Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the future.

Welcome to the future.

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:09 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to the future.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I would say no - Islam and Judaism are religious beliefs. The diet is just one of the requirements that followers of these religions usually adopt. But not all do.
I'm afraid you are wrong. Halal and Kosher are integral parts of their religious beliefs, they cannot be separated. You can't just opt out from these rules, if you are Jewish and adherent then you can't eat pork and all your food has to be kosher, simple.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

About 15 percent of Jews in America today keep kosher.
Some Jews today consider Jewish Dietary Laws to be ancient health regulations that are no longer necessary as a result of modern methods of food preparation. Others are not knowledgeable about kosher laws. And others yet, who may view Jewish Dietary Laws as important and who may have knowledge of them, may chose not to observe them because of the added expense and inconvenience their observance can entail.
If there is no halal available then a Muslim is allowed to eat non-halal food
Islam has laws regarding which foods can and cannot be eaten and also on the proper method of slaughtering an animal for consumption, known as dhabihah. However if there is no other food available then a Muslim is allowed to eat non-halal food. … the only requirement according to Sharia Law is to pray before when consuming non-halal foods.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:22 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OK, you give me a link to a site called Boycott Halal... Brilliant.

Secondly, I challenge you to find any observant Jews who would agree with not eating Kosher, the article talks about AMERICAN conservative and reform Jews. Why should anyone have to settle for anything less than what they ant to eat or drink? If they have money and want to part with that and get what they want from people who are happy to provide then why would you not want a slice of that?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
OK, you give me a link to a site called Boycott Halal... Brilliant.

Secondly, I challenge you to find any observant Jews who would agree with not eating Kosher, the article talks about AMERICAN conservative and reform Jews. Why should anyone have to settle for anything less than what they ant to eat or drink? If they have money and want to part with that and get what they want from people who are happy to provide then why would you not want a slice of that?
OK, you win. You are always right, after all - your signature says so! But that doesn't change the fact that I have worked with many people who regard themselves as Jews and Muslims but choose to ignore the diet rules.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:43 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Without all the hysterics about halal., my question about mixing halal with pork diners is a valid one, and it is in response as to why it could be a good idea or not to go halal.

RM said that it was a no brainer and serving halal would be of benefit to a business bacause of the affluent muslim travellers.

I think to be able to make an informed business desicion things have to be looked into and studied more, than "in 20 years 1/3 of the world will be muslim" type statements.

If a place stops serving alchol to attract the muslim euro/pound etc, would the sale of soft drinks from the new customers be enought to be viable.

If a restaurant wishes to cater for halal, would that be enough that the meat served complied with religious beliefs, or would a whole new set of recepies and dishes be needed to entice the new muslim customers in.

IE would they be satified with chicken fillet and chips, if the chicken was halal, I personally dont think so, they would rightly expect the same sort of meal they are used to at home in their own courntry.
So quite possibly a native chef would have to be employed.

If halal food cannot be prepared in the same kitchen as pork products, then would tthe new halal eating customers make up for the lack of spending the local would have spent on their magra, pork fillet, chorizo etc. would it suffice just to have a separate prep and storage area for halal food?

I would challange the "no brainer" comment from RM and say it would be more like NO BRAIN if someone changed into a halal eaterie without knowing what the implications of such a radical move would be.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:44 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
OK, you win. You are always right, after all - your signature says so! But that doesn't change the fact that I have worked with many people who regard themselves as Jews and Muslims but choose to ignore the diet rules.
I am Jewish and I eat pork, happily. I know muslims who drink but we are not talking about them here. We are talking about people already out there who are seeking out halal establishments. You seem happy not to recognise what threads are about and to take them in your own special direction. Oh and as to the first part of your post, come on, we are all adults here!
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Without all the hysterics about halal., my question about mixing halal with pork diners is a valid one, and it is in response as to why it could be a good idea or not to go halal.

RM said that it was a no brainer and serving halal would be of benefit to a business bacause of the affluent muslim travellers.

I think to be able to make an informed business desicion things have to be looked into and studied more, than "in 20 years 1/3 of the world will be muslim" type statements.

If a place stops serving alchol to attract the muslim euro/pound etc, would the sale of soft drinks from the new customers be enought to be viable.

If a restaurant wishes to cater for halal, would that be enough that the meat served complied with religious beliefs, or would a whole new set of recepies and dishes be needed to entice the new muslim customers in.

