British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   what can i expect? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/what-can-i-expect-677303/)

richthebuilder Jul 19th 2010 1:53 pm

what can i expect?

Hi

I'm a newbie to the site so hello to all. Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on Peniscola in Spain (workwise) In the UK I fit bathrooms, Kitchens, Plaster, tile, Qualified Plumber and carry out carpentry work as well as a bit of paint and decorating. Could anyone with info please reply to post am very keen to no. Looking to move out ASAP i'm married with two little Richthebuilder juniors.

Thanks in advance

Rich :)

Rete Jul 19th 2010 6:08 pm

Re: what can i expect?

Hi rich

Welcome to BE. We have setup a Welcome Wagon for newbies to BE so they can familiarize themselves with how things work on the site.

It is not required that you post there but many find it very helpful to get their feet wet in that forum first.

We do encourage new members to read the site rules so they are acquainted with what is and is not allowed on the site.

Hope someone comes around with some answers for you.

Rete

richthebuilder Jul 19th 2010 6:22 pm

Finally a normal person, thank you for your post, cheers rich.

HBG Jul 19th 2010 6:41 pm

Peniscola is a very Spanish town, with few expats. It will be bouncing with Spanish holidaymakers at the moment because it's a traditional resort for people from Madrid and northern Spain. It's split in two between the beach and the old town and a large stretch of flat countryside on the approach roads.

It also has a Valenciano tradition, which is spoken widely.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the prospects of British tradesmen in such a location, but it's not a poor place, and is not suffering from over-building in the past few years. I would imagine that you would need the language to succeed there.

richthebuilder Jul 19th 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks for the post very much appreciated .we can now all speak spanish fluently so hopefully will be able to try and make a go of it

kind regards
rich.

LittleWeed Jul 19th 2010 7:05 pm

Hi Rich, Valencia Region has a 23% unemployment rate - Servef (Job Centre) currently has 39 jobs for over 500,000 unemployed. So the chances of finding work for a Spanish employer aren´t that good (even if you speak both fluent Castellano and Valenciano). The opportunities working for the Brits in Peniscola aren´t much better since there are only around 1600 living in the entire Castellon province (the majority live in Alicante and Valencia provinces).

Wish I could give you a more positive message but at the moment things are a bit grim particularly if you are looking for work in a construction trade. :thumbdown:

poolboy Jul 19th 2010 7:27 pm

We stopped in Peniscola last year en route to Barcelona. It was lovely, nice beaches, low rise, castle, nice hotels & cafes. I know of someone who lives there & apparently there are a few expats just keeping themselves to themselves - v lucky if you ask me.

Some of the neighbouring areas were a bit run down.

Good luck & have a fab time. Don't know if there is a winter life though.

Chiclanagir Jul 19th 2010 7:36 pm

Welcome to the site but please do read all the other posts about returning to the UK before making any decisions.

Jerseygirl Jul 19th 2010 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by richthebuilder (Post 8712513)
Hi

I'm a newbie to the site so hello to all. Just wanted to know if anyone has any info on Peniscola in Spain (workwise) In the UK I fit bathrooms, Kitchens, Plaster, tile, Qualified Plumber and carry out carpentry work as well as a bit of paint and decorating. Could anyone with info please reply to post am very keen to no. Looking to move out ASAP i'm married with two little Richthebuilder juniors.

Thanks in advance

Rich :)

Hi Rich...welcome to BE. Why don't you do as Rete suggested...come and say hello in the Welcome Inn?