Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vodafone Sim - UK & Spain

Vodafone Sim - UK & Spain

Old May 30th 2010, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice
Default Re: Vodafone Sim - UK & Spain

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

I bought an unlocked phone in Canada last year; I have used it on both Vodafone & Movistar.

I believe there are phone that can have two sim cards simultaneously - they may be a better bet

Davexf
They tend to be quite expensive. But a friend bought a "cheap copy" one in spain for about €60. He had quite alot of problems with it though so beware!
known as "dual sim" phones
Old May 30th 2010, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

tawaghorne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I am with Vodafone Spain as I live here. I also have an English mobile and sim for when I go back. My question is if I buy a new phone from the UK and it is locked to Vodafone UK. Can I then swop my Vodafone Spanish sim and use it in the new Vodafone UK locked mobile. Phew.
I got my spare phone unlocked in Folkestone for £10 and now have one for the Spanish Sim card
Old May 30th 2010, 2:21 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Just google your phone model and ask for unlock codes. There are plenty free on the web.
Depending on how long you are in U.K., for it may be cheaper to just pay roaming charge rather than PAYG sim and top up.
Old May 30th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

It also means me having two buy two new phones one for UK and one for Spain as the Spanish one is now pretty old and rubbish.
Wait until you get to spain and buy a phone that's not locked to start with? It doesn't seem possible in the UK but it is here.
Old May 30th 2010, 4:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
Wait until you get to spain and buy a phone that's not locked to start with? It doesn't seem possible in the UK but it is here.
The one she wants is expensive unlocked, but free when it`s locked into an 18 month contract.
All you really need s a phone that rings and you can dial out from.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:21 pm
Banned

pchelpinenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I am with Vodafone Spain as I live here. I also have an English mobile and sim for when I go back. My question is if I buy a new phone from the UK and it is locked to Vodafone UK. Can I then swop my Vodafone Spanish sim and use it in the new Vodafone UK locked mobile. Phew.
you cannot, the reason for this is that each network has a network number and the phone is locked to the network number not the operator. many times in carrefour i heard arguments between british people who had bought vodafone or orange sim cards thinking that orange was orange or vodafone was vodafone, but its not. vodafone in spaoin is airtel who operate under the name vodafone under license and their network number is different. orange is the old amena which was never very successful and overnight one day they became orange. that night all their shops changed from green to orange. !!!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:23 pm
Banned

pchelpinenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lic
Just google your phone model and ask for unlock codes. There are plenty free on the web.
Depending on how long you are in U.K., for it may be cheaper to just pay roaming charge rather than PAYG sim and top up.
spanish / movistar roaming charges are not unreasonable. I had a spanish movistar phone that i carried around europe late last year and i found in many countries it was cheaper to use that to call spain and uk than using a phone of a national operator of the country i was in.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

I bought an unlocked phone in Canada last year; I have used it on both Vodafone & Movistar.

I believe there are phone that can have two sim cards simultaneously - they may be a better bet

Davexf
Hi, yes ive got a dual sim phone, had it 2 years now, its great, mines a Samsung one, and I got it off ebay... had a CECT one to begin with and that was rubbish.. so I would recomment buying a decent brand..

edit to add... mines a Samsung D880.. and ive dropped ot SO many times... but it still works...lol

Last edited by xxfrecklesxx; Jun 20th 2010 at 6:32 pm. Reason: to add make of phone