Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Warning, think b4 moving to BT Spain ADSL

Warning, think b4 moving to BT Spain ADSL

Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Warning, think b4 moving to BT Spain ADSL

Just posting this as a warning to others!

After just over 12 months of using Telphonica ADSL I was a bit annoyed that they kept charging me for "equipment" which I did not have. After several phone calls they stopped charging it, but a few months later they started charging it again.

Although in the campo, I was getting a regular 2.5Mbs download speeds night and day from Telephonica which I found just right for my purposes.

When I saw the ads for BT in Spain working out a fair bit less than telephonica and staffed by English spoken staff, I thought this might be a better option for me. I contacted them and they guaranteed that the download speed I would get from them would be as good if not better than Telephonica. I made a point of getting this verbal guarantee than agreed to change over.

One week on after the changeover and I wish I had never heard of them. I have lost count of the number of times I have phoned their engineers and sales staff to complain that I am only getting download speeds less than 20% of those I used to get from Telephonica - 300 - 500kbs on a good day.

I am fed up with being asked the same silly questions about my set up and fed up with being told somebody will phone me back and they dont, fed up with teling them that my setup has not changed since leaving Telphonica except for their router. I have even tried a spare router I had at their suggestion, no difference at all. They seem to be just dragging out my patience hoping I shall submit to a vastly inferior service, which I have no intention of doing.

Looks like I shall have to attempt to change back to Telephonica if the service hasnt improved by Easter, bet that will be fun as well!

If the service improves to the level I was promised, I shall be happy to report this here, but I am not holding my breath!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:33 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning, think b4 moving to BT Spain ADSL

How are you measuring your download speeds?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Peter Squires is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Warning, think b4 moving to BT Spain ADSL

Originally Posted by Fred James
How are you measuring your download speeds?
Historically I have used speedtest.net but the engineers like me to use http://www.adsl4ever.com/test/11 but they both provide very similar results as each other except the first reads Mbps the other Kbps.

Regards,

Peter