nice plastic Residencia card - you know - the one we all want!
Old May 13th 2012, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Frankly if your income is that low I doubt that you will be able to afford to live in Spain.

Getting a job to increase your income is likely to be difficult or almost impossible at the present time.

Lynnxa - yes you're right - they can't kick you out permanently unless you are a paid up Al Quaida operative!

Yes the OP registers as an EU citizen and gets the green card and the OH get a nice plastic Residencia card - you know - the one we all want!
She did mention that they have savings as well. I did ask the question in another thread as to whether a lump sum would be accepted as proof of ability to support oneself (when we arrived 5 years ago we had no 'income' at all, just capital, and some people planning to move might be in a similar situation) but nobody responded to that. I'm still interested, if anybody knows?
Old May 13th 2012, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

purpleflower is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou Lynn, yes we do have savings as a back up and I did do lots of research before we came here and if we live modestly we will be able to afford to live here, I didnt know about the recent changes about proving your income until the day we arrived in Spain, even though I had asked the question a lot before we came but nobody knew about it. We are here now so will have to try and sort things out, if we had known before we would have stayed in Chile but nevermind, life throws things at us, we have to deal with them.
Old May 13th 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

My local office doesn't require any proof of income nor health cover at the current time. Must be similar elsewhere.

Spain regularly introduces and re-introduces laws without any intention of enforcement.

I see it as just bully tactics. All we can do is play along with it. If extra documents are required, well, just "create" them, like everyone else. It's not as if they will check it out!!
Old May 13th 2012, 11:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by avocados
My local office doesn't require any proof of income nor health cover at the current time. Must be similar elsewhere.

Spain regularly introduces and re-introduces laws without any intention of enforcement.

I see it as just bully tactics. All we can do is play along with it. If extra documents are required, well, just "create" them, like everyone else. It's not as if they will check it out!!
the Denia office asked someone on our local fb group for her vida laboral last week............... how would you sugest she 'create' one of those
Old May 13th 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well I went down to our local office to renew my residencia today. I was told I couldn´t as the law had changed and they were waiting for instructions. This could be one week, two weeks or ...............!