Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Spain from NZ too many earthquakes....

Want to move to Spain from NZ too many earthquakes....

Old Mar 26th 2011, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Want to move to Spain from NZ too many earthquakes....

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Did you feel it?
No but others did. It was very deep.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:25 am
Just Joined

lemon_drizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to move to Spain from NZ too many earthquakes....

It seems a little silly to suggest moving from the shaky isles of NZ to mainland Europe is out of the frying pan and into the fire!

We have had two earthquakes of 4.5 and 4.7 in the last month here (north island) and thats hardly considered to be worthy of mentioning, especially in light of the south island!. Earthquakes in NZ are a real concern. Although even then statistically not a massive thing to worry about.

They have recently painted lines on the road to denote tsunami safe zones and we were sent a leaflet about earthquake proofing the inside of our home. These things probably do more to freak people out than help them.

Last edited by lemon_drizzle; Mar 30th 2011 at 3:33 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Ellie60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am new to the forum world, so bear with me.
At the moment my family live in Christchurch, New Zealand and as another member has said, we are fed up with the 8200 shakes and tremors. We are originally from the UK and wonder if we can move straight to Spain, or do we need to return to UK to get the health certs etc.
Any advise greatly appreciated
Cheers
Anne
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Want to move to Spain from NZ too many earthquakes....

Originally Posted by Ellie60
At the moment my family live in Christchurch, New Zealand and as another member has said, we are fed up with the 8200 shakes and tremors. We are originally from the UK and wonder if we can move straight to Spain, or do we need to return to UK to get the health certs etc.
Cheers
Anne
Do you hold a British passport? If one of you does you have the right to reside anywhere in th EU. As to everything else it all depends on age and NI contribution record.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 5:20 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Anne
as John & Kath said, you can just come straight to Spain if you have British passports

what health certs do you mean - if it's the EHIC then you would need to have paid NI in the UK for the last 6 months -that only covers you for emergency healthcare though
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Ellie60 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you all. We both have UK passports. I think it is the ehic that I was thinking about. As we have been out of the country for 5 years we probably wont get that one, although we have both been fully employed in UK for 35 plus years! It looks more likely that we could be saying hola Spain!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you all. We both have UK passports. I think it is the ehic that I was thinking about. As we have been out of the country for 5 years we probably wont get that one, although we have both been fully employed in UK for 35 plus years! It looks more likely that we could be saying hola Spain!
you say you worked in the UK for 35 years? - So you might be of pensionable age?? if you get a UK pension you will be entitled to full Spanish healthcare
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Anne
You will still need to be able to support yourselves in Spain, all the usual advice applies on other threads. But I can understand the situation. My son-in-law is a Kiwi and they were married in Christchurch at Mona Vale two years ago which I understand is not now standing. He is desperate to go back to NZ but after the earthquakes in Christchurch my daughter would not be happy there. My sympathies go out to you all there.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

But : to make such a drastic move , to a totally foreign country ,
would you not need to know and like it a bit , first and foremost , ne'er mind the passports and the rest ?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:08 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

isn't Spain a country prone to earthquakes ?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...usc0003c5s.php
http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/spain-earthquake
http://www.ruralspain.info/earthquakesinspain.htm
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

I'm flabbergasted ;
whether you move to Poland , Chile , DownUnda , Kenya , California ...how could you predict or guarantee there won't be some kind of natural disaster , at any time/s , be it earthquakes , floods , draughts , fires , who knows ?
Plus some other , assorted man-inflicted disasters ;
all part of a rich fabric of life IMHO .
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
I'm flabbergasted ;
whether you move to Poland , Chile , DownUnda , Kenya , California ...how could you predict or guarantee there won't be some kind of natural disaster , at any time/s , be it earthquakes , floods , draughts , fires , who knows ?
Plus some other , assorted man-inflicted disasters ;
all part of a rich fabric of life IMHO .
plane landed on the roof of a house the other day

its not what is thrown at you its how you cope with it that matters
if you wish to be near to home for family support there is probably a house in the next street thats on the market

but spain does have some very impressive rocky bits just like NZ

Last edited by Domino; Aug 2nd 2011 at 12:29 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Read the start of the thread - it was well covered.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James
Read the start of the thread - it was well covered.
so you are telling me off ? ? ?

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 4:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
so you are telling me off ? ? ?

Moi? Heaven forbid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.