Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

waiting list for surgery

waiting list for surgery

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all
Default waiting list for surgery

we have been told that because we only have ethic cards, if the waiting list for surgical procedure is more than3 months we are not eligible to go on the list. is this correct?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: waiting list for surgery

You should go on the EHIC Facebook site and ask them. They do not give an actual time limit re treatment. However I would think an illness or injury that did not require immediate essential treatment would be outside the EHIC guidlines. If you can wait 3 months surely you could go back to UK for the longer term treatment?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

there is no longer term treatment and surgery is the only option. we have been living in Spain for 7 years now and this is the 1st time we have encountered a problem like this
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 1:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you have been here 7 years, then you should not be using EHIC cards. You either need to be on the Spanish system or use private health cover or go back to the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunmovin
there is no longer term treatment and surgery is the only option. we have been living in Spain for 7 years now and this is the 1st time we have encountered a problem like this
Hi we had a similar problem with our EHIC card in 2013 -and I am presuming that is what you are referring to?

However our problem was for 'planned and continuing illness' in that my wife takes a drug every 14 days and it is somewhat expensive.

Spain refused and we went back to France where we have a house.

EHIC cards are we are informed only to cover you for when you are in say the EU on holidays? It is not for long term use!

I am struggling to identify why you are with respect using a EHIC card when you have been in Spain for some time. Do you have residencia and that good stuff such as NIE and if so why is it no possible for you to have a SIP card.

I may be totally misunderstanding this posting.

We are now in the system have a SIP card and they system is working well.

best of luck
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Fred got there before me. I see no logical reason to have a EHIC card you should be able to get into the system with a SIP card

What happens when you go to the Salut do you use the card then see a Doctor and then maybe a Consultant and still use the EHIC card.

Just trying to understand

best wishes
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here a dilemma and not intended to hijack your email. However in 2013 in the French health system but because we were both over 65 Newcastle gave us the EHIC card. As I understand it if we went back to the UK we could use it or indeed on holidays in europe?

Now that we are in the Spanish system Fred does Spain issue its equivalent of the EHIC or do we continue to use the Newcastle one and which is still valid?
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

UK pensioners who are on the Spanish system are issued with EHIC cards from the UK, which ARE valid in the UK (unlike the ones issued to UK residents) and are valid in the rest of Europe.

I don't know if they are valid in Spain, but if you had one, by definition, you would already be eligible for full state treatment in Spain.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Porth I seem to remember having this conversation some time back. I contacted EHIC via their FB page. Their reply was there is no specific time limit so if you were say touring Europe for 6 or 8 months visiting variety of countries regions you would be covered for "necessary "treatment, which can include certain existing conditions. Of course in Spain if one stays continuous over 90 days you should sign the foreigners register and part of that is proof that you have medical cover private or state but EHIC is not acceptable. So I presume that is where this 3 month rule comes from. As for 7 years then I agree confusing if permanent ?
Old Jul 24th 2015, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Demon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunmovin

As I understand the UK Health System, if you have been out of the UK for period of 3yrs or more and have not paid Tax to NI in the UK for that period, you are NOT automatically entitled to NHS Treatment...

You need not to check the EHIC website, but the NHS site first to ascertain what you may or may not be entitled to.

If you have been here 7yrs on an EHIC Card on the basis you told them you required it for travel to Spain, it may be deemed Fraudulent and withdrawn.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Demon
As I understand the UK Health System, if you have been out of the UK for period of 3yrs or more and have not paid Tax to NI in the UK for that period, you are NOT automatically entitled to NHS Treatment...
That is true, but there is a recent change to the rules which now say that if you are an expat pensioner who is covered under the Spanish system due to having submitted an S1 form, you now have full rights to NHS treatment if you go back to the UK, (not necessarily to return).

Unfortunately, this clearly does not apply to the OP.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
That is true, but there is a recent change to the rules which now say that if you are an expat pensioner who is covered under the Spanish system due to having submitted an S1 form, you now have full rights to NHS treatment if you go back to the UK, (not necessarily to return).

Unfortunately, this clearly does not apply to the OP.
We were resident in the French system for over fourteen years but with 44 years of contributions in the UK and of course retired. In 2013 we returned to the UK all but briefly and were able to slot in quickly. Our GP had known us for over 39 years etc etc. Whether that was what should have happened is another matter.

However I agree with Fred that there might be problems for the OP in respect of the EHIC card. Not sure I have seen a respond from the OP?
Old Jul 25th 2015, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, after being in Spain so long, I assume the OP is fully aware of income tax liability in Spain?
Old Jul 25th 2015, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Someone told me that Spain has a list of time you should have to wait for an operation. Asking for a friend who is on waiting list for heart by pass for nine months. Googled but can't find anything. Sorry to hijack.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Doing a quick search I found this link which may help re surgery waiting time in Spain ?

http://compasshealthcareguidance.com/2014/08/31/surgeries-do-have-a-maximun-wait-time/

Last edited by bobd22; Jul 25th 2015 at 12:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.