Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

what is the average cost ?

what is the average cost ?

Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is the average cost ?

Originally Posted by graymel
When I go out to eat I never think how will what I order effect a countries economy,my economy must come first,most food outlets promote cheap eye catching offers to get you through the door, however after that it's always down to choice.

I take the point you get what you pay for if it's 6 euros or 600 euros but whats in your wallet/purse will dictate that choice, all posts are good and have valid points.

PS where can I find the euro symbol on a keyboard
€ is Alt Gr + 4. I'm not wealthy, but I don't mind paying for good food and I'd rather support the local farmer selling free range eggs. I don't have kids myself, but I'm sure some of the pensioners on this forum have children or grandkids, so they should start thinking what they're doing to them if they only want to spend €6 for a meal. If nobody's willing to pay more, how will we ever get out of this mess?
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
It may be Portugal but the issue is the same, there does seem to be a culture among some expats to seek out the cheapest meal of the day.
Be it a shapeless, tasteless greasy lump of meat or a small fish that has spent more of its life at the bottom of the deep freeze than the sea.
I do not blame the restaurant owners they are just satisfying a market and trying to cover their costs.
We look for the places that are popular with the locals rather than the cheapest.
We have had some very good meals for 10-12 euros and if we do not get a table early then forget it.
I don't know where the idea has come from that the cheap food places in Spain cater for expats and tourists - they do not. The ventas which do cheap MDD's are very much aimed at the working Spanish - not tourists or expats.

Some of them are huge - hundreds of covers and they turn each table over several times per session. The fare is formulaic, high energy fodder for the masses - nothing wrong with that, it serves a purpose.

Some of the more experienced expats might seek them out for a cheap meal but not many.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I don't know where the idea has come from that the cheap food places in Spain cater for expats and tourists - they do not. The ventas which do cheap MDD's are very much aimed at the working Spanish - not tourists or expats.

Some of them are huge - hundreds of covers and they turn each table over several times per session. The fare is formulaic, high energy fodder for the masses - nothing wrong with that, it serves a purpose.

Some of the more experienced expats might seek them out for a cheap meal but not many.
The food in ventas is generally pretty good - and excellent value

That isnt where most expats get their menu del dias from
Old Oct 13th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

graymel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
€ is Alt Gr + 4. I'm not wealthy, but I don't mind paying for good food and I'd rather support the local farmer selling free range eggs. I don't have kids myself, but I'm sure some of the pensioners on this forum have children or grandkids, so they should start thinking what they're doing to them if they only want to spend €6 for a meal. If nobody's willing to pay more, how will we ever get out of this mess?
Thanks Moses2013 for euro symbol tip,good point regarding what food we feed to our children
But not sure that paying more for meals would change the economical climate though.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graymel
Thanks Moses2013 for euro symbol tip,good point regarding what food we feed to our children
But not sure that paying more for meals would change the economical climate though.
Well we all know that if you sell a 3 course meal for €6 it's quality and staff wages that suffer. There are enough good restaurants that use quality produce and pay their staff a decent wage, but if nobody wants to spend €15-20€ the situation will never improve.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
This hits the nail on the head exactly. Around here many of the cafe/bars offer cheap meals such as this because their customer is the Spanish labourer from the farms, it is the passing truck driver, it is the passing salesman.

The prices are cheap because the SPANISH won't pay any more for what to them is a working lunch, six days a week. Think of it another way, would you go into restaurant and spend £20 on your lunch, or buy a McDonalds every day? of course you wouldn't. So neither do the Spanish believe in paying 20€ for a mid day meal when you can get it for 6€.

That us Brits can do the same is just fortunate. However the original post was can they live on a certain amount of money per month. The answer is yes you can if you want to be frugal. Or like some have posted, yes you can but we wouldn't, we'd prefer to blow 20€ a day rather than say we had a cheap menu del dia.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 3:40 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree and these people paying €6 for a meal then wonder why our economy is failing.

Hmm... well, here's one of many such places around here that's extremely successful and has a good staff that certainly seem happy, and they've all been working there as long as I can remember. Packed to the gills every lunchtime and every night - seats about 650 people. VERY popular with the locals.

And by the way, the food is pretty good, too. Most of the main courses are priced at €3-€6, but by the time you're done - including wine and a dessert, you spend €12-€16 per person.

Es Cruce - Gastronòmicament

Originally Posted by stuboy
I too have sampled many cheap MDD and after a while you get tired of limp salad followed by lomo and fries and a tiny pot of desert from the freezer.

