Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Warning - Mini market - Ronda

Warning - Mini market - Ronda

Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Warning - Mini market - Ronda

One of these days, this forum will stay on topic
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casita
One of these days, this forum will stay on topic
I don't know any forum that stays on topic for long - unless there are so few members that each question only gets one answer
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I don't know any forum that stays on topic for long - unless there are so few members that each question only gets one answer
Thats not a forum, thats a dictionary.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

expedidor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
My OH's family are from Asturian stock which means they are Celts. The Celtic tribes are known to have lots of people with blue eyes which is why lots of Spaniards from the North Coast of Spain have them. Nothing to do with the Vikings, they never came to Spain!

You also find blue eyes in other parts of Spain, a Catalan friend was telling me that women in Alicante are renowed for their blonde hair and blue eyes. A also noticed lots of red heads and pale freckily skinned Catalans when I lived there.

My OH's family members who are more "moreno" actually take after a distant relative who was native Mexican.

Sorry I have to go into this, but I have American relatives who are so ignorant and racist I have to constantly tell them that Spaniards and Mexicans are not the same thing!
Many of those red headed Catalans have surnames which reflect their Irish ancestry. Riley, Gostello and Sweeney are just some of the names I've encountered in the towns around Barcelona.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by expedidor
Many of those red headed Catalans have surnames which reflect their Irish ancestry. Riley, Gostello and Sweeney are just some of the names I've encountered in the towns around Barcelona.
told ya!!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaleen oge
told ya!!
Barcelona has been a port town throughout history and sailors and merchants have had their influence there, just think about their football team and most famous beer.

Re the genetics, there seems to be some evidence between a genetic link between Wales, Ireland and Spain. Some say the Basques or Spanish Celts migrated into Ireland and Wales and became the first settlers, maybe as little as 2-3,000 years ago.

http://killarney-ireland.info/geneal...genealogy.html

However, basically, the Spanish, Portuguese, French, British and Irish all have very similar genetics to each other, except for those who come from Nordic Viking stock.

Migrationary genetics is fascinating, but it has some way to go to come up with clear conclusions.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

All Europeans came out of India and before that Africa.

http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/...tory/aryan.htm

This is about the most basic text I could find and explains that Indo Europeans invaded India in 1500BC and not the other way around. AKA Aryans.

Jim
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Oh well, I am always willing to learn.

I see that the Vikings did visit some parts of Spain as part of their expeditions, but never settled (as far as we know). And anyway, the Celts were established in Spain way before the Vikings visited.

I also read that noone actually knows whether the Viking helmets had horns or not (although probably not).
The Vikings in Southern Europe

There was no apparent attempt to settle in Spain.

In 844 the Vikings attacked Spain and Portugal. (At that time the Iberian Peninsula was controlled by Muslims). They sacked Lisbon, Cadiz and Medina Sidonia then captured Seville. However the Muslims counterattacked and defeated them. The survivors fled.

The Vikings carried out further raids on Spain and Portugal but the Muslims fought back effectively.

Viking Helmets
The Myth

Viking warriors wore horned or winged helmets.

The Truth

There is no evidence, archaeological or otherwise, that Viking warriors wore any type of horns or wings on their helmets. What we do have is one single piece of evidence, the ninth century Oseberg tapestry, suggesting a rare ceremonial use (the relevant figure on the tapestry may even be that of a god, rather than representative of real Vikings) and plenty of evidence for plain conical/domed helmets made mainly of leather.

Jim
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim

There is no evidence, archaeological or otherwise, that Viking warriors wore any type of horns or .................... mainly of leather.

Jim
The forums wouldn't be the same without Google, would they?