British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Warning ! Burglary in the car. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/warning-burglary-car-845251/)

magnus44 Oct 16th 2014 5:45 pm

Warning ! Burglary in the car.

Last Sunday my wife and I went to La Antilla. We followed the road to the east and parked at the end of this, between the beach and the outer buildings.
When we returned to the car after a walk on the beach, we discovered that one of the side windows were shattered.
The thief made ​​off with two rainy weather jackets. Not much for all the problems this caused for us.
We have felt safe in this area and it was therefore disappointing experience.
Are there others who have experiences with crime in our area?
Excuse my English.

Magnus

olivia Oct 16th 2014 7:21 pm

Re: Warning ! Burglary in the car.

Originally Posted by magnus44 (Post 11440493)
Last Sunday my wife and I went to La Antilla. We followed the road to the east and parked at the end of this, between the beach and the outer buildings.
When we returned to the car after a walk on the beach, we discovered that one of the side windows were shattered.
The thief made ​​off with two rainy weather jackets. Not much for all the problems this caused for us.
We have felt safe in this area and it was therefore disappointing experience.
Are there others who have experiences with crime in our area?
Excuse my English.

Magnus

You must not leave jackets or bags visible. These people are desperate they will break in just to see if there is anything in the pockets. We had the very same done in Ayamonte 5 years ago its not a new problem. A couple of fleece jackets ready for our return to UK in November. Nothing in the pockets. Broken widow on hire car. Jackets not even taken!!

Jon-Bxl Oct 18th 2014 11:27 am

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 11440625)
You must not leave jackets or bags visible. These people are desperate they will break in just to see if there is anything in the pockets. We had the very same done in Ayamonte 5 years ago its not a new problem. A couple of fleece jackets ready for our return to UK in November. Nothing in the pockets. Broken widow on hire car. Jackets not even taken!!

In Portugal once we came back to the car and there was a neat little hole under the boot keyhole.

We found out later that this is a way to open the boot, push a screwdriver through and it pushes on the boot release cable (or something like that). Its different for every car so I dont mind mentioning it.

What we do now is take out the back shelf, and people can see that there is nothing of value 'hidden in the boot'.

Now if I do leave a jacket I will reverse the pockets... so the thief can see its empty. I can imagine all the paperwork etc that you had to do to solve this issue at the police station and with the rental co. A real drag!

Crisis - high employment - 'rich Brits' with hire cars. A target.

Jon

mikelincs Oct 18th 2014 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 11442280)
In Portugal once we came back to the car and there was a neat little hole under the boot keyhole.

We found out later that this is a way to open the boot, push a screwdriver through and it pushes on the boot release cable (or something like that). Its different for every car so I dont mind mentioning it.

What we do now is take out the back shelf, and people can see that there is nothing of value 'hidden in the boot'.

Now if I do leave a jacket I will reverse the pockets... so the thief can see its empty. I can imagine all the paperwork etc that you had to do to solve this issue at the police station and with the rental co. A real drag!

Crisis - high employment - 'rich Brits' with hire cars. A target.

Jon

Reminds me of the old story, person leaving their car and left a very visible not saying 'There is nothing in this car to steal' when they got back, the side window was smashed, and added to the note was 'just checking'..

Jon-Bxl Oct 18th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11442394)
Reminds me of the old story, person leaving their car and left a very visible not saying 'There is nothing in this car to steal' when they got back, the side window was smashed, and added to the note was 'just checking'..

:) My friend in London when we were students bought a chain and big padlock and padlocked his steering wheel to the pedals.

He came back a few hours later to find his car gone. Just as he was to call the police he spotted the car a few yards away the chain and opened lock neatly curled up on the seat.!

Like professional pride for the thief (the car was a real old student-banger, not worth nicking!)

JOn

big wheels Oct 18th 2014 10:47 pm

Years ago in a supermarket carpark in the UK we parked next to an old estate car which we noticed had a rather large doberman sleeping in the back.
There was a notice on the rear window which read.

"For the attention of anyone thinking of nicking this car, it is unlocked, keys are under dog"

:thumbsup:

mikelincs Oct 19th 2014 7:40 am

A friend of mine, many years ago, when it was very popular to have these little tiger tail hanging from the seat of your scooter (think Esso petrol), usually took the tail off and put it in his pocket when leaving the scooter. One evening he forgot, and was very worried the tail would have been nicked when he returned (apparently they were a very populat attraction to the local lads). when he got back he was relieved to see the tail still there.. no scooter, but the tail left on the ground.. :rofl:

Teed Up Oct 22nd 2014 10:16 am

Like the old one in Liverpool when going the match,needing to park the car up,when the local lads would run up,"Mind you car mister",one guy said its ok son,have left the dog in the back,quick as a flash the lad said,
Can it put out fires!!.

Ken.