You get what you pay for. And at a crappy pathetic six euros no-one wins.

You get a crap meal and the bar owner earns nothing.

At six euros when you deduct the IVA and the staff cost alone there's very little left.
Right, then. After claiming everything is much more expensive in Spain, we've discovered that many things are actually much cheaper, so, despite it originally having been "not true", now it's "just not worth having" at that price...

Well, visitors who ranked this particular place Tripadvisor seem to have a different opinion...

El Cruce, Vilafranca de Bonany - Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Anyway, to the OP.. it depends on what you fancy. If you "must" have British comfort food purchased from a "British" store or served at a British restaurant in a British expat area, then expect to pay more.

Otherwise, if a non-British steak with locall-grown potatoes and fresh Broccoli will do, it's probably going to be a lot cheaper.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

A lot is cheap on that menu but the photographs of the food are hardly flattering and it seems to me a place where you are in and out in no time so not really a restaurant more a fast food joint.

I did note some dishes are more expensive eg.Hake 10 euros, Ribeye steak 14 euros. I could easily get that in the uk at those prices albeit not in a "restaurant"

The restaurants I frequent in Spain are Spanish owned and run catering mainly for the Spanish. Apart from alcohol the prices are similar to those in the UK.

And please do not try to tell me a mallorcan potato is superior to a new British potato. There is no comparison.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
A lot is cheap on that menu but the photographs of the food are hardly flattering and it seems to me a place where you are in and out in no time so not really a restaurant more a fast food joint.
Come on, if you think that is a fast food joint then you know nothing about food. Fast food restaurants are about heating up frozen food, this looks to be all home cooked food

The prices are very cheap because it is about attracting large numbers of people and offering them tasty good value food. It is not a late night restaurant experience. If it were, then the prices would be doubled and the food would be presented more elegantly. The food would probably taste very similar though

The food in places like this across Spain is usually great, and there is nothing to compare it to in the UK. Cheap food in the UK is prepared in factories, frozen and warmed up in microwaves
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Think of it another way, would you go into restaurant and spend £20 on your lunch, or buy a McDonalds every day? of course you wouldn't.
There are many who do. I have customers that have lunch 5/6 days a week and spend usually £10-12 on food plus a beer or glass of wine per person and don't bat an eyelid at the price.

I can't speak for McDonalds but I'm pretty sure you can find a deal for something in that god forbidden chain.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

There are loads of pensioners who are so well off, that they don't have to budget, but equally, many just have a state pension, and perhaps another small pension or savings, and a MDD is a weekly treat.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuboy
I can't speak for McDonalds but I'm pretty sure you can find a deal for something in that god forbidden chain.
Well actually in Ireland you can get a menu at MC for €6 and I'm pretty sure the quality of meat(beef) will be better than the places in Spain that offer a 3 course meal at the same price.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Cheap food in the UK is prepared in factories, frozen and warmed up in microwaves
Explain to me why most Spanish restaurants (as do the UK) have large freezers in their kitchens as well as microwaves I am sure they are not empty or not used.

There are also frozen food aisles in the supermarkets as well as stand alone shops selling nothing but frozen food.

If you believe that all the food you get served in Spanish restaurants is fresh you are deluded, especially the seafood.

I use a couple of cafe/bars locally where the seafood is fresh but you pay a premium for it over other cafe/bars.

Last edited by johnnyone; Oct 15th 2014 at 12:13 am.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:18 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Explain to me why most Spanish restaurants (as do the UK) have large freezers in their kitchens as well as microwaves I am sure they are not empty or not used.

There are also frozen food aisles in the supermarkets as well as stand alone shops selling nothing but frozen food.

If you believe that all the food you get served in Spanish restaurants is fresh you are deluded, especially the seafood.

I use a couple of cafe/bars locally where the seafood is fresh but you pay a premium for it over other cafe/bars.
Actually in some restaurants if you get any vegetables at all they come out of a jar.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not all restaurants no. But in the ventas and the restaurants like amideislas posted the food is cooked there and then. You can often see the kitchens from the tables as they are open plan and see the massive pots of arroz meloso (or whatever it may be) cooking away.

I've seen it everywhere I have been in Spain. Extended families (often led by the abuela!) all cooking away in the kitchens, using homemade recipes for when lots of people come (usually) on Sunday. It is one of the highpoints of life in Spain

The secret is to find these great places rather than the cr*p they give to tourists. And whether you live in Spain or not, most Brits in Spain are still tourists

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.