British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Water Heater Cutting Out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/water-heater-cutting-out-891025/)

LOWRY Feb 2nd 2017 12:41 pm

Water Heater Cutting Out

Hi everyone

I have a problem with my water heater in Spain. It is a standard electric 100 litre unit and has been trouble free for the last 15years. The temperature is controlled by an adjustable thermostat, accessible by removing the bottom cover on the heater. The thermostat unit also contains an override cut-out, presumably for safety reasons, which should only operate if the water temperature gets excessively high. This needs to be manually re-set. Just recently, this override cut-out has been operating frequently. I have replaced the thermostat (twice actually) on the basis that this was the most likely problem, but unfortunately, the cut-out is still occurring. No idea what to try next. Any views/advice would be very gratefully appreciated.

Dxf Feb 2nd 2017 2:35 pm

Re: Water Heater Cutting Out

After 15 years, the boiler owes you nothing, you've had your money's worth. Go buy another

Davexf

Rosemary Feb 2nd 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by LOWRY (Post 12168884)
Hi everyone

I have a problem with my water heater in Spain. It is a standard electric 100 litre unit and has been trouble free for the last 15years. The temperature is controlled by an adjustable thermostat, accessible by removing the bottom cover on the heater. The thermostat unit also contains an override cut-out, presumably for safety reasons, which should only operate if the water temperature gets excessively high. This needs to be manually re-set. Just recently, this override cut-out has been operating frequently. I have replaced the thermostat (twice actually) on the basis that this was the most likely problem, but unfortunately, the cut-out is still occurring. No idea what to try next. Any views/advice would be very gratefully appreciated.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Pulaski Feb 2nd 2017 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12169029)
After 15 years, the boiler owes you nothing, you've had your money's worth. Go buy another. .....

:goodpost: I agree.

I suspect that either the safety override is cutting out for some other reason, such as a short circuit/ current leak, or sediment build up or corrosion in the tank is preventing it from operating properly.

spainrico Feb 2nd 2017 3:11 pm

15 years!!!!!!!!! Luckiest man in Spain. Time for a new one its sludged up with cal.

LOWRY Feb 2nd 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for the input. I was probably thinking myself the ultimate solution would be to replace the unit. I suppose I was trying to understand what the problem was. I take the point that after 15 years the boiler probably owes me nothing, although for the first few years the apartment was only occupied 3-4 months of the year. The thermostat itself is dry in its own tube. Quite possibly corrosion/calc within the boiler itself might be producing a hot spot which is causing the problem. Looks like a new boiler then.