Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

what checks/docs do you need to buy a business in spain?

what checks/docs do you need to buy a business in spain?

Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:23 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default what checks/docs do you need to buy a business in spain?

Hello all, I usually reside on the australia forum, this is my first foray onto Spains forum.
My sister is currently driving thru/around spain with the hope of finding somewhere to live and work as she has had enough of the UK. Someone that she knows has offered her a business to buy. The business is currently operational and has been for a few years.
But I would like to know about the legalities of starting a new life and a new business in spain, as I have heard some horror stories (people buying homes that are later ordered to be handed back etc etc)- this business opportunity sounds too good to be true....
What are the legal requirements? does she need a visa etc or if she is a UK citizen does she not have to worry about anything like that?
Any advice is gratefully recieved thanks
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what checks/docs do you need to buy a business in spain?

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hello all, I usually reside on the australia forum, this is my first foray onto Spains forum.
My sister is currently driving thru/around spain with the hope of finding somewhere to live and work as she has had enough of the UK. Someone that she knows has offered her a business to buy. The business is currently operational and has been for a few years.
But I would like to know about the legalities of starting a new life and a new business in spain, as I have heard some horror stories (people buying homes that are later ordered to be handed back etc etc)- this business opportunity sounds too good to be true....
What are the legal requirements? does she need a visa etc or if she is a UK citizen does she not have to worry about anything like that?
Hola, I see you have got your signature ready.
Being an EU citizen she is free to move and work within it.
Buying a business in Spain is a big risk from what I have seen.
Don`t tell us it`s a bar.
She would have to treble check all paperwork, go through the accounts and totally discount them.
Double accounting could be a major problem and inflate the profit margin for a quick sale.
Give us a bit more information about where and what the business is and it will be easier to give you advice.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Hola, I see you have got your signature ready.
Being an EU citizen she is free to move and work within it.
Buying a business in Spain is a big risk from what I have seen.
Don`t tell us it`s a bar.
She would have to treble check all paperwork, go through the accounts and totally discount them.
Double accounting could be a major problem and inflate the profit margin for a quick sale.
Give us a bit more information about where and what the business is and it will be easier to give you advice.

I second that , Ive had over 5 years experience in business in Spain ,if you want you can PM me.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 9:40 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

At very least you need an independent lawyer when buying a business in Spain, and you couldn't have come at a worse time, we have an economic crisis of gigantic proportions.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

There are many businesses for sale - guess why! including some very dodgy 'franchises' - and beware many of these are British.

Regarding what she needs:
Good independent legal advice to complete relevant Spanish legalities (depends on the business type)

N.I.E.

and lots of common sense.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:35 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your comments- all very welcome
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

doctorfeelgood is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Economically, there are some areas in Spain that are better than others so whereabouts is your sister looking to settle? The problem with alot of businesses failing out here is that the owner has no business sense, they have absolutely no idea how to re-organise their business in an economic downturn...sorry guys i dont mean to insult anyone here? There are one or two companies that i use that are independant from any agents etc that give me honest legal advice and correct accounting. If you need any further help let me know but i will say from experince buying from friends or family is not good!