Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Welcome to the future.

Welcome to the future.

Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:14 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to the future.

Originally Posted by stuboy
This thread is getting confusing. I thought we were talking about the projected growth in tourism to non-muslim countries by Muslims who are demanding or would like accommodation (as RM initial link highlighted) that is 100% in accordance with their beliefs. We are not talking about current practices or already westenised or seasoned Muslim travellers.
The question is; Is there sufficient demand for a totally observant buisness whether it be hotel, restaurant or whatever?
I think there probably is a demand but only in certain geographical areas.
So did I think that we were talking about the future traveller.

Not muslims in the Edgeware road, who eat fried chicken and chips and baked beans on toast because they are British.

Some posters dont get it though.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:16 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I'm afraid you are wrong. Halal and Kosher are integral parts of their religious beliefs, they cannot be separated. You can't just opt out from these rules, if you are Jewish and adherent then you can't eat pork and all your food has to be kosher, simple.
so what if you are Jewish and are not adherent ?

Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:18 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
So did I think that we were talking about the future traveller.

Not muslims in the Edgeware road, who eat fried chicken and chips and baked beans on toast because they are British.

Some posters dont get it though.
I'll repeat for your benefit: Many of the Muslims you'll see on the Edgware Road are in traditional dress and not people I'd assume as westernised. I could be wrong though.

I live quite close to that street, and when I walk down I hear a lot of different languages. I'm told that a lot are exiles and political activists who are biding their time because of regime change back home etc. They are generally not British Muslims in the sense you talk about (eg Pakistani migrants).
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Many of the Muslims you'll see on the Edgware Road are in traditional dress and not people I'd assume as westernised. I could be wrong though.

I think you're right in that, and I suspect that RM probably agrees. The point is, it could be a growing area. Which again, I think is RM's point.

Indeed it could, I am not arguing this point. My point is can you mix both?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it could, I am not arguing this point. My point is can you mix both?
Nando's in the UK seem to think so

http://www.nandos.co.uk/faq/does-nan...-halal-chicken

But I suspect (for reasons given above) it wouldn't work where pork products were served.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll repeat for your benefit: Many of the Muslims you'll see on the Edgware Road are in traditional dress and not people I'd assume as westernised. I could be wrong though.

I live quite close to that street, and when I walk down I hear a lot of different languages. I'm told that a lot are exiles and political activists who are biding their time because of regime change back home etc. They are generally not British Muslims in the sense you talk about (eg Pakistani migrants).
Then you will know the pub "The olde English Gentleman" on the corner as I do. No traditionally dressed Muslim ever ventured through the doors they were however no stranger to the Off-Licence a few doors up. Keeping up appearances is the game for many.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:29 am
Not Banned (yet)

Then you will know the pub "The olde English Gentleman" on the corner as I do. No traditionally dressed Muslim ever ventured through the doors they were however no stranger to the Off-Licence a few doors up. Keeping up appearances is the game for many.
I think that pub closed a few years back, before I moved to the area.
And yes, there are plenty of Muslims who will take a drink, but not in open view.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:31 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Nando's in the UK seem to think so

http://www.nandos.co.uk/faq/does-nan...-halal-chicken

But I suspect (for reasons given above) it wouldn't work where pork products were served.
That is what I am asking about, I admit I am not an authority on muslins UK, Spanish or otherwise, there are some on here or appear to be, that is why I as kf it is compatible to serve halal meat in a restaurant where pork dishes are served.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:35 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I can see you have a handle on this

And i still havent had a yes no answer to the question.

Would it be acceptable to muslims to have pork products prepared and eaten in the same place as halal.
try looking at the question more openly, and include Jews in that, as followers of Islam are actually a branch of Judaism, having copied the strictures and scriptures. They also see Abraham and Jesus as prophets.

the main difference between halal and kashrut is the jews do not say the name of god over each animal slaughtered.
as I understand it most of the animals are on the two lists although kashrut only allows cloven hooves.
sunni's, who comprise the majority of muslims, also follow the jewish way of only eating fish with scales and fins, whilst other parts of the muslim religion allow all types of fish.

so to a greater extent the problem is solved, in that Jews and Muslims could be served the same food.
what is not resolved is whether it is acceptable to have only one prep/cooking area where non approved foods are also cooked. Where "contamination" could occur.

think of it as you would peanuts in the same processing plant.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:40 am

I think that pub closed a few years back, before I moved to the area.
And yes, there are plenty of Muslims who will take a drink, but not in open view.
yes, and look forward to it in the privacy of their own homes or hotel rooms but always in moderation.

I worked for a UK company and dealt with their Saudi agents.
they had a great interest in fine wines, single malts, which were used as bribes - along with bullet proof vests and kevlar helmets for private use.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
try looking at the question more openly, and include Jews in that, as followers of Islam are actually a branch of Judaism, having copied the strictures and scriptures. They also see Abraham and Jesus as prophets.

the main difference between halal and kashrut is the jews do not say the name of god over each animal slaughtered.
as I understand it most of the animals are on the two lists although kashrut only allows cloven hooves.
sunni's, who comprise the majority of muslims, also follow the jewish way of only eating fish with scales and fins, whilst other parts of the muslim religion allow all types of fish.

so to a greater extent the problem is solved, in that Jews and Muslims could be served the same food.
what is not resolved is whether it is acceptable to have only one prep/cooking area where non approved foods are also cooked. Where "contamination" could occur.

think of it as you would peanuts in the same processing plant.
I am asking about halal food and pork, not about jews and muslims eating the same food.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

so what if you are Jewish and are not adherent ?

Do you ever get the impression this thread is a little beyond your scope for understanding? I only ask because you are not actually discussing it, just trying to pick a fight?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:01 pm

I am asking about halal food and pork, not about jews and muslims eating the same food.
but swine is prohibited by both sets of laws, as I said earlier it would be difficult to ensure perfect non-contamination bearing in mind the small prep/cooking areas in most restaurants - unless it was possible to cook the food offsite in an approved manner.

would a different set of untensils and pots/pans have to be used ??
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:04 pm
Banned

but swine is prohibited by both sets of laws, as I said earlier it would be difficult to ensure perfect non-contamination bearing in mind the small prep/cooking areas in most restaurants - unless it was possible to cook the food offsite in an approved manner.

to quote the words of a forum regluar;

If I knew any muslims, which I dont, I could ask them, but as I dont, I cant ................
Old Aug 21st 2012, 12:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

By that rationale vegetarians should stop eating food in restaurants that cook meat right? I know plenty on kitchens who are more than aware of the social sensitivities of vegetarians and run their kitchens on a professional basis accordingly.

As I have said, this is not becoming law people, its not being forced on the good, Christian folk of the world but if you are a struggling restaurant or bar in Spain, why not cash in? If I had somewhere I would be turning it into a halal friendly place and would be advertising where I could!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.