Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to cook when in Spain?

What to cook when in Spain?

Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Wise Old Jo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What to cook when in Spain?

When we're in the UK, we have easy access to a wealth of world-wide ingredients in the major supermarkets that allow us to be creative and experimental in our cooking habits. We cook and eat very differently when we're in Spain, because the range of ingredients available to us is not only different, but much smaller. We don't have enough knowledge about local and traditional Spanish recipes to really get into cooking, Spanish-style. Can anyone recommend good Spanish cookery books to help get us started? What do others find themselves cooking and does your diet change when you're in Spain?
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to cook when in Spain?

Originally Posted by Wise Old Jo
When we're in the UK, we have easy access to a wealth of world-wide ingredients in the major supermarkets that allow us to be creative and experimental in our cooking habits. We cook and eat very differently when we're in Spain, because the range of ingredients available to us is not only different, but much smaller. We don't have enough knowledge about local and traditional Spanish recipes to really get into cooking, Spanish-style. Can anyone recommend good Spanish cookery books to help get us started? What do others find themselves cooking and does your diet change when you're in Spain?
We've got 3 or 4 Spanish cook books, including the one by Rick Stein which is OK, but I'd rather recommend one called simply "Spanish" by Pepita Aris. It might not be available as a new book, but should be in 'Amazon…used books'. She tends to title the recipes as per in English rather than use the Spanish name, which at times can be a nuisance.
Another 2 on my Amazon wish list are "Tapas Revolution" by Omar Allibhoy and "My Basque cuisine" by Ash Mair.
As to what to cook, weekly we'll usually have chickpeas/red or white beans, patatas a la Riojana as a starter, Spanish omelette, fish (merluza or bacalao….hake or cod). I've seen chorizo quite a bit in the UK for not much more than what we pay here.
The big killer difference between UK & Spain is the price of wine. A Rioja that Tescos or Morrisons sell such as Campo Viejo (and not even crianza) will cost here around €3.50 compared to a whopping £8.50 in UK.
Hope that helps you. Que aproveche!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Another excellent book is this one. Lots of info on ingredients and the Spanish names for them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Spai...oking+in+spain

If you are interested in authentic Spanish food and some of the history behind it, this is the best book you can buy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Food-Spa...+food+of+spain
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:42 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I would think if you want an authentic Spanish cookery book then buy a Spanish one
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Also there are a lot of Spanish cookery magazines so spend some time browsing.

Rosemary
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Wise Old Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the suggestions ... will get busy!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

We bought Omar Allibhoy's Tapas Revolution last autumn and have cooked every single recipe in it, he's a brilliant cook, looks at Spanish food with less of a rosy tint and more of a passionate attitude, treating traditional Spanish recipes as something that can be adapted to what you have in the cupboard, which, he argues, is how Spanish people view them.... Can't recommend them enough and the beer cooked ribs are epic. We make them once a week now.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:39 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wise Old Jo
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I would think if you want an authentic Spanish cookery book then buy a Spanish one
Not necessarily. Claudio Roden is a world renowned food historian and probably knows more about the history of Spanish cooking than anyone else.

Read it before you comment on it or your opinions are worthless.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:37 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Read it before you comment on it or your opinions are worthless.
That's your opinion

My opinions are as good as yours
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:00 am

They are indeed but, the difference is that I have read it, you haven't.

Seriously, if you are interested in Spanish food, it's really worth a read. It¡s not just another recipe book from a TV chef with a new series.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 7:17 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I would only take issue with the OPs opening post concerning the lack of ingredients available in Spain. It simply isn't true.

It's true that we live near to several major Spanish cities, but there can't be a single ingredient available in the UK that wouldn't be available here in Spain.

As far as freshness of locally sourced vegetables is concerned there is a much bigger choice because of the climate, but modern cooking seems to rely on frozen ingredients anyway so it doesn't seem to matter.

At my simple level I prefer fresh, local vegetables and that ultra expensive Virgin Olive Oil, I've just had some to add to tomato puree on toast.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:06 pm
Banned

We'll forgive my "worthless" opinion but if you were looking to buy a cookery book of traditional English recipes would you choose one written by someone called Carluccio. Or a book on Thai cooking by Stein if you wanted authentic.

The best Spanish food we had was cooked by a friend who was a Mijas Councillor and most of the recipes were passed on from his Mother.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:26 pm

Read the book or shut up!!

For what it is worth, the definitive book on Thai cooking was written by an Australian.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Food-Da...5177808&sr=1-1

And yes, I have read all 800 pages.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Read the book or shut up!!

For what it is worth, the definitive book on Thai cooking was written by an Australian.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thai-Food-Da...5177808&sr=1-1

And yes, I have read all 800 pages.
We have that book and it's bloody epic! It completely changed my view on Thai food although if I'm honest it makes for heavy reading, it's kind of a little awkward how it's laid out but the quality of the information and recipes more than makes up for it. Good call there Fred...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.