British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   What is...................?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/what-429386/)

mitzipurr Feb 21st 2007 6:04 pm

What is...................??

A buchle (booklay) or buplay (booplay)??

Have been told by Telefonica that the reason I am unable to have an ADSL connection either normal or Rural is because the above is faulty or not strong enough??

Would love to know what it is....

:confused:

keithwalters Feb 21st 2007 6:15 pm

Re: What is...................??

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4438472)

Have been told by Telefonica that the reason I am unable to have an ADSL connection either normal or Rural is because the above is faulty or not strong enough??

:lol:

i think you mean "bucle".

Bucle is a type of loop - not sure how it fits into your context though.

Andy Pipken Feb 21st 2007 6:19 pm

I think the word you are looking for is BUGGER
did they call you a BUGGER worst still if they put the word POCO in front of it :p

mitzipurr Feb 21st 2007 6:28 pm

Hi Keith

The 'excuse' was that the bucle in the Central which is located in Chiclana is not strong enough to bring in the ADSL signal?? Does that make any sense at all as I have had the same excuse since May 31 2006!!

As for you Andy I think I will try those words out next time I talk to them - poco loco buggeeer!!

MnM Feb 21st 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4438571)
Hi Keith

The 'excuse' was that the bucle in the Central which is located in Chiclana is not strong enough to bring in the ADSL signal?? Does that make any sense at all as I have had the same excuse since May 31 2006!!

As for you Andy I think I will try those words out next time I talk to them - poco loco buggeeer!!

Bucle, quite literally means "curl" and since I've no experience regarding telephone terminology, I have no idea what it means :( Sorry!

jdr Feb 21st 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by MnM (Post 4439016)
Bucle, quite literally means "curl" and since I've no experience regarding telephone terminology, I have no idea what it means :( Sorry!

Something to do with andy`s hair ?

MnM Feb 21st 2007 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4439061)
Something to do with andy`s hair ?

*lol*.......did he get a perm?

Wait....I found this too:

Supply of Curl to Subscriber (OBA)

Conditions for the access to the subscriber curl of the fixed telephone public network.

New version of September of 2006.

The Supply of the Curl of Subscriber is the Document of Reference that is offered to the operators with the objective to fulfill the requirements of the sectorial regulation, communitarian as as much national, on opening to the competition of the subscriber curl property of the dominant operators.

Can anyone make any sense out of it? :)

jdr Feb 21st 2007 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by MnM (Post 4439079)
*lol*.......did he get a perm?

Wait....I found this too:

Supply of Curl to Subscriber (OBA)

Conditions for the access to the subscriber curl of the fixed telephone public network.

New version of September of 2006.

The Supply of the Curl of Subscriber is the Document of Reference that is offered to the operators with the objective to fulfill the requirements of the sectorial regulation, communitarian as as much national, on opening to the competition of the subscriber curl property of the dominant operators.

Can anyone make any sense out of it? :)

They probably mean call not curl ;-) they must of used babelfish translator.

MnM Feb 21st 2007 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4439093)
They probably mean call not curl ;-) they must of used babelfish translator.

*hands on hips....toe a tap tap tappin*.....where are all the native Spanish speakers when ya need them, huh? *l*

This is the spanish version of the above, but bucle definitely means curl :)

Oferta de Bucle de Abonado (OBA)

Condiciones para el acceso al bucle de abonado de la red pública teléfonica fija.

Nueva versión de septiembre de 2006.

La Oferta del Bucle de Abonado es el Documento de Referencia que se ofrece a los operadores con el objetivo de cumplir con los requerimientos de la regulación sectorial, tanto comunitaria como nacional, sobre apertura a la competencia del bucle de abonado propiedad de los operadores dominantes.

anabella Feb 21st 2007 9:05 pm

Bucle in that context means link..

MnM Feb 21st 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by anabella (Post 4439171)
Bucle in that context means link..

Hi anabella,

Yes, my mind just clicked and I guessed it meant a circuit of some sort. :)

mitzipurr Feb 21st 2007 10:21 pm

Does all this mean that the telephone circuit in Chiclana Central has got bad curls in it?? In other words I am not unique with this problem!!

anabella Feb 22nd 2007 12:59 am

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4439408)
Does all this mean that the telephone circuit in Chiclana Central has got bad curls in it?? In other words I am not unique with this problem!!

Bad links would make a bit more sense..:rolleyes:

culchie Feb 22nd 2007 10:12 am

I had ASDL installed a couple of years ago and then had it taken away again because I was forever on the (expensive) helpline trying to get it reconnected. There are definitely parts of Chiclana that are not user-friendly to this technology.

gudes Feb 22nd 2007 12:18 pm

As somebody has already pointed out the word is "bucle", loop, the line connecting you to the telephone exchange. It could be that you are too far to have DSL (5 Km is far these days) but it could also be that you do have a "bad loop", in this case Telefonica should be able to fix it (given enough time :o ). It could also be that you do have TRAC (wireless telephone system which is supposed to have disappeared in 2004 and can't carry Internet traffic).

