Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vodafone won't recognise spanish bank account number

Vodafone won't recognise spanish bank account number

Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

siteservices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vodafone won't recognise spanish bank account number

Hi all we have now been trying for over a week to make an appointment for Vodafone to come and install broadband in our apartment in spain when we visit at beginning of april.
We were at a point last Saturday where we had agreed it all on the phone with an english speaking agent who was going to email the details. the email arrived saying the contract had been cancelled. We emailed them to ask why and they re-instated it and said carry on with purchase and there was an attachment to purchase online. It would not recognise our spanish mobile and sim number (PAYG Movistar).
So today we tried to start from scratch on the website and clicked buy a phone to get rid of that problem. All went well until we entered our spanish bank account details (Caixa) which we know to be correct having used them extensively for all standing orders. It will now not recognise our bank account details.
We have clicked the "free call" number and tried to ask if there is anyone who can speak english (I know we should be speaking spanish but are unable to yet) or if there is a different number we can ring. We have tried the number given on several forums and the vodafone.es website for extranjeros to ring but it will not connect. Please can anyone help us at all. We're in england but want to try and arrange this to be done when we visit spain next week. By the way we already have a landline connection although no phone.
Would be most grateful for any help or advice. We want to do asap to be able to use our Samsung Smart TV for English TV channels as well as obviously having Wifi in the apartment
Old Mar 29th 2014, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future
Default Re: Vodafone won't recognise spanish bank account number

Did you enter just the bank account number or the IBAN?

Recently (Feb 1st, I think) all banks in Spain started to use IBANs for all bank transfers and direct debits. So it is possible that the website is expecting an IBAN instead of the shorter bank account number.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 11:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Why Vodaphone?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Why not go with Movistar, all other companies use there lines anyway, and Movistar have really upped their game in the last few months.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for replies vodafone wad cheaper i think. Got it sorted now thanks.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:39 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Cheap for a reason? LOL
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Cheap for a reason? LOL
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:50 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

As it's amongst the most expensive, lowest quality and least service-oriented, I don't have many kind words for Spanish telecommunicarions offerings, and I can't speak for other areas of Spain, but here, Vodafone has better coverage than Movistar, is a bit cheaper, and have lots of both name-brand shops and afiiliates for convenient customer service.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Here in my part of southern Spain it's the other was round!
I had a Vodafone mobile for over ten years, the coverage was abysmal and the outlets here none existent.

Recently Movistar called and informed me that I could get a better deal than I was on with them for my Internet access, so I called into their shop in town.
They have now upped my rural connection from 3mb up to 10mb and given me a free smart phone in the contract.
I find that to be a good deal, I no longer have to put money on my mobile and have more free minutes than I could possibly use, and all of this is for the very same price I paid before.

I am the first to criticize Movistar when it's needed, but praise where it's due they have done well for me with this contract.
Their Internet access is very stable and I'm getting the expected 8.55mb download....I have no complaints and can watch TV via my IPTV box without any problem.
Several of our friends here have now changed their suppliers after seeing what I can now get.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 3:02 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt it varies greatly by region. Telefonica neglected to install new infrastructure here, and so for fixed lines, it's all very old copper, extremely unreliable and very limited capacity. Movistar now only offers a minimum 6mb fixed line contract, but most people struggle to 1mb out of it. Fails miserably in the rain.

Same with mobile. Movistar offers this nice deal for fixed line and mobile, but the performance if either is pathetic. Vodafone offers 4g now and they also acquired Ono's fiber network, so their performance is quite a bit better for a slightly lower tariff.

Nonetheless, both are more than double the cost of what we paid in Germany for 10mb unlimited internet fixed & 3g mobile. I understand that 4g is the norm in Germany now. 10mb fixed internet unlimited is now €2.99 per month (plus €15 line rental) in Germany.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:37 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
No doubt it varies greatly by region. Telefonica neglected to install new infrastructure here, and so for fixed lines, it's all very old copper, extremely unreliable and very limited capacity. Movistar now only offers a minimum 6mb fixed line contract, but most people struggle to 1mb out of it. Fails miserably in the rain.

Same with mobile. Movistar offers this nice deal for fixed line and mobile, but the performance if either is pathetic. Vodafone offers 4g now and they also acquired Ono's fiber network, so their performance is quite a bit better for a slightly lower tariff.

Nonetheless, both are more than double the cost of what we paid in Germany for 10mb unlimited internet fixed & 3g mobile. I understand that 4g is the norm in Germany now. 10mb fixed internet unlimited is now €2.99 per month (plus €15 line rental) in Germany.
4g is still very rare in Spain unless you are in (or close to) one of the larger cities. I enquired with Orange recently and they stated that there was no 4g with any carrier unless you lived in Valencia city (my closest place).
Old Mar 31st 2014, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
4g is still very rare in Spain unless you are in (or close to) one of the larger cities. I enquired with Orange recently and they stated that there was no 4g with any carrier unless you lived in Valencia city (my closest place).
No 4G here either 35klm inland from Malaga, it's all 3G around here. But I can't grumble at that, I now get a 10mb Internet connection and some even down on the coast in Marbella can't manage to get that.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

it's (up to) 35 mg in Torremolinos apparently with Vodafone - we shall see!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:27 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

I recently switched over to Jazztel from Vodafone. It's amazing how many calls I received from Voda asking me to stay with them but they never once called to sort out incidents wereby they had charged me for services I hadn't used. When they asked me why I wanted to leave them I just said I was against them putting their name on Sol.