Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the future.

Welcome to the future.

Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to the future.

Originally Posted by decon.YA
There has always been working mothers of three who had time to cook in the past, of course organisation was they key.

Today too many sit on their arses on tinterweb for hours on end,
and then say they have no time.

My mother and mother in law would have kicked my wifes butt off the computer and told her to peel some spuds or descale a fish.
What's wrong with kicking YOUR butt off the computer and putting a paring knife in your hand?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 5:59 pm
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lynn R
What's wrong with kicking YOUR butt off the computer and putting a paring knife in your hand?
Why would I want to do that
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:14 pm
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Well, that's fine for people who have the time. Not sure a working mother of three would find that an easy option.
She should have kept her knees closer together then.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Well, that's fine for people who have the time. Not sure a working mother of three would find that an easy option.
Well I managed to work full time while looking after the family, I cooked a two course meal every single night, always using fresh ingredients not processed rubbish.
I also used to prepare packed lunches for us all, it's just a case of being organised and not being glued to the TV or sat at the computer until the work is done.

For people to say they don't have the time is just nonsense and laziness, as you can always make extra and freeze it for a day when you really are a bit rushed.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by megmet
Well I managed to work full time while looking after the family, I cooked a two course meal every single night, always using fresh ingredients not processed rubbish.
I also used to prepare packed lunches for us all, it's just a case of being organised and not being glued to the TV or sat at the computer until the work is done.

For people to say they don't have the time is just nonsense and laziness, as you can always make extra and freeze it for a day when you really are a bit rushed.
My feeling exactly, and never mind the computer, what about the ones always hooked up to mobiles, sending messages.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

we have one main meal a day, in the evening, and as previously posted elsewhere on BE, everything used is fresh. Fresh meat from the butchers or fish from the fishmonger, although we do use the freezer, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit.
even the bread is locally made in little shoppe round the corner.

the only processed items are pate on my sarnies and processed ham on the BH's sarnies.
Oh yes - I have to admit that the marmalade on breakfast toast must be called processed.

its not hard, as you say its all a question of the will and organisation.
and the amount of waste is virtually nil, as any overcook ends up being used the next day or so, usually only the smallest amount of preparation waste.

`
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:56 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Oh yes - I have to admit that the marmalade on breakfast toast must be called processed.
Depending upon what is meant by 'processed' the toast must also be included and the butter (if used).
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Depending upon what is meant by 'processed' the toast must also be included and the butter (if used).
I'll grant you the butter, though it's churned so not really the same thing!

As for bread.....personally I make my own.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I'll grant you the butter, though it's churned so not really the same thing!

As for bread.....personally I make my own.
So you are the one that takes flour that is processed grass seed and mixes it with other ingredients in a process to produce bread.

Even water that comes from a town supply is processed.
Smug smiles from the well owners
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

You're lucky to live in an area where you can go & buy "Seville" oranges. We cannot buy them here at all; have to go to France for them!!

Have you tried making marmalade? Dead easy, really & with less sugar, plus whisky or coñac added at the end, the best way to start a day.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
You're lucky to live in an area where you can go & buy "Seville" oranges. We cannot buy them here at all; have to go to France for them!!

Have you tried making marmalade? Dead easy, really & with less sugar, plus whisky or coñac added at the end, the best way to start a day.
They grow on trees round here ... And most of them end up in landfill. You can only make so much marmalade!

But nobody calls them Seville oranges of course, you have to ask for naranjas amargas.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:16 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We had 3 seville orange trees. I used to make enough marmalade for a year and also some for friends. Despite that we had to throw boxes and boxes away. It was super marmalade, I miss it!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
We had 3 seville orange trees. I used to make enough marmalade for a year and also some for friends. Despite that we had to throw boxes and boxes away. It was super marmalade, I miss it!
We have loads of the stuff we made nine years ago.
Not sure if it matures for the better or deteriorates with age but it still seems ok anyway.
Always thought there were loads of Seville oranges freely available everywhere, but come to think of it I suppose the climate isn't suitable for them in many inland and northern regions.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
She should have kept her knees closer together then.
I'll pass your advice on to my mum, I'm sure she'll find it very helpful if somewhat too late!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.