Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Weird story: Insurance Company

Weird story: Insurance Company

Old May 30th 2011, 8:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weird story: Insurance Company

This is a weird story.

I had home insurance with <snip> - that was set up when I completed with <snip> law firm a few years back.

I decided earlier in the year to cancel this insurance company and looked around and found a better quote for us. My friend, a fluent Spanish speaker, kindly arranged for the cancellation of the old policy - and walked me through the process of changing.

Interestingly <snip> have an Ayamonte phone number so we all thought they had an Ayamonte office. The insurance was cancelled by phone and we thought that was it. All over.

However my friend advised me to get a receipt, confirming cancellation, that was offered at the time of closure - after she asked for it. She, like me, is suspicious of dealing with Spanish companies. The guy said we go there or he was happy to come to our place to do that. However as its always a hassle arranging an appointment (meet at the car park - open the gates etc etc) We decided to go into town and do it quickly and directly - then have some lunch which we had already planned to do together.

We arrived at the address on the policy header (also the building where the law firm is based) and found no plaque for <snip>. So my friend called their number, after a tricky discussion the agent told us that <snip> was an agent and to go there for the document.

Of course we get to the office and the receptionist knows nothing about this. We weren't angry or shouting - just quietly explaining that we were just doing what we were told. <snip> happened by at that time and confirmed that he knew nothing about this - said he was law firm not an insurance agent and couldn't understand why we were told to go there. All this makes sense as explained by him. I also explained that we were just following instructions and we had a fluent Spanish speaker with us - so it wasn't a communication problem. <snip> knows our friend too.

He promised to call 'non-stop' till he found the answer and promised to get back to me and we confirmed that my contact details were correct on his database. His point was that he didn't want other customers coming in asking the same thing - when this was not his responsibility. Makes sense.

Result: No call from <snip> and also <snip> still tried to claim on the direct debit. Which I had cancelled, at the bank as well as the phone call, above, to the agent. I was suspicious too. Luckily the bank rejected it (I say 'luckily' for a reason you will see later). Can you imagine the hassle I would have had trying to get a repayment of an incorrectly drawn direct debit?!! Without written proof!!!

I don't know what, if anything, is going on 'behind the scenes' - but all this 'smells weird'. Experiences in Ayamonte/CE have made me very wary of the reality of what I am being told, and I also suspect that the Brits are seen as a 'easy win' by some businesses; EUC; supppliers etc etc.

Whatever, I am very happy that I changed and am out of all this. There may be nothing here and, for example, the lawyer makes sense... but it's all weird to me and I've learned, anything weird here is best avoided.

Its really strange that an insurance company has a local phone number - an agent that takes the policies and (when pushed) tells us that a local lawyer is an agent... the cancellation of contracts and payments aren't done as agreed and there is no clear communication path. Just imagine the hassle we would have had if we had to claim!!

Another thing that concerns me is the ease with which direct debits can be set up. I have done several without signing a thing. The new policy for example was paid out by direct debit, yet there was no document to me to sign and give authority.

Now on one hand this is easier when we are abroad. But on the other hand - it means that effectively anyone can come to the bank and demand money. As long as they have the account details. This has happened with 2 very different accounts that I have in Ayamonte and Huelva. No written authority from me - yet money has been drawn. So far nothing 'wrong' has been taken out and 'luckily' in this case with <snip>, the cancellation was properly done by the bank.

So moral of the story? As they said in 'Hill St Blues' - "Just be careful out there" ... and if something smells... get the hell out!

I personally have many reasons and experiences to be very suspicious .......

Weird eh?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by Sue; May 31st 2011 at 1:14 pm. Reason: Names removed
Old May 30th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird story: Insurance Company

One has to wonder if you had insurance at all? Just out of curiosity at your 'wierd story' I looked up <snip> and their nearest agent is in Huelva. You say you set up the insurance while completing at <snip> - maybe a clerk in his office is working a scam - or maybe acting as a sub-agent on the side unbeknowst to <snip>?
But you're right about the Direct Debits - we revoked our PoA with the lawyers when we completed our purchase but they continue to pay my income taxes on my behalf (sending the bill afterwards). It's very convenient if not the cheapest option but one has to wonder on what authority they take money from my bank account.
Old May 30th 2011, 12:18 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

If the Tel. nr. starts with 959 it does not have to be Ayamonte, it can be elsewhere.

Isn´t there a rule here about naming and shaming?
Old May 31st 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird story: Insurance - local Law firm

Originally Posted by MikeJ
One has to wonder if you had insurance at all? Just out of curiosity at your 'wierd story' I looked up <snip> and their nearest agent is in Huelva. You say you set up the insurance while completing at <snip> - maybe a clerk in his office is working a scam - or maybe acting as a sub-agent on the side unbeknowst to <snip>?
But you're right about the Direct Debits - we revoked our PoA with the lawyers when we completed our purchase but they continue to pay my income taxes on my behalf (sending the bill afterwards). It's very convenient if not the cheapest option but one has to wonder on what authority they take money from my bank account.
Hi Mike

You know, it never occurred to me that there could be a scam going - but nothing would surprise me!! I just thought there was some other 'behind the scenes' thing going - like a commission for example (but that in itself is OK for me). The lawyer himself knew that the company was used by his firm and even named the agent. So is aware of the issues and drives the policy.

Its also a smallish firm who have lost a partner, who moved on, so isnt big enough to have anything going on (I think) without all being aware - including the boss. But I doubt that its anything more than some commission element - which I suppose would make sense if they are insuring a lot of people. I have no issue paying a commission from the insurance co in this circumstance.

I am glad that I am out of it and yes if I wasnt insured before - I was lucky not to have to claim. And I am really happy to be out of this weird situation - whatever the 'real story' is.

The fact also that DD's can be set up without authorisation is just another of those 'strange things' we have to deal with ..... and so anytime I see something weird - I try and get out of it - as I did in this case.

Thanks

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 31st 2011 at 7:13 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:12 am
Just Joined

rumpuss will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jur
If the Tel. nr. starts with 959 it does not have to be Ayamonte, it can be elsewhere.

Isn´t there a rule here about naming and shaming?
As a newbie - what is the rule, can you name and shame or not?
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 7:53 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rumpuss
Well, if you´d like to take it on with a local law firm, good luck to you.

Meanwhile, these are the rules on this forum: http://britishexpats.com/site-rules/
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rumpuss
We don't usually condone it, because more often than not it is a reflection of one persons experience.

In this case you will note that references to the company name have been removed.

It's further worth noting that if you do name and shame, then subsequently if you end up in a legal battle, you have put comments regarding the case on an open forum where anyone can record and copy them