At war again?

Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:05 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At war again?

Problem is they will still be doing the same when they get another leader
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:13 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Problem is they will still be doing the same when they get another leader
I suppose the hope is that the new leader will be elected and for a limited term. Ideally this movement would slide the whole arab world into a more secular, democratic world.

With dictators in place, the average citizen doesn't have access to a free press, and is kept repressed, which encourages a more fundamentalist attitude.

Secular people in a democracy tend to be more questioning of idiots who want to go out and kill people.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:21 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand they could get a state like Iran.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:33 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand they could get a state like Iran.
Do you really reckon that that is the way things could go? These people want democracy, and freedom from opression.

Back in the Russian revolution, they went from a feudal serf system under a czar, to a slave state under Stalin, without ever having approached democracy.

Nowadays everyone has a good chance of accessing the internet. For good reason it is something feared by dictators, cf the Chinese attempts to control it.

With the internet comes knowledge, data and freedom. Truly a heady mix.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:02 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

By all accounts, the Libyan tanks and armoured vehicles are being steadily wiped out. I'm sure that Dave n Sarkozky didn't factor this in when they pressed for military intervention, and that they're only attacking for humanitarian reasons, but when the dust settles there's going to be a lot of orders for fresh military equipment.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Do you really reckon that that is the way things could go? These people want democracy, and freedom from opression.

Back in the Russian revolution, they went from a feudal serf system under a czar, to a slave state under Stalin, without ever having approached democracy.

Nowadays everyone has a good chance of accessing the internet. For good reason it is something feared by dictators, cf the Chinese attempts to control it.

With the internet comes knowledge, data and freedom. Truly a heady mix.
What worries me I was told by a relative, who until recently lived in Libya, that two of the main places that have been rebelling(can't remember their names) have been heavily involved in travelling to Iraq to fight. I really hope it goes well, if only for our sake but I am pessimistic about all of the "revolutions". The ordinary people may just want democracy, jobs etc. but there are always leaders who have their own agenda.

Last edited by jackytoo; Mar 27th 2011 at 1:41 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope it goes well, if only for our sake but I am pessamistic about all of the "revolutions". The ordinary people may just want democracy, jobs etc. but there are always leaders who have their own agenda.
I do hope that you will be proved wrong but I am afraid that history seems to dictate that leaders will do what they want to and that even applies to our own, (UK), so called leaders. The only thing in our favour is that at least we can vote them out.

Graham
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I am afraid that history seems to dictate that leaders will do what they want to and that even applies to our own, (UK), so called leaders. The only thing in our favour is that at least we can vote them out.

Graham
If you live in Spain you cannot vote Spanish leaders out.
I dont British think expats should be able to vote in a UK general election.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:59 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
The "we" was a figure of speech, I was talking about UK parliament. Hence the "our own UK" etc.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Mar 27th 2011 at 1:50 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Suits me. They are all scum.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:44 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Suits me. They are all scum.
who the ex pats or the politcians
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:00 pm
Banned

The "rebels" are now lobbing missiles into towns held by Gaddafi...I presume there are civilians there too Very well organised these rebels....how long before they turn on the West...3 weeks, any guesses??
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:16 pm
bil
Banned

The "rebels" are now lobbing missiles into towns held by Gaddafi...I presume there are civilians there too Very well organised these rebels....how long before they turn on the West...3 weeks, any guesses??
Do you mean militarily or politically?

All things are possible, but I really think you have your negative hat on with this one.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 3:19 pm
Banned

yes I am very negative about it. Strange that all the media are supporting it
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:22 pm
bil
Banned

yes I am very negative about it. Strange that all the media are supporting it
Why so negative? Should Gadaffi be allowed to go on torturing, raping and murdering Libyans on an ad hoc basis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.