Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

We wanna live where British expats live with young teenagers

We wanna live where British expats live with young teenagers

Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:20 pm
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Fac

djrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant future
Default Re: We wanna live where British expats live with young teenagers

Originally Posted by Stapelmaf
I've read that the Costa Blanca should be the healtiest place to live for people. But, above Motril the temperature is the highest of Spain in winter. And my daughter just needs a high temperature.

And please no plastic fields!

Is there anyone on this forum that lives in Granada or Almeria?
Have you considered the Canaries?
22C during the day, at the moment in Lanzarote.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjh
I believe that´s the Costa Blanca, at least that what I was told by people who moved to Denia about 10 years ago.
I also heard that around 6 years ago - and managed to find evidence in a WHO report

However a quick google just gave me Granada & Sweden also making the same claim!

one day when I have a free month I might pick through the most recent WHO report to find out for sure

anyone got nothing better to do?

here's a link

http://www.who.int/whr/en/index.html
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Granada can get very cold in the winter.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Stapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by djrickyb
Have you considered the Canaries?
22C during the day, at the moment in Lanzarote.
We wanna stay ashore... No boats are planes for us. British will laugh about that probably but we wanna be able to walk to our friends and family if neccessary. That's just a stupid thought mother and daughter share.

And I agree with the WHO that Granada must be at least one of the most healthiest places in the world. Thank you for the link!

And the inlands of Granada are hugely cold in Winter! I'd love to live in a cavehouse but they are in a very cold part of Granada. So that's no option. I have to stay on the seaside of the Hills.

I'm trying to figure out where the secondary schools are in Granada. Because where there are schools, there are children. (Mostly...)

Thanks for all the support, we'll figure it out and than we'll come and have a look.

Last edited by Stapelmaf; Dec 30th 2008 at 7:01 am. Reason: to many spelling mistakes
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:51 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

We wanna stay ashore... No boats are planes for us. British will laugh about that probably but we wanna be able to walk to our friends and family if neccessary. That's just a stupid thought mother and daughter share.

And I agree with the WHO that Granada must be at least one of the most healthiest places in the world. Thank you for the link!

And the inlands of Granada are hugely cold in Winter! I'd love to live in a cavehouse but they are in a very cold part of Granada. So that's no option. I have to stay on the seaside of the Hills.

I'm trying to figure out where the secondary schools are in Granada. Because where there are schools, there are children. (Mostly...)

Thanks for all the support, we'll figure it out and than we'll come and have a look.
just one thought - how old is your daughter?

very few would recommend putting a child over the age of 11 into the spanish education system unless they could already speak spanish
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:59 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is an International School in Almuñecar that may suit and falls in your preferred area of the Granada coast. If you want to avoid the hideous plastic greenhouses then I would stick to the area between Malaga city and Motril. Beyond there it can get a bit grim IMHO.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Stapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really niceStapelmaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
just one thought - how old is your daughter?
very few would recommend putting a child over the age of 11 into the spanish education system unless they could already speak spanish
My daughter is 10, she's in group 7 now. I don't know what grade that in England is. After this schoolyear she has to go one more year to primary school and then she's going to secondary school. I want to move to Spain this autumn but I don't know if that's possible. There are some things I have to arrange here before I can go. My daughter will be 11 by than.
International schools are very expansive. I've heard about special programs for foreign students who visit Spanish State Schools. (Like in Costa Brava somebody told me). And ofcourse we are trying to learn to speak Spanish. My daughter already speaks Dutch and English. (Not very well English but everyone understands her.)
But... if I can afford international school she'll be definitely visiting one. That's our big dream. She really wants to visit an English school. The school in Almunecar would be a great option than. Than we move to Britain in sunny Spain.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

