Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the future.

Welcome to the future.

Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to the future.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Bumping my own post. Did we have a premonition when we discussed would Muslims patronise a place that sold pork or booze. I now think they wouldn't want to be in a place with a lot of pork around. Just had another though re. above when I said about the British aversion to horsemeat. No way would I eat in a place that had horsemeat on the menu and not even for religious reasons, so I guess Muslims would stay away Look at all the shock horror around now pork DNA has been found in prison patties.
I guess just about everybody would stay away from places serving stuff that is repulsive to them, for whatever reason, if it's sufficiently obtrusive to bother them. My OH is a vegetarian and wouldn't even eat in a restaurant that was next door to one of those Brazilian or Argentinian "all the meat you can eat" places, or a fish restaurant, because he finds the smells wafting over quite nauseating. I wouldn't fancy going somewhere serving horsemeat either, nor even rabbit. I know it's hypocritical because I eat meat, but there you go. OH says if you eat meat you should be prepared to eat anything, dogs, cats, whatever, but no way.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:06 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping my own post. Did we have a premonition when we discussed would Muslims patronise a place that sold pork or booze. I now think they wouldn't want to be in a place with a lot of pork around. Just had another though re. above when I said about the British aversion to horsemeat. No way would I eat in a place that had horsemeat on the menu and not even for religious reasons, so I guess Muslims would stay away Look at all the shock horror around now pork DNA has been found in prison patties.
Aversion to horsemeat is not only a British thing, but exists to a greater or lesser extent throughout all of Europe, even including those countries where quite a lot of horsemeat is consumed.

I was chatting with a Spanish butcher friend last week who said that no way would he ever deal in it and only a small number of butchers in Spain still do so.
A French butcher said it was very unwise to put it on the menu because not only would those who were against it, avoid the place like the plague, but they would also influence all their friends and relations to avoid the restaurant altogether.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I guess just about everybody would stay away from places serving stuff that is repulsive to them, for whatever reason, if it's sufficiently obtrusive to bother them. My OH is a vegetarian and wouldn't even eat in a restaurant that was next door to one of those Brazilian or Argentinian "all the meat you can eat" places, or a fish restaurant, because he finds the smells wafting over quite nauseating. I wouldn't fancy going somewhere serving horsemeat either, nor even rabbit. I know it's hypocritical because I eat meat, but there you go. OH says if you eat meat you should be prepared to eat anything, dogs, cats, whatever, but no way.
Maybe,
personally I'll eat almost all forms of meat within reason, however a veggie friend says she doesn't mind others eating meat, as long as it's not from a carniverous animal that eats meat itself.

Never thought of it that way before myself, but maybe it makes sense.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

With all the new revelations about horse meat, Findus today I would like to know who are testing for what?

Is it just horse DNA or is anybody testing for dog or cat or maybe even rat, after all it's all meat.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:14 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes time they did some spot checks on the Chinkys. Findus 100% horse They should be shut down for good.

I have noticed that when it was horseburgers there were lots of jokes and shrugging of shoulders, saying so what. Then when the pork was found in Muslim food it was a scandal. Various members of the Muslim community were dragged out on Sky etc. Bet they don't have any outraged Mums on who have unwittingly been feeding their kids horse lasagne

A real definitive end to this 14 page thread don't you think...although a lot of the participants seem to be absent
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Funny, but I've only just discovered this thread. Seems to include lots of interesting comments.
We live in the Basque country, & yes, there are Basques who support PP, as indeed do some that support Bildu, PNV, PSOE.
In other words difficult to conclude anything about their politics, other than it's mixed.

Likewise, Muslims.

What is a muslim? Shia, Sunni, Sufi, Alawite, Wahhabi?

What is a Christian? C of E, Pentecostal, Catholic, Methodist, Maronite, Armenian?

In other words, Heinz 57. "Live & let live" I seem to understand is many peoples' opinions on this website. Fair enough, we're only on this planet for a short time. And we're all products of our upbringing & environment.

We have muslim friends who are Algerian, Iranian & Indonesian. Most would be happy to eat with us even if we chose pork & a bottle of wine.

In the end it's a matter of respect for the different cultures without offending the people concerned that is important. So if you know eating pork & wine in front of a muslim will cause offence, eat chicken & coke! Heck, life is too short. I thank God they think like that.

Strength is giving way, or at least to compromise; a great British tradition!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:52 am
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Funny, but I've only just discovered this thread. Seems to include lots of interesting comments.
We live in the Basque country, & yes, there are Basques who support PP, as indeed do some that support Bildu, PNV, PSOE.
In other words difficult to conclude anything about their politics, other than it's mixed.

Likewise, Muslims.

What is a muslim? Shia, Sunni, Sufi, Alawite, Wahhabi?

What is a Christian? C of E, Pentecostal, Catholic, Methodist, Maronite, Armenian?

In other words, Heinz 57. "Live & let live" I seem to understand is many peoples' opinions on this website. Fair enough, we're only on this planet for a short time. And we're all products of our upbringing & environment.

We have muslim friends who are Algerian, Iranian & Indonesian. Most would be happy to eat with us even if we chose pork & a bottle of wine.

In the end it's a matter of respect for the different cultures without offending the people concerned that is important. So if you know eating pork & wine in front of a muslim will cause offence, eat chicken & coke! Heck, life is too short. I thank God they think like that.

Strength is giving way, or at least to compromise; a great British tradition!
I agree, tolerance is the way, but it has to come from all parties concerned, and it seems there is a long way to go.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:36 am
Banned

decon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to alldecon.YA is a name known to all

I have eaten horsemeat, it was OK.

I was asked the other day what I put on my beefburguers, I usually put a fiver each way.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:43 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

You think this will stop at just horsemeat?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
neigh
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
neigh
Stop horsing around!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:37 am
On the road again.

I think I'd draw the line at cannibalism.

A few years back I recall a Hong Kong restaurant owner being prosecuted for serving up steaks that his brother had been slicing off dead bodies in the local morgue.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

True. Wonder what's in Findus chicken pies...wild birds, lizards Of course some Spanish already eat wild birds, including blackbirds so they won't mind
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:58 pm
Banned

True. Wonder what's in Findus chicken pies...wild birds, lizards Of course some Spanish already eat wild birds, including blackbirds so they won't mind
Dont tell me that such a well travelled person as yourself has never eaten seagull souffle?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 1:59 pm
Straw Man.

There is more to come, the NFU have been warning about this sort of food chain security issue for years but the plebs want cheap food and see no wrong with 12 burgers for a quid so screw em, let them get sick and fat, it doesn't bother me, it never will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.