Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Walking, cycling, camping, .... what's aok off-road?

Walking, cycling, camping, .... what's aok off-road?

Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Walking, cycling, camping, .... what's aok off-road?

(Off the back of CragDog's thread) I've often wondered where it's permitted to walk, drive, etc., because it's certainly not easy to get detailed maps. We just spent a wonderful half day finding the most spectacular scenery whilst getting wildly lost off-road (on tracks, of course, but well off the beaten track!) & no-one ever gives you funny looks so I guess it's all permitted. Would you be allowed to camp or is that totally up to the landowner & how would you know who the landowner is anyway? (and when is Spain's mapping likely to catch up with OS?)
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walking, cycling, camping, .... what's aok off-road?

Originally Posted by fionamw
(Off the back of CragDog's thread) I've often wondered where it's permitted to walk, drive, etc., because it's certainly not easy to get detailed maps. We just spent a wonderful half day finding the most spectacular scenery whilst getting wildly lost off-road (on tracks, of course, but well off the beaten track!) & no-one ever gives you funny looks so I guess it's all permitted. Would you be allowed to camp or is that totally up to the landowner & how would you know who the landowner is anyway? (and when is Spain's mapping likely to catch up with OS?)
You can't camp anywhere in Spain except for in the permitted camping areas which you usually have to pay for. If you get caught you'll be fined. The official reason is because you are a fire risk.

As for walks, I think it's pretty much like in the UK. If there is a warn path over the land you have the right to follow it!

Excellent site here for walks around the Málaga area (and for lots of other local info too), although the maps aren't great:

http://www.malaga.es/turismo/
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Walking, cycling, camping, .... what's aok off-road?

Originally Posted by cricketman
You can't camp anywhere in Spain except for in the permitted camping areas which you usually have to pay for. If you get caught you'll be fined. The official reason is because you are a fire risk.
As for walks, I think it's pretty much like in the UK. If there is a warn path over the land you have the right to follow it!
Excellent site here for walks around the Málaga area (and for lots of other local info too), although the maps aren't great:
http://www.malaga.es/turismo/
Unless things have changed, I don't think that's accurate - Public Footpaths, which are all numbered, are for all (on foot) to use, are different from RUPPS, Green Lanes, Bridle Paths, and are marked on OS maps (can't remember which scale but it's not all of them) ... when I was involved in Parish Councils etc a warn path did not mean there was an implied right to use... anyway()...
Thanks for the link, am still intrigued by what's ok where for vehicles. The camping thing & fire risk makes sense.