Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Water loss - pool covers to blame??

Water loss - pool covers to blame??

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Water loss - pool covers to blame??

Anyone any good at maths and science etc? (yet another) barney imminent chez moi, this time ref whether or not the water which slops onto a partly-replaced roller pool bubble solar type cover is lost to evaporation more or less quickly than the water normally in the pool when uncovered?
Explanation required? We normally have the pool cover on unless pool in use, then if most of family gets out but one remains we roll the pool cover out gradually, according to that one person's space requirements, until decision made to finally cover up.
I was doing this and OH suggested maybe more water was being lost by the water getting onto the pool cover partway across pool....I queried (fatal error involving use of the phrase 'always got an answer ).. hope that makes it a bit clearer.
Not exactly crucial to existence to know, but with water loss during the summer months averaging up to 1.5cm a day it did intrigue me to be able to calculate...
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water loss - pool covers to blame??

My cover is bubble wrap type floating not made to be tight fitting. When I do as you describe some water is displaced to top of it but 99% runs off back into pool.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

The only way is to experiment.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

This is not a scientific answer but here goes ...

I would think that there is a distinct possibility that you WILL lose more water due to evaporation from on top of the cover than without it in place.

My reasoning is that the (small) amount of water on the cover will, potentially, get a lot hotter and so evaporate more quickly - I know the surface areas are the same but that's how I imagine it works.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

I would think that there is a distinct possibility that you WILL lose more water due to evaporation from on top of the cover than without it in place.

My reasoning is that the (small) amount of water on the cover will, potentially, get a lot hotter and so evaporate more quickly - I know the surface areas are the same but that's how I imagine it works.
I'd kind of --reluctantly-- come to a similar conclusion, though sssh don't tell the OH!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a matter of interest why do you have a pool cover in the middle of summer? We don´t have one and the temperature in our pool is 30o which is very warm - why would you want it warmer than this? Plus all the bother of putting it on and taking it off. Our neighbour does this twice a day sometimes just cannot understand it.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:24 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Possibly, but if the cover is floating, the water beneath will wick away heat pdq.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just as a matter of interest why do you have a pool cover in the middle of summer? We don´t have one and the temperature in our pool is 30o which is very warm - why would you want it warmer than this? Plus all the bother of putting it on and taking it off. Our neighbour does this twice a day sometimes just cannot understand it.
Because of evaporation!
There's no real problem putting it on and off with a roller, and anyway I'm afraid ours is about 29 at the bottom, 32 at the top today and I had to come out cos I was a bit nippy! Wimp maybe but if I can get it to 36 at the top (such as a couple of days back) I'm far happier
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Because of evaporation!
There's no real problem putting it on and off with a roller, and anyway I'm afraid ours is about 29 at the bottom, 32 at the top today and I had to come out cos I was a bit nippy! Wimp maybe but if I can get it to 36 at the top (such as a couple of days back) I'm far happier
But surely this isn´t refreshing. More like getting in an hot bath.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
But surely this isn´t refreshing. More like getting in an hot bath.
Me, I don't want refreshing. I want a cold shower I'll have one. I want to feel comfortable in the pool and for me that's warm !!
Ref evaporation, without the cover we lose far more water and being campo, although we do have mains water, it's not always on during the summer and we're relying on depositos, sometimes for weeks at a time, so we prevent wastage wherever and whenever possible.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

My pool reaches similar temps, I too love it and contrary to belief it is very cooling. Last thing at night a half hour cool in the pool is very conducive of a good nights sleep. I don't find it anything like my hot bath in the winter :-)

My cover keeps a lot of dust and leaves out. The roller is easy, I can do it myself without any problem.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
My cover keeps a lot of dust and leaves out. The roller is easy, I can do it myself without any problem.
Agree!
(apart from those torrential rains a few weeks back, which put goodness knows how many kg of fine silt/mud at the bottom of the pool which I only discovered when I went to net it .....truth be told I put off the moment!.... over a week later)
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yip still got to get it all out ! either that or my pool IS leaking arghhh