British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   War? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/war-655122/)

Madridboy Feb 16th 2010 2:49 pm

War?

You are an Expat, the country you are from has just gone to war with the country you now reside in.
How do you feel about it (not about war in general but this war)?

You are now told that you must fight for the country you are in or return to the country you are from.
What do you do?

cricketman Feb 16th 2010 3:04 pm

Re: War?

Originally Posted by Madridboy (Post 8347236)
You are an Expat, the country you are from has just gone to war with the country you now reside in.
How do you feel about it (not about war in general but this war)?

You are now told that you must fight for the country you are in or return to the country you are from.
What do you do?

For me it would depend on the reasons for the war. I would fight for the side who's reasons I believed in.

But first of all, I would do my best not to fight, wars are a fools game usually designed to make the rich richer :)

JLFS Feb 16th 2010 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8347293)
For me it would depend on the reasons for the war. I would fight for the side who's reasons I believed in.

But first of all, I would do my best not to fight, wars are a fools game usually designed to make the rich richer :)

I would second that, I would weigh up the reason for the war, and then make the choice, as to what steps í would take next.

icharus Feb 16th 2010 3:51 pm

I'd third it !

For example, I'm pretty loyal to the UK, however if a circumstance occured, such as a Hitler type figure coming to power,(in the UK), and the war was one of naked aggression, then clearly that type of thing has to be resisted.

However, if the war was one for resources, then I'd be more reticent.

If the war was one of naked aggression against the UK, then barring internment, I'm afraid were into 5th column territory !

The question is certainly an interesting one, probing as it does into immigrant loyalties. It takes the "which cricket team" question one step further.

What about divided family loyalties, with children born into the adopted country going one way, and the parents another.

Where do you stand, Madridboy ?

jdr Feb 16th 2010 4:25 pm

You would have no choice, you would be imprisoned for the duration of the war. ;)

Madridboy Feb 16th 2010 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by icharus (Post 8347471)
I'd third it !

For example, I'm pretty loyal to the UK, however if a circumstance occured, such as a Hitler type figure coming to power,(in the UK), and the war was one of naked aggression, then clearly that type of thing has to be resisted.

However, if the war was one for resources, then I'd be more reticent.

If the war was one of naked aggression against the UK, then barring internment, I'm afraid were into 5th column territory !

The question is certainly an interesting one, probing as it does into immigrant loyalties. It takes the "which cricket team" question one step further.

What about divided family loyalties, with children born into the adopted country going one way, and the parents another.

Where do you stand, Madridboy ?

lol, I already know my answer but I'll push it a bit further before I reply.

For whatever your reasons, you´ve decided to fight against your country of birth & upbringing, now against all odds you find yourself line of sight against a family member, friend, etc. You now have to make a decision to shoot or face the possibility of being shot. This could be in the country you are now in or in the country you were born and raised.
What do you do?

sparkplug Feb 16th 2010 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Madridboy (Post 8347647)
lol, I already know my answer but I'll push it a bit further before I reply.

For whatever your reasons, you´ve decided to fight against your country of birth & upbringing, now against all odds you find yourself line of sight against a family member, friend, etc. You now have to make a decision to shoot or face the possibility of being shot. This could be in the country you are now in or in the country you were born and raised.
What do you do?

Shoot first. And hopefully have the bigger gun and be the better aim.

bil Feb 16th 2010 8:20 pm

Who was it that said, 'If came to the choice of betraying my friend or betraying my country, I pray to god I might have the moral strength to betray my country.

You would need to differentiate between country and government, because your government will screw you over in an instant.

Ka Ora! Feb 16th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8347616)
You would have no choice, you would be imprisoned for the duration of the war. ;)

Only Politically Correct countries take prisoners and no one is politically correct at heart, The rest don't even wait for you to put your hands up. You would have to consider leaving the country of residence quite a while before war was declared. Anyone that thinks that the host nation would treat them fairly is taking too many pink fairy pills:blink:

Dick Dasterdly Feb 16th 2010 9:48 pm

Reckon I'd be on my bike PDQ.
B*gger that for a game of soldiers,..gettin too old for that lark....
....though wouldnt mind sitting a top of a hill and popping a few of the opposition off first, with my hi-velocity rifle and scope.....
Always like to keep my eye in...:sneaky:

bil Feb 17th 2010 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 8348607)
Reckon I'd be on my bike PDQ.
B*gger that for a game of soldiers,..gettin too old for that lark....
....though wouldnt mind sitting a top of a hill and popping a few of the opposition off first, with my hi-velocity rifle and scope.....
Always like to keep my eye in...:sneaky:

Remember to consider if there isn't someone up on the hill behind you......

Veleta Feb 17th 2010 11:20 am

Here is a watered down version of the same question:

Spain is playing against England (Scotland or wherever) in the World Cup final. Who do you support?

(When I was still living in England, but desiring to be in Spain I always supported Spain. Now I live in Spain I would support England. Not sure why really!).

cricketman Feb 17th 2010 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 8350397)

Spain is playing against England (Scotland or wherever) in the World Cup final. Who do you support?

The last couple of years I've watched just about every Spanish game. I support them becuase I enjoy how they play and have amazing players. They are playing some of the best football I've ever seen.

Whenever I watch England they are poor and play ugly football. And Rooney is their only good player.

So Spain for me! But I could change my allegance over time :)

Dick Dasterdly Feb 17th 2010 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta (Post 8350397)

Ah,..if you're talking football,now thats a much more serious affair altogether!

To be serious, although Englands my no.1...I wouldn't mind too much Spain winning,....but the Jocks thats something else altogether.
Lord forbid that they should win,..they'd declare a national holiday and still be celebrating in 200 years time,..they still harp on about that fluke win at Wembley over 40 years ago...:rofl:

bil Feb 17th 2010 6:20 pm

I certainly wouldn't support Scotland. Or Wales, or Ireland.

I have just heard one too many times 'Anyone but England!'

That's why with Andy Murray, for me everytime it's 'Anyone but the Scot.'