Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Watching tv on a pc

Watching tv on a pc

Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

hrothgar is on a distinguished road
Default Watching tv on a pc

Has anyone living in Spain tried this as an option?
Previous enquiries by me about tv/satellite etc. have generated replies outlining various problems such as poor reception, sky subscriptions, lack of choice, rip-off installers etc., so I wondered if anyone had gone down this road. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: Watching tv on a pc

Originally Posted by hrothgar
Previous enquiries by me about tv/satellite etc. have generated replies outlining various problems such as poor reception, sky subscriptions, lack of choice, rip-off installers etc., so I wondered if anyone had gone down this road. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Do you mean via broadband, rather than satellite or terrestrial TV signals?

I happened to spot reference to something called, I think, a TV Brick yesterday, which said that the frame rate of 9 fps (rather than 24 or 25 fps on film/TV) meant that the picture was too choppy. I wasn't interested enough to read further, but it does look like TV can be obtained via broadband for the desperate (popular with Japanese Xpats, apparently).

Personally, we're happy with the odd DVD purchase via play.com, there's DVD rental potential if we ever feel like a film but don't want to keep it and find that we haven't got the time once we've done everything else, anyway.

Have you looked at downoading programmes/films via Bit Torrent: piracy and a lot of fiddling about, I'd say, but probably better quality than broadband streaming. (DVDs win out again, unless you're time rich, money poor)
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:17 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hrothgar
what about the free sat card that sky are doing now?? is it poss to bring one out and use it with a dish to receive itv etc
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
what about the free sat card that sky are doing now?? is it poss to bring one out and use it with a dish to receive itv etc
Yes. You'll need a skybox decoder too, as well as the card and you may need a very big dish (up to 2.4m) depending on where you are in Spain.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:43 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Yes. You'll need a skybox decoder too, as well as the card and you may need a very big dish (up to 2.4m) depending on where you are in Spain.
yep, that may be so but at least no dosh to pay
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
yep, that may be so but at least no dosh to pay
Wait until you see the prices of 2.4m dishes. Check further down this page :scared: http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/spain.htm

Not to mention the 1m3 concrete block you'll need to stop setting sail to moorish coasts
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

hrothgar is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Wait until you see the prices of 2.4m dishes. Check further down this page :scared: http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/spain.htm

Not to mention the 1m3 concrete block you'll need to stop setting sail to moorish coasts
Jesus Christ.