The following link should be able to tell you if you could have DSL

http://www.telefonicaonline.com/on/p...rvlet/no32hojg

If they say yes, you might have faulty loop and telefonica does not want to deal with your problem. Call them once a week. Be nice but persistant.

This issue (Internet access in Spain) shows up very often in this board because in rural areas is a problem (in Spain and everywhere else).

My advice:
- check your Internet access options before you buy a house.
- otherwise, look into new options (for rural areas)
* Iberbanda (WiMax). New technology being deployed you might need patience
* Satellite (including uplink for Internet access). Not the best, but in many cases your only option
* UMTS (3G cellular system with 300+ Kbs for data). Only if available in your area or if you are the wealthy type.
* Look into establishing a WiFi link to a friend up to 20 Kms away already connected to the Internet. Yes this is a possibility, it's cheap, and can be done with a directional antenna if you have direct view with your friend. Keep quite about it since WiFi sprectrum (frequency) is free but the power you can xmit is limited by law and quite likely you are going to need some power in your antenna to reach your friends antenna. This is a point-to-point link.

Any questions?

De nada

mitzipurr Feb 22nd 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Gudes

Thanks for reply.

1. I am only 1,1 kms from Chiclana

2. In my other house I was 4 kms in campo and had ADSL working perfectly

3. Have checked on website and my telephone number says yes!!

4. Have telephone pole in garden

5. I have been asking Telefonica about the service since May 31 2006 how much longer do you think I need to wait for them to fix it??

Do you think if I had another telephone line installed this would solve it all or will it be caught up in the same bucle???

gudes Feb 22nd 2007 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4442365)
Hi Gudes
3. Have checked on website and my telephone number says yes!!
4. Have telephone pole in garden
5. I have been asking Telefonica about the service since May 31 2006 how much longer do you think I need to wait for them to fix it??

Do you think if I had another telephone line installed this would solve it all or will it be caught up in the same bucle???

Let me ask you a question first. Did you have ADSL service in your current place but it does not work or you never had it? I'll assume, since you are in Chiclana, some of your neighbors have ADSL. Is this correct? I am asking this because Telefonica needs to install additional equipment in the exchange to handle ADSL. They only do this once they have enough customers in that area to justify the cost. So a "YES you could have ADSL with your number" from Telefonica could mean that "You are close enough to the exchange office" although they might not have the equipment installed yet and we are fishing for customers.

Do you have an ADSL router at home or you are still waiting for Telefonica to send you one?

mitzipurr Feb 22nd 2007 4:34 pm

Hi Gudes

In answer to yours....

1. As far as I know the previous occupant of the house had ADSL and telephone line which he cancelled when he sold

2. We only have 2 full time neighbours and they are not interested in ADSL

3. As for routers I have a healthy collection - as every month when I order ADSL a new one gets shipped even though I told them I already have a wifi router from my old house???

I am happy to pay for a new telephone line if you think this would help and cancel this one once it is up and running...

I would cross your palms with silver if you can offer a solution!!!

gudes Feb 22nd 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4442474)
Hi Gudes

In answer to yours....

1. As far as I know the previous occupant of the house had ADSL and telephone line which he cancelled when he sold

3. As for routers I have a healthy collection - as every month when I order ADSL a new one gets shipped even though I told them I already have a wifi router from my old house???

I am happy to pay for a new telephone line if you think this would help and cancel this one once it is up and running...

Here is how it works. You need to connect the router (DSL router, your WiFi router might not include DSL) to your phone line (the connector says LINEA) before calling Telefonica. Check the "ADSL" light in from of the box. If you don't see the light :D tell that to Telefonica. Insist that the issue a "work order" to fix your problem. The technicians will hopefully get involved at that time. Last time I called they shown up at my house the following day and fixed the problem. They'll charge for that.

If your router's DSL light is ON it means you are connected and might need to check IP addresses and stuff like that but you should have the information about how to proceed from the router's manual.

If you need additional information email me by clicking my username.
As for the silver... be careful: Spaniards are proud people (at least some are) and they might be wealthy... a friendly advice. :D

mitzipurr Feb 22nd 2007 5:31 pm

Hi Gudes

Thanks a lot for your great help.

I have plugged in the router but the DSL light does not come on.

When you say contact Telefonica to ask for a work order do you mean on the 1004 number or the 902357000 which is for internet??

Cheers and will pm you if there is anything else...:beer:

About the silver bit hope nobody on the forum was offended??

gudes Feb 22nd 2007 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by mitzipurr (Post 4442671)
Hi Gudes

Thanks a lot for your great help.

I have plugged in the router but the DSL light does not come on.

When you say contact Telefonica to ask for a work order do you mean on the 1004 number or the 902357000 which is for internet??

The 902... number. Yes insist on a work order. It sounds silly but it's the way it works.

Good luck.