IE would they be satified with chicken fillet and chips, if the chicken was halal, I personally dont think so, they would rightly expect the same sort of meal they are used to at home in their own courntry.
So quite possibly a native chef would have to be employed.

If halal food cannot be prepared in the same kitchen as pork products, then would tthe new halal eating customers make up for the lack of spending the local would have spent on their magra, pork fillet, chorizo etc. would it suffice just to have a separate prep and storage area for halal food?

I would challange the "no brainer" comment from RM and say it would be more like NO BRAIN if someone changed into a halal eaterie without knowing what the implications of such a radical move would be.
Just a thought, would the Muslim traveller trust a non-Muslim host to provide the goods as required?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:51 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Just a thought, would the Muslim traveller trust a non-Muslim host to provide the goods as required?
I can see you have a handle on this

And i still havent had a yes no answer to the question.

Would it be acceptable to muslims to have pork products prepared and eaten in the same place as halal.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:55 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of fried chicken shops in London now claim to seve halal chicken (and I've seen this advertised in other UK cities too). It's just my observation but it doesn't seem to have stopped non-Muslim Brits from using those places. The slaughtering of the animal may be done a different way, but it's still chicken on the plate?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
The vast majority of fried chicken shops in London now claim to seve halal chicken (and I've seen this advertised in other UK cities too). It's just my observation but it doesn't seem to have stopped non-Muslim Brits from using those places. The slaughtering of the animal may be done a different way, but it's still chicken on the plate?
I am not talking about non-muslims eating halal food, non muslims are not required to refreain from eating any food, you are confusing the issue as usual.

We are not talking about the places in the UK that are halal, we were talking about investing in opening a halal eaterie to accommodate the new muslim traveller, keep up.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I can see you have a handle on this

And i still havent had a yes no answer to the question.

Would it be acceptable to muslims to have pork products prepared and eaten in the same place as halal.
In hospitals for sure there are different areas for the preparation of halal and other foods and I believe this is acceptable to the Muslim patient as it really is the best we can do and the best that they can expect in a non-Muslim country but the difference is that when they are in hospital they have no choice. When they are on the High Street with their £ in their pocket and a choice then I suspect they would prefer that there was no pig products within a hundred miles of the place.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:01 am
Banned

In hospitals for sure there are different areas for the preparation of halal and other foods and I believe this is acceptable to the Muslim patient as it really is the best we can do and the best that they can expect in a non-Muslim country but the difference is that when they are in hospital they have no choice. When they are on the High Street with their £ in their pocket and a choice then I suspect they would prefer that there was no pig products within a hundred miles of the place.
what I thought too.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:04 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I am not talking about non-muslims eating halal food, non muslims are not required to refreain from eating any food, you are confusing the issue as usual.

We are not talking about the places in the UK that are halal, we were talking about investing in opening a halal eaterie to accommodate the new muslim traveller, keep up.
So what are you saying? Muslims won't eat western food? (I see plenty in the fried chicken/Costa Coffee/ chip shops on Edgware Road)?

The only thing you've said that makes sense is that devout Muslims wouldn't trust a halal place that also served pork products.

But I can assure you I know Muslims in the UK who are happy eating roast lamb, or fish and chips. Why wouldn't they like to sample gazpacho, tortilla de patatas or even paella, if it's on a menu?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
This thread is getting confusing. I thought we were talking about the projected growth in tourism to non-muslim countries by Muslims who are demanding or would like accommodation (as RM initial link highlighted) that is 100% in accordance with their beliefs. We are not talking about current practices or already westenised or seasoned Muslim travellers.
The question is; Is there sufficient demand for a totally observant buisness whether it be hotel, restaurant or whatever?
I think there probably is a demand but only in certain geographical areas.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:13 am
Not Banned (yet)

This thread is getting confusing. I thought we were talking about the projected growth in tourism to non-muslim countries by Muslims who are demanding or would like accommodation (as RM initial link highlighted) that is 100% in accordance with their beliefs. We are not talking about current practices or already westenised or seasoned Muslim travellers.
Many of the Muslims you'll see on the Edgware Road are in traditional dress and not people I'd assume as westernised. I could be wrong though.

The question is; Is there sufficient demand for a totally observant buisness whether it be hotel, restaurant or whatever?
I think there probably is a demand but only in certain geographical areas.
I think you're right in that, and I suspect that RM probably agrees. The point is, it could be a growing area. Which again, I think is RM's point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.