Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Watching Spanish films with Spanish subtitles

Watching Spanish films with Spanish subtitles

Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future
Default Watching Spanish films with Spanish subtitles

I'm going to try watching a few Spanish films with Spanish subtitles in an attempt to improve my ability to 'pick up' spoken Spanish. At the moment I'm hopeless. I can usually say what I want to say in Spanish but very rarely can I understand what is said back to me. It's getting to the point where I don't bother as we invariably end up speaking English. Has any one else used watching Spanish films as a method to improve their understanding of the language and if so did it work? Any films you can recommend? I am starting off with 'The Devil's Backbone' and 'The Orphanage'
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching Spanish films with Spanish subtitles

Originally Posted by raddickle
I'm going to try watching a few Spanish films with Spanish subtitles in an attempt to improve my ability to 'pick up' spoken Spanish. At the moment I'm hopeless. I can usually say what I want to say in Spanish but very rarely can I understand what is said back to me. It's getting to the point where I don't bother as we invariably end up speaking English. Has any one else used watching Spanish films as a method to improve their understanding of the language and if so did it work? Any films you can recommend? I am starting off with 'The Devil's Backbone' and 'The Orphanage'
Yes it helps enourmously. Plus the cinema is a perfect environment for listening as there is no background noise.

I used to go and watch the hollywood blockbusters in Spanish when my Spanish language skills were only at a basic level and I understood almost everything. It´s incredible how simple the language is in films like Men in Black

And yes Spanish subtitles on the DVDs is a big help too. I used to have big problems with the listening because I was living in the UK so didnt get the chance to hear Spanish. Since I´ve been living in Spain I watch Spanish TV so my listening now is at the same level as my speaking and reading.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 5:24 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re learning Spanish any exposure to the language is helpful, but at some stage I think it needs some teaching of grammar, even if it’s just at night school or organised classes.

I still leave the television or radio on, even if I’m not paying attention to either, and eventually it just falls into place. It took a while in my case..
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I've become a strong advocate of Spanish radio in the car - you can't escape and if it's commercial radio, the vocabulary in adverts is pretty similar in all languages so it helps you get the drift without too much effort!
ps I used to drink pints in East Finchley & pull'em in Friern Barnet!!!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

SOLGIRL is an unknown quantity at this point

Thoroughly agree with all posts above - you simply cannot have enough of the language

Small world - I also used to live in Friern Barnet many moons ago, near Holly Park School
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I made myself watch the news every morning. The repetition was what helped. You just know what politicians are going to say;-)
I'm fairly fluent now but my husband is now watching CNN+ for an hour every morning. We've been living here 3 months and I can tell the difference in his understanding already.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 4:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, having the TV or radio on in the background really helps - especially the adverts as they tend to be short phrases & oft repeated.

The advert songs are pretty good, if irritating.

Anyone remember ¡Ya lo sabía! from last year?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HBG
If you’re learning Spanish any exposure to the language is helpful, but at some stage I think it needs some teaching of grammar, even if it’s just at night school or organised classes.

I still leave the television or radio on, even if I’m not paying attention to either, and eventually it just falls into place. It took a while in my case..
Learning the grammar is no problem. I can get that from a book and I have had lessons. I just can't seem to 'tune in' to spoken Spanish. My wife picks up more than me and the limit to her Spanish is 'Dos cervezas, por favor'.
Probably doesn't help that I'm going a bit 'mutt'!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try getting a box set of Pedro Almodovar films. Always entertaining, if not a little wierd sometimes, and often feature Penelope Cruz & Javier Bardem
Old Mar 11th 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Try getting a box set of Pedro Almodovar films. Always entertaining, if not a little wierd sometimes, and often feature Penelope Cruz & Javier Bardem
I love his films. 'Volver' would have to be in a list of my all time favourites.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I love his films. 'Volver' would have to be in a list of my all time favourites.
Yep, have you seen the original "Rec"
(Not the american remake)

Spooky
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:37 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I watch quite a lot of Bollywood films... so far, not a word of Urdu.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I watch quite a lot of Bollywood films... so far, not a word of Urdu.
But I bet you do a great turn on the dance floor!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:28 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

But I bet you do a great turn on the dance floor!
In my wellies? Not a chance.