Reload this Page >

What is a decent salary to start considering Gibraltar

What is a decent salary to start considering Gibraltar

Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:52 am
Just Joined

andreamoro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is a decent salary to start considering Gibraltar

Hello there,

As another job opp has arisen in Gibraltar, I was wondering before applying how much is a decent salary to get a family of 3 relocated in the little peninsula.

Cost of living looks alike UK, but house purchase is very expensive. Flights too.

Two taxations system, the ABS that makes allowance possible, and GIBS without allowance makes the salary I've been offered - £40k - 20% liable with the latter and 27% with the first. Clearly it makes sense to go for the latter, but still not sure.

Rent is tremendously high, pretty much like London I would say, but there is no VAT which I'm not sure how it could benefit if I will move all my stuff from within UK.

Can you give me some hints?

Best
Andrea
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a decent salary to start considering Gibraltar

Hi Andrea
First of all if you go to the bottom of the Free Beer thread you will see some Gibraltar related information.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422251

Gibraltar does not have VAT but there is Import Duty which varies for different items, however most things are 12% of landed cost.
If you were to move over and bring your personal items including household goods then there should be no duty on them. However if you bring a car it will be dutiable.

Income tax, well your choice.

Cost of living I'm not sure about, I have no idea what it costs in UK these days. However although UK foodstuffs are generally more expensive items sourced from Spain maybe cheaper than UK.Also many people do there food shopping in Spain.

Two days ago I filled my car with diesel at 94.9p / ltr
Cheaper insurance, no road tax, MOT 4yrs then every 2yrs.
Free buses so need for a car in Gib, but useful for trips.
Free medical services and education. Prescription £2.50 per item to a max of three items anymore free.Housing more expensive which make a lot of people consider living in Spain and commuting, however balance that with the travel costs and education etc above.
Flights, I'm not sure I have not flown in years but Sleazyjet opperate from here along with Monarch and BA. Malaga and Jerez airports are easy commutes.
If you have savings then interest is non taxable, great for us pensioners.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 2:17 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You move to the area around Gibraltar for the lifestyle - not the money I thought

Davexf
Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

You move to the area around Gibraltar for the lifestyle - not the money I thought

Davexf
You would appreciate unless a rich retired person, you have to earn money to pay bills at the end of the month. So I bet mine was a legitimate question ... still unanswered.

I'm concerned about living in Spain as schools in Soto grande costs £3000 a quarter, perhaps more and I will end up getting crazy at the border unless I cannot walk in leaving the car in La Linea ... and then use free bus in Gib.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andreamoro
and then use free bus in Gib.
Only free for Gib residents
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Only free for Gib residents
Ah well ... that's make more sense.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ah well ... that's make more sense.
Plus the frontier bus is only free to resident pensioners
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi Andrea
First of all if you go to the bottom of the Free Beer thread you will see some Gibraltar related information.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422251

Two days ago I filled my car with diesel at 94.9p / ltr
Was this in Gib or in Spain?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was this in Gib or in Spain?
Gib 94.9 p
p = pence
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Gib 94.9 p
p = pence
WTF ... I wish I could pass through the channel and reach Gib to refill the thank so easily
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

WTF ... I wish I could pass through the channel and reach Gib to refill the thank so easily
I wish I could buy property at your prices.

Swings and roundabouts