Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What 1 Piece of Info you would offer new buyers?

What 1 Piece of Info you would offer new buyers?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What 1 Piece of Info you would offer new buyers?

Mine would be do not tell the agent your true spend amount, undervalue by 20 thousand or so.
What brought this on? Well watching a property program here in the UK and not a single property offered was under the buyers maximum limit.

Which reminded me of our case. Out of 15 properties we viewed, not a single one came under our maximum amount and the one we plumped for was actually 46.000€ more than our limit! Now bearing in mind our upper limit we told the agent we had was with 10% added for expenses, it can work out a lot more than the buyer expects.

Caveat Emptor!!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What 1 Piece of Info you would offer new buyers?

1 piece? Can't I offer several? Okay, I reckon it is...

* Find out what independent solicitors are recommended by the builder / agent and THEN FIND A DIFFERENT ONE.

We learned the hard way about how independent 'independent' solicitors really are. Doesn't matter if your agent claims to be the very largest, most experienced, most reputable agent on the planet... if they were genuinely reputable they would know never to recommend a solicitor.

Get your OWN solicitor, as only then will they be giving you the best advice.

(oh, and never, never, NEVER give your solicitor PoA...)
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twyntub
1 piece? Can't I offer several? Okay, I reckon it is...

* Find out what independent solicitors are recommended by the builder / agent and THEN FIND A DIFFERENT ONE.

We learned the hard way about how independent 'independent' solicitors really are. Doesn't matter if your agent claims to be the very largest, most experienced, most reputable agent on the planet... if they were genuinely reputable they would know never to recommend a solicitor.

Get your OWN solicitor, as only then will they be giving you the best advice.

(oh, and never, never, NEVER give your solicitor PoA...)

And so say all of us
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Mine would be do not tell the agent your true spend amount, undervalue by 20 thousand or so.
What brought this on? Well watching a property program here in the UK and not a single property offered was under the buyers maximum limit.

Which reminded me of our case. Out of 15 properties we viewed, not a single one came under our maximum amount and the one we plumped for was actually 46.000€ more than our limit! Now bearing in mind our upper limit we told the agent we had was with 10% added for expenses, it can work out a lot more than the buyer expects.

Caveat Emptor!!
That a fool and there money are soon parted.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by septimus
That a fool and there money are soon parted.
You're a man of few words aren't you!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:29 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee

Caveat Emptor!!

My one piece would be make an offer do not pay the asking price unlike the UK your house in Spain can be on the market for 5 years or more in many areas.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:08 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Do not buy anything you can't see. For example, don't buy a ruin on the assumption you will be allowed to rebuild it, don't buy a small house on the promise you will be able to extend it, don't buy a place without electricity thinking you'll be able to have it put in, don't buy off-plan.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Look for a little box nailed to the house that says electrickery on it.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dont listen to those that say don't buy off plan .... with the right research and thought its no more risky than buying resales
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Dont listen to those that say don't buy off plan .... with the right research and thought its no more risky than buying resales
If you want to end up living in a building site, show me an urbanization that is finished and all sold.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest downside is that you're rarely told the risks and problems that are involved - developments have been widely reported in the Brit press in Spain to have problems such as no electricity supply or dangerous water (some woman the other week was told not to bath her baby as the builder's water contained dangerous chemicals that could do long term damage), along with multiple legal and planning issues which could rumble on for years.

To be fair, there are also plenty developments that have nothing like these problems. Naturally, it's not in the interests of the press to report these positive stories!

I also have to comment that many of the problems are in no small part caused by buyers (us Brits included) being somehow happy to complete without all the paperwork in place, and live 'under siege conditions' like it's the third world ("don't worry, it's normal, this is Spain"). We've lived in a couple of Spanish houses, they've both had drinkable mains water and a mains electricity supply. Why wouldn't they??
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:07 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
If you want to end up living in a building site, show me an urbanization that is finished and all sold.
Mine!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Mine!
Was it built in the last year or so?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:18 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by twyntub
The biggest downside is that you're rarely told the risks and problems that are involved - developments have been widely reported in the Brit press in Spain to have problems such as no electricity supply or dangerous water (some woman the other week was told not to bath her baby as the builder's water contained dangerous chemicals that could do long term damage), along with multiple legal and planning issues which could rumble on for years.

To be fair, there are also plenty developments that have nothing like these problems. Naturally, it's not in the interests of the press to report these positive stories!
Exactly my point. No one is going to runa news story on how happy Mr & Mrs So and so are in their Urb. Everything went well, all are happy ...... not good newspaper / TV articles.

Yet someone else having their villa knocked down is a real interest story and will get plastered accross the front pages and even on the news. The UK are now making TC progs about holiday homes from hell, people who's buisnesses have gone wrong etc etc .... how boring would it be to follow around a couple who were completely happy!!!!

As I say over and over again, extensive research is key.
Usual stuff like independent solicitors
At the Urb, go and knock on people doors and ask them what their purchase was like
Look for electricity meters outside the houses
If you can, check with the town hall about the plans
If you dont want the inconvenience of building around you for a time then buy a plot an a semi urb part of the urb. There were 5 in ours (although you wouldn't call this an urb by normal standards, it has more the feeling of a town) and we had a bit of noise for the first 6 - 8 months.

Balanced views are needed on this subject, its all to easy for people to write off new builds because things have happened (and serious things I admit) in some areas. But it doesn't mean it has to happen to "you". I did it, so its not impossible.

Oh, and btw I've heard of plenty of nightmares to do with re sales as well, we've had a few on here haven't we with extensions not registered, illegal work, and debts registered agaonst them at the last moment from the outgoing sellers.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:19 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
Was it built in the last year or so?
It was built, I guess, nearly 4 years ago and we have been living permanently in it for 18 months. We came here regularly before that and the only "problems" we had was the noise from them digging out a pool in the rocks about 700 meters away from us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.