At war again?

Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default At war again?

I was watching Sky News earlier where an American with an impossible number of medals announced in a dead pan voice that their nuclear submarines in the Mediterranean had launched 110 Tomahawk missiles against Libya. I wasn’t surprised and don’t have much of an opinion on the rights or wrongs of the situation.

Spain are in there along with the UK, France and many other Christian nations. Arabs are there too, led by Lebanon of all places.

What did surprise me was the thought of whoever is next? Iran comes to mind, the next big one. I only have around 40 years left before the telegram arrives, and wonder if we’ll still be at war then. The odds aren’t good.

Last edited by HBG; Mar 19th 2011 at 9:46 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 9:54 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At war again?

Funniest thing is that the Saudis, who are busy surpressing unrest in Bahrain, are in support of giving Gaddafi a hammering.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that Putin's mob, having first abstained from the vote, have now already jumped into Gaddafis camp by criticising the action.
Must think there's something in it for him, if things don't work out.
Birds of a feather, methinks.

Seems to me that once Gadaffi is stopped in his tracks, there could be stalemate for a while, until either the rebels get their act together or gaddafis mercenary rats desert the sinking ship.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:46 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It reminds of a story, sorry. My wife and I were in a local bar during the Balkan bombings. A Serbian woman was sitting at the next table with her son, a body builder who looked dead nasty.

We were talking about the bombings and I tried to tell my wife to be careful, the Serbian body builder really looked a handful. I tried to be discreet and said to her, ‘Watch what you’re saying, SERB,’ discreetly pointing at the table next door.

She’s a good old Eastender and thought about what I had said for a nano second, before saying in a loud voice, ‘SERB, you mean Serbian.’

I live in such a multi-cultured society which is bound to have Libyans among them . I’m going to buy some sellotape on Monday.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 10:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

They haven't learnt from Iraq have they Wanna bet who will be the baddies next month. Libya will probably finish up with just another nutter in charge. Although Gaddafi is probably insane how do they know the rebels speak for the majority! They killed 31 in Yemen yesterday, will they be next Just when the UK scrapped the aircraft carrier!
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:07 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I for one hope that he doesn't get toppled, I am absolutely loving his mad ramblings....

Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
They haven't learnt from Iraq have they Wanna bet who will be the baddies next month. Libya will probably finish up with just another nutter in charge. Although Gaddafi is probably insane how do they know the rebels speak for the majority! They killed 31 in Yemen yesterday, will they be next Just when the UK scrapped the aircraft carrier!
Well, the early assessment seems to be that the French have bombed a few Libyan tanks and the Yanks are firing off missiles from out at sea. I was a bit worried when they announced that the French were leading the European response.

My history isn’t great, but I can’t remember the French ever winning a war. It doesn’t bode well.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be keeping his head down today, apart from some incomprehensible ramblings on a dodgy telephone line.

Now this guy could be next for the chop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12796020
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:18 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

The UK are bleating on about all the cuts in wages, jobs, public services. How tough these austerity measures are gonna hit everyone and yet they can scrape enough money together to fight a battle that they really dont know anything about and why? No doubt it will backfire on them, innocent people will be killed and maimed just as in Iraq and Afghanistan - Its like the UK is pretending to be a big powerful country and not the pathetic, failing country that it really is! I'm outraged! What the hell is Cameron thinking????

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Mar 19th 2011 at 11:39 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
the pathetic, failing country that it really is!
Jo xxx
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:22 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Much as Gadaffi is a nasty piece of work, I do wonder if Cameron and Sarkozy (the two big hawks on this issue) are doing this for purely humanitarian reasons. They won't be doing the same in Bahrein or Saudi, that's for sure. A cynic may feel that Sarkozy needs to regain votes prior to his election, and Dave too may need to build up electoral support as the economy tanks and the Lib Dems fall apart. If this goes well (ie Gadaffi is toppled soon and a decent democracy takes over) expect to see a UK general election by the Autumn.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:33 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jo, you’re probably talking for the majority of British people. Government policy is never to disclose the price of war, but common sense dictates it can’t be cheap.

But, what the f**k are we doing in Libya? I’ve just realised what the answer is - digging for oil.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:30 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

well i say godbless her magistys armed forces.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 8:55 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
well i say godbless her magistys armed forces.
So do I, but what is god and her majesty thinking of to allow this?

Jo xxx
Old Mar 20th 2011, 10:00 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
My history isn’t great, but I can’t remember the French ever winning a war. It doesn’t bode well.
I seem to remember that the French army has won more than it has lost, but I'm damned if I can remember where I read it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.