Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

VW Seat Scandal.

VW Seat Scandal.

Old Sep 26th 2015, 9:07 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VW Seat Scandal.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Did Angela Merkel cover up Volkswagen emissions scandal? | Daily Mail Online

Interesting and informative article.
Apparently the Labour govt were pushing the sale of diesels back in the 90s believing they were cleaner.

Who knows how much Merkel knew, but it was mentioned today that she'd been in touch with Cameron asking him not to put the block on VW sales.
No doubt one good turn deserves another, we shall see.
Doubtful Merkel would know anything about it. But I have little doubt that German / European regulators knew something was seriously amiss.

But in our social utopia, it's never wise to open a political Pandora's box implicating the ruling class (or their chums). You can be put out to pasture for that.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 9:42 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Your post no.6 quotes a figure of 180,000 unsold which I would believe to be quite credible.

However further down you quoted a figure of 1,800,000 which I couldn't quite get my head around at all.

With my failing eyesight I always find comas help me keep track of the zeros.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 9:48 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Doubtful Merkel would know anything about it. But I have little doubt that German / European regulators knew something was seriously amiss.

But in our social utopia, it's never wise to open a political Pandora's box implicating the ruling class (or their chums). You can be put out to pasture for that.
Maybe so, I doubt we will ever know for sure,
however is it inconceivable that she would have a quiet word in the ears of one or two EU leaders in the hope that they wouldn't follow the Swiss example and turn what is already a huge tragedy for VW into an absolute catastrophe, by applying the letter of the law ?
Old Sep 26th 2015, 9:57 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 600k employees paying tax rather than consuming it.

What do you think is an appropriate penalty? Call them naughty and send them to bed without sweets?

Tomorrow is another day.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:02 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by amideislas
Nearly 600k employees paying tax rather than consuming it.

What do you think is an appropriate penalty? Call them naughty and send them to bed without sweets?

Tomorrow is another day.
Well I suppose with all those extra mouths to feed, Angela needs all the help she can get.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Switzerland Bans VW Car Sales Over Emissions

Will other countries do likewise ?

Surely all cars known to be illegal should be taken off the road until they comply with the law.
There must be millions of legal cars new and secondhand in dealers throughout Europe which could be loaned out meanwhile.

"Meanwhile, it has emerged EU officials knew devices able to skew exhaust readings were being used five years ago and the European Commission was warned about their dangers two years ago.

The devices were banned by European legislation in 2007, making it a legal responsibility for the national testing authorities to enforce the ban - indicating Germany failed to uphold EU law."

So much for EU laws.
Happy to knowingly allow Germany to continue to flout the law for eight years and maybe more ?
Although I do not condone VW for lying or Germany for failing to uphold EU laws etc but People who live in glass houses should not throw stones

How many illegal cars are in Spain from expats which pose far more risk to other road users and clearly breaking Spanish laws and EU laws
These owners should also be forced to comply with the law with the same level of priority this VW scandal is receiving
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:50 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
Although I do not condone VW for lying or Germany for failing to uphold EU laws etc but People who live in glass houses should not throw stones

How many illegal cars are in Spain from expats which pose far more risk to other road users and clearly breaking Spanish laws and EU laws
These owners should also be forced to comply with the law with the same level of priority this VW scandal is receiving
Huge contrast there.
As I understand it those using UK cars in Spain are being targeted by the police whenever they catch up with them.
In any event just because you see UK registered cars on the road does not necessarily mean they are all illegal.

In total contrast VW cars apart from being illegal are now being associated with many premature deaths in people with heart and lung problems.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Sep 26th 2015 at 11:11 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
VW Golf Highline 2.0 tdi 150 bhp 6 speed DSG - 5 door

It was manufactured in the last week in August.
Nice car, particularly with the DSG box.

I'm pretty sure that will have the new EA288 engine. It has been around for a year or so and the Golf was the first car to get it. It's a superb engine, designed from scratch to meet the US emission regs. If any engine can do it without playing games it will be that one.

Volkswagen Unveils its New EA288 TDI Engine - Automobile Magazine
Old Sep 27th 2015, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred, I was fairly sure it will be OK but your comment about the 1st September threw me.
I was hoping for delivery a week ago as I am in the middle of a 1300km round trip to a PORTUGUESE LOW TAX area where I am informed CIGARETTES are available from €2.50 and it would have been nice for a first trip.
However I do have the pleasure of watching the PORTUGUESE NAVY patrol their TERRITORIAL WATERS.

Bold red for you know who
Old Sep 27th 2015, 2:19 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Thanks Fred, I was fairly sure it will be OK but your comment about the 1st September threw me.
I was hoping for delivery a week ago as I am in the middle of a 1300km round trip to a PORTUGUESE LOW TAX area where I am informed CIGARETTES are available from €2.50 and it would have been nice for a first trip.
However I do have the pleasure of watching the PORTUGUESE NAVY patrol their TERRITORIAL WATERS.

Bold red for you know who
Children, you have got to love them 😀😀😀😀
Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:14 am
Banned

I've read that dogs can instantly distinguish their own feces from others.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention the Portuguese Tuna Steak on a bed of onions €14 I had last night

Last edited by Fredbargate; Sep 27th 2015 at 4:28 am.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the thread has lost its way and nobody has anything sensible to add so I am closing it.

Rosemary