British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   What is the best free spanish email service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/what-best-free-spanish-email-service-622790/)

paintermujer Jul 29th 2009 2:13 pm

What is the best free spanish email service

Just cancelled our phone for the end of August and our blueyonder email has gone with it.

Any advice on good free email in Spain, something other than hotmail.
Thanks.

spain Jul 29th 2009 2:30 pm

Re: What is the best free spanish email service

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 7794697)
Just cancelled our phone for the end of August and our blueyonder email has gone with it.

Thanks.

why not hotmail ? it worked fine for me for 6 years in Spain

If you get a Telefonica line you can get an email with them too ...also there is jazztel but not sure if its free

steviedeluxe Jul 29th 2009 2:32 pm

A lot of people praise google mail too.

spain Jul 29th 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks.

reading your other thread I note you are renting...is there already a phone line connected ? if not you could have problems getting a line and internet

paintermujer Jul 29th 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks for your replies - will look at google mail.

Luckily our house already has a phone line but we are having some transmitter thingy installed for the internet.

Fred James Jul 29th 2009 3:11 pm

Yes, Gmail is the best. Loads of storage, the best junk mail filter around and very flexible.

You can use it as a web based service or integrate it into Outlook or Outlook Express/Windows Mail etc.

It will also forward mail to any other email address and also pick up your mail from another email address.

paintermujer Jul 29th 2009 3:15 pm

Thankyou again Fred.

You know everything.:D

lynnxa Jul 31st 2009 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by spain (Post 7794764)
why not hotmail ? it worked fine for me for 6 years in Spain

If you get a Telefonica line you can get an email with them too ...also there is jazztel but not sure if its free

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 7794777)
A lot of people praise google mail too.

I use them both

several different accounts all directed into one gmail account

mikelincs Aug 1st 2009 5:34 am

Originally Posted by spain (Post 7794828)
reading your other thread I note you are renting...is there already a phone line connected ? if not you could have problems getting a line and internet

we rent, had no problems at any of the places we have rented, no contract for telefonica, and you can just transfer when you move. You only need NIE or passport number to get connected. We use Yahoo, google and hotmail as e mail providers, and Yahoo.co.uk as home page.

lynnxa Aug 1st 2009 5:53 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 7803290)
we rent, had no problems at any of the places we have rented, no contract for telefonica, and you can just transfer when you move. You only need NIE or passport number to get connected. We use Yahoo, google and hotmail as e mail providers, and Yahoo.co.uk as home page.

it depends where you are though

we moved about 1km from an apartment in the port to another just along the coast a few years ago only to find that there were no phone lines available in the apartment block!

when it was built a couple of years earlier a line was allocated to each apartment, but as they weren't taken up they were gradually re-allocated to newer blocks going up!

the telefonica infrastructure just hadn't kept up with the building works!

jgombos Aug 3rd 2009 4:55 pm

I suggest avoiding google and yahoo and all the big corporate conglomerates, because they will likely have a mail server Spain.

You have less privacy if you do email in Spain, or any other EU country, because the EU is now logging all email headers. Big bro is watching.

Here is a list of spanish speaking countries:

http://www.donquijote.org/tourist/profiles/

If you need webmail in the spanish language, pick a small email service in a region on that list (other than Spain).

jdr Aug 3rd 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by jgombos (Post 7809024)
I suggest avoiding google and yahoo and all the big corporate conglomerates, because they will likely have a mail server Spain.

You have less privacy if you do email in Spain, or any other EU country, because the EU is now logging all email headers. Big bro is watching.

Here is a list of spanish speaking countries:

http://www.donquijote.org/tourist/profiles/

If you need webmail in the spanish language, pick a small email service in a region on that list (other than Spain).

You are joking, where do they store all the facebook ones then ?
There must be billions of them without all the others.

peter_p Aug 4th 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks.

Hi,
I use terra.es
http://www.terra.es/
The homepage has lots of useful links & I've found it problem-free
suerte

jdr Aug 11th 2009 7:04 pm

Just started using this HERE you can have multi accounts and pick up all your others through it too.

Fred James Aug 11th 2009 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 7833729)
Just started using this HERE you can have multi accounts and pick up all your others through it too.

So what does it do that Gmail doesn't?