British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Welcome to the future. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/welcome-future-768883/)

Dick Dasterdly Aug 23rd 2012 11:05 am

Re: Welcome to the future.

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10242183)
Traditional pig slaughter, matanza, in Spain is quite similar to halal but without the prayers. One quick cut with a knife and collect the blood to make morcilla. So if you are boycotting halal on grounds of animal welfare, forget all those lovely artesan-made sausages and chorizos ...

I'd rather eat meat killed this way than from animals packed into the back of a lorry, sent 200 miles to a slaughterhouse then suspended upside down in the air on a conveyor belt, thanks.

Unfortunately in the UK probably likewise in Spain most small slaughterhouses and livestock marts were closed down for various reasons making longish road journeys unavoidable in most cases.

I used to live only two doors away from a butcher/slaughterhouse which actually belonged to my family before my time.

It was quite normal for me as a kid to wander in and see various animals hung up and killed simply by having their throats cut and occasionally I'd hold a bucket into which blood was drained for black puddings and such.
If I hung around long enough they sometimes blew me up a pigs bladder to kick around the streets for a football.

Lion in Winter Aug 23rd 2012 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10241948)
Do you think that is different from any other religion? I only know anything about Christianity and I can assure you you won't find a more hypocritical bunch anywhere...

Well it is certainly no more hypocritical to say a Muslim prayer as you slaughter an animal than it is to say "for what we are about to receive, may the lord make us truly thankful" over a big steak on your plate that someone else has conveniently killed for you out of your sight.

Pocaloca Aug 23rd 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10242422)
Well it is certainly no more hypocritical to say a Muslim prayer as you slaughter an animal than it is to say "for what we are about to receive, may the lord make us truly thankful" over a big steak on your plate that someone else has conveniently killed for you out of your sight.

:thumbsup:

HBG Aug 23rd 2012 7:17 pm

To get back to the OPs original point.

It might all be derailed by the inevitable, unavoidable and imminent attack by Israel on the nuclear facilities in Iran. They're talking about weeks now, even before the US election.

Israel will be able to cope with Iran's retaliation, mainly because of the distances involved, but Iran are able to set Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Dubai and others on fire.

That will inevitably bring in the US and the UK. The West can't loose, can't afford to loose, but they will, financially.

Pocaloca Aug 24th 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 10243223)
To get back to the OPs original point.

It might all be derailed by the inevitable, unavoidable and imminent attack by Israel on the nuclear facilities in Iran. They're talking about weeks now, even before the US election.

Israel will be able to cope with Iran's retaliation, mainly because of the distances involved, but Iran are able to set Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Dubai and others on fire.

That will inevitably bring in the US and the UK. The West can't loose, can't afford to loose, but they will, financially.

So WW3 is about to start -doesn't that merit its own thread? :ohmy:

rugbymatt Aug 24th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10244536)

Its been starting for at least the 6 years I've been on this site, along with swine flu, bird flu and Spain leaving the Euro......

Dick Dasterdly Aug 24th 2012 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10244536)

Nah,it's a regular thing.
Usually starts on a Saturday evening, just happens to be a bit earlier this week. ;)

HBG Aug 24th 2012 5:07 pm

WW3? Hardly. We barely take any notice of the Middle East, we've had Iraq, Libya, Syria and now Iran.

These people are not like us, are they? Their religion tells them to kill us, they stone their women for adultery and get up to all sorts of other nonsense that we don't agree with.

Pocaloca Aug 24th 2012 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 10244779)
WW3? Hardly. We barely take any notice of the Middle East, we've had Iraq, Libya, Syria and now Iran.

These people are not like us, are they? Their religion tells them to kill us, they stone their women for adultery and get up to all sorts of other nonsense that we don't agree with.

Was Hitler "like us" then?

Sally Redux Aug 24th 2012 5:09 pm

Best get in first.

gruffbrown Aug 24th 2012 5:16 pm

Just nuke 'em.

rugbymatt Aug 24th 2012 5:36 pm

What we need is some sort of final solution.

HBG Aug 24th 2012 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca (Post 10244784)
Was Hitler "like us" then?

Not so much Hitler, who turned out to be a nutter, but his pal, Franco, was definitely one of the Spanish heroes, and still is in many parts of Spain.

Mitzyboy Aug 24th 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 10244971)
Not so much Hitler, who turned out to be a nutter, but his pal, Franco, was definitely one of the Spanish heroes, and still is in many parts of Spain.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

rugbymatt Aug 24th 2012 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 10244977)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't laugh, I think he's serious.