We live in the Netherlands and my daughter is every winter very ill. We want to move to Spain. Because in summer she is never ever ill. We want to go to Grenada. The area above and around Motril seems to have the best weather in winter. We'd really like to move to an urbanication with lots and lots of british expats, a communal pool and ofcourse a secondary school very close in the neighborhood. We hope that a lot of British children will visit that school so my daughter will not have to much trouble with learning Spanish. I've read that there are special language programs on schools for foreign children if there are enough foreign children on that school. And I like British people mostly. The're very much like the Dutch. (If I may say so...)
Hi, welcome... don't think I can help but I'm constantly watching threads mentioning education since that's going to become my 'problem' in a year or two... I'll keep my own counsel re seeking out an urbanizacion with loads of British expats..... and given that until recently (....the outward flow of expats is not only British.....) Colmenar & area seemed to be the Dutch enclave in Andalucia, I'd say the Dutch & Brits do indeed share the same outlook & sense of humour & the only noticeable difference apart from height was the Dutch bluntness... oh we reserved, wimpish Brits....
Old Dec 30th 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fionamw
Hi, welcome... don't think I can help but I'm constantly watching threads mentioning education since that's going to become my 'problem' in a year or two... I'll keep my own counsel re seeking out an urbanizacion with loads of British expats..... and given that until recently (....the outward flow of expats is not only British.....) Colmenar & area seemed to be the Dutch enclave in Andalucia, I'd say the Dutch & Brits do indeed share the same outlook & sense of humour & the only noticeable difference apart from height was the Dutch bluntness... oh we reserved, wimpish Brits....
If you find that urbanizacion with loads of British expats let me know! How old is your child now? Probably very young.
I just looked Colmenar up on the Google map but it seems to me a very small village. We are dreaming of an urbanizacion with a communal pool. It doesn't have to be close at the sea.
And my height is absolutely not Dutch. Or even Spanish. I'm just under 5 feet... And my daughter and me are not blond... we're dutch colonial mixtures with darkbrown hair and green eyes! . Dutch people come in all various looks you can imagine.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

My daughter is 10, she's in group 7 now. I don't know what grade that in England is. After this schoolyear she has to go one more year to primary school and then she's going to secondary school. I want to move to Spain this autumn but I don't know if that's possible. There are some things I have to arrange here before I can go. My daughter will be 11 by than.
International schools are very expansive. I've heard about special programs for foreign students who visit Spanish State Schools. (Like in Costa Brava somebody told me). And ofcourse we are trying to learn to speak Spanish. My daughter already speaks Dutch and English. (Not very well English but everyone understands her.)
But... if I can afford international school she'll be definitely visiting one. That's our big dream. She really wants to visit an English school. The school in Almunecar would be a great option than. Than we move to Britain in sunny Spain.
she would be in year 7 in spanish school, too - also with one more year of primary left, and should be fine to go into the spanish system

my 2 girls went to an international/British school the first year we came here - & to be honest, in my opinion it was a total waste of money - but then they could already speak english.

if you can afford private education in spain, go for a truly bi-lingual english/spanish school - your daughter could very well not learn a lot of spanish in a british/international school
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

clareba is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in the Granada region - in a lovely cave home. The daytime temperatures in the winter can be fairly clement by the Netherlands standards.
We have been here for 4 years and the last 3 Christmases we have had lunch on the terrace - and we are 3,500m above sea level! However, the night times are very cold in the winter.
Summers are soooo hot. We have had several thermometers here that have blown up at 50C - although to be fair we have no shade where we live.
Although we hear from friends with children that the schools here are very good, they are definately not bi-lingual, although they do give additional Spanish language lessons to non Spanish speaking pupils. So much so that our UK friends children who have only ever attended schools here cannot read or write in English - only Spanish!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

A Cavehouse seems so great to me but the climate so far inland is not good for us. But very much thanks for the reaction! I still hope they're gonna dig out some caves more to the coast. Haha.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

clareba is an unknown quantity at this point

A Cavehouse seems so great to me but the climate so far inland is not good for us. But very much thanks for the reaction! I still hope they're gonna dig out some caves more to the coast. Haha.
Actually the reason we moved to this region is because my husband has arthritis in his lower spine. When in the UK he was having epidural pain relief every 3 months and was almost like a junkie with all of the medication he needed to take for pain control. He had to give away his 2 horses as he had been unable to ride for 2 years prior to our move here.
We now run horse riding holidays and at most he may need to take an Ibuprofen at times!