Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What can we grow over winter?

What can we grow over winter?

Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

strobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant future
Default What can we grow over winter?

We are in the hills of Huelva province, about 500m up, what can we get away with growing over winter? As well as a good size garden we have a reasonable greenhouse too. We noticed the tomatoes stayed alive outside last year until Christmas - what else can we grow?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can we grow over winter?

Originally Posted by strobl_j
We are in the hills of Huelva province, about 500m up, what can we get away with growing over winter? As well as a good size garden we have a reasonable greenhouse too. We noticed the tomatoes stayed alive outside last year until Christmas - what else can we grow?
Older.... or a beard.....
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

strobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant futurestrobl_j has a brilliant future

I have the beard, don't need any help with the older - was looking more in the fruit and veg line actually
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by strobl_j
I have the beard, don't need any help with the older - was looking more in the fruit and veg line actually
Ask the neighbours would be the best way to find out, see what they successfully grow and copy them.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

They seem INCREDIBLY stuck in their ways here, don't seem to plant a damn thing until the end of May when I am already picking stuff, they look at me funny when I follow the instructions on the back of the seed packets. They are mostly pig farmers with fruit and veg as a hobby, cos you cant eat the stuff in their mind unless it runs around and oinks
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Lawrence.Brown will become famous soon enough

You can grow lettuce pretty much all year round, and you can pick them as baby leaves so that if the weather gets really bad you only lose a few weeks worth rather than the whole crop.
Same thing with baby carrots and radish because they mature so quickly.
Cabbage family loves the winter.
My advice would just throw some seeds about and see what happens, they are cheap enough to try a lot of varieties.