Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Water proofing floor tiles

Water proofing floor tiles

Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Flooziesoozie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water proofing floor tiles

The floor tiles in our villa are of the unglazed variety. I don't mind the matt look of the tiles but I seem to constantly be trying to remove stains caused by spilt liquids.
I have looked at loads of waxes, glosses etc but most seem quite laborious to apply and then need 48 hrs to dry (without walking on).
Can anyone recommend a good sealant.
In the UK we can get Thompsons water seal which just water proofs without giving a shine. Is there anything like this available in Spain.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sue
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water proofing floor tiles

would waxing them etc not make them slippery ?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 9:57 am
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flooziesoozie
Wall to wall carpet with that stain resistant stuff built into it Well you said any advice.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spain
would waxing them etc not make them slippery ?
Exactly, which is another reason I am not keen on this idea. The Thompsons water seal available in the UK does not change the outer appearance or texture of whatever you are coating but merely creates a barrier for moisture. I suppose a little like scotcproofing fabric.
Does anyone know if this (or something similar) is available?
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK
Wall to wall carpet with that stain resistant stuff built into it Well you said any advice.
The floors are so cold at the moment that I may even be able to talk OH into this. On second thoughts he would probably buy me fluffy slippers.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

The floors are so cold at the moment that I may even be able to talk OH into this. On second thoughts he would probably buy me fluffy slippers.
I bought a pair of said fluffy slippers yesterday - have to take them off every couple of hours as my feet are too HOT my son thinks they are hilarious, like eskimo boots
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The floor tiles in our villa are of the unglazed variety. I don't mind the matt look of the tiles but I seem to constantly be trying to remove stains caused by spilt liquids.
I have looked at loads of waxes, glosses etc but most seem quite laborious to apply and then need 48 hrs to dry (without walking on).
In the UK we can get Thompsons water seal which just water proofs without giving a shine. Is there anything like this available in Spain.

Sue
We used to seal red bricks and red porous floors with used engine oil, but not too much and let it soak in before you walk on it ;-)
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Sue
Yes there is a smilar product sold in most ferreteria's,sorry can't remember the name.If you do use it make sure your floor is wax and lime free.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:56 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Apply 2 or 3 coats of linseed oil (linaza), diluted slightly with water for stain resistance without the shine.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:59 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sue

We put unglazed teraccotta tiles in our last kitchen in the UK. You must apply about 5 coats of linseed oil, and thereafter a coat of beeswax. You have to top this up every six months or so. It doesn't make them slippery at all, and brings the colours out nicely.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 8:52 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
We put unglazed teraccotta tiles in our last kitchen in the UK. You must apply about 5 coats of linseed oil, and thereafter a coat of beeswax. You have to top this up every six months or so. It doesn't make them slippery at all, and brings the colours out nicely.
I was really interested in this,as I have the same problem here in my Portuguese house.
The only downer I have read is that Linseed oil can attract mildew,does anyone know if this is correct,I live right near the sea and get a lot of humidity ( we have dehumidifiers) but still get mould spots on leather shoes etc.So the thought of doing all the floors only to find they would go mildew scares me,but I have got to do something as the floor is driving me mad,it never looks clean.
Any thoughts?????
Thanks
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Watching this one, I have unglazed floor tiles too.

HO keeps complaining that I'm not cleaning them properly - I told him they are not meant to be shiny!

Thank goodness someone else has un-shiny floors.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
I was really interested in this,as I have the same problem here in my Portuguese house.
The only downer I have read is that Linseed oil can attract mildew,does anyone know if this is correct,I live right near the sea and get a lot of humidity ( we have dehumidifiers) but still get mould spots on leather shoes etc.So the thought of doing all the floors only to find they would go mildew scares me,but I have got to do something as the floor is driving me mad,it never looks clean.
Any thoughts?????
Thanks
My experience of doing this is limited to the UK I'm afraid, although I can't really see why it would attract mildew. The procedure will in effect seal the tiles. Not an expert though
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:56 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My experience of doing this is limited to the UK I'm afraid, although I can't really see why it would attract mildew. The procedure will in effect seal the tiles. Not an expert though
Thanks guys Im gunna try the kitchen and small bathroom first and see what happens