British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Visit arranged for end of month (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/visit-arranged-end-month-422117/)

SmartiesUK Jan 28th 2007 6:46 am

Visit arranged for end of month

Hello all

Ever heard of a company called euroland properties? We went to one of them road show type things in UK this weekend and we have booked to view some properties around the Costa Blanca South area.

We have a budget of around £140k to buy a place with. Can some of you please recommend a nice area to take in on my visit. Will be looking for some sort of Villa as well and would hope the budget will cover something along them lines.

I collect a pension of £850 per month (pickup) so suspect no real rush to find work when I get there though we would be selling up in the UK and not leaving a base to return. My thoughts are can anywhere be worse than this hell hole I live in now, its going to the dogs rapidly here.

Is £850 pounds assuming no mortgage a decent income in Spain please?

Thanks all in advance and its great to be here on the forum :D

Mitzyboy Jan 28th 2007 6:56 am

Re: Visit arranged for end of month

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK (Post 4335269)
Hello all

Ever heard of a company called euroland properties? We went to one of them road show type things in UK this weekend and we have booked to view some properties around the Costa Blanca South area.

Hello smarties

Another lamb to the slaughter (no .... only joking)

Firstly, when you do an accompanied trip with such a company they are usually only after one thing. They want you to put a deposit down before you leave on one of their properties.
Do not be pressurised.
Do not use their in house solicitor if you do decide to buy, get one bey recommendation.

As I recently mentioned on other threads, we live on 1000 euros a month so your 1200 a month without mortgage is completely do able although the really touristy areas do tend to be a bit more pricey
Here in the not so sunny at the moment Northern Costa Blanca the cost of living appears to be about 30% less than the UK.

Don't forget, if you don't see what you like then walk away .... most of us here spent a long long time researching before we jumped, and you will find people here that will advocate renting first to ensure you pick the right area.

Good luck!

Mitzyboy Jan 28th 2007 6:58 am

Oh .... dont forget that your pension, unless its a government pension, will eventually be taxable in Spain when you become a tax resident.

jdr Jan 28th 2007 7:02 am

I`m with mitzyboy on this , rent till you know the area, day, night, summer and winter.
Its a buyers market and there are loads to chose from.

SmartiesUK Jan 28th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4335288)
Oh .... dont forget that your pension, unless its a government pension, will eventually be taxable in Spain when you become a tax resident.

Government pension? My pension is a tax free in UK disablility war pension from the Royal Air Force is that a government pension then, tax free I mean in Spain?

Thanks

Steve

EsuriJohn Jan 28th 2007 8:03 am

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK (Post 4335476)
Government pension? My pension is a tax free in UK disablility war pension from the Royal Air Force is that a government pension then, tax free I mean in Spain?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve and welcome,

Government pensions are usually quoted as Civil Service, certain teachers pensions, local government pensions and military pensions. I am not 100% certain but I think you would be in the last group.

Regards,

John.

leighbloke Jan 28th 2007 8:18 am

Hi
I know your query was about the cost of living, and I can offer no advice on that.
However I have just come back from a break around the Mar Menor (Murcia), which I'm guessing is in the general area you're going looking? At the moment it is VERY quiet, (I'd guess around 30 - 50% of the tourist facilities are closed, and those open are empty) My point is anywhere you see now, will not seem the same for 6 months of the year - maybe a looksee now and another comparison trip in Aug would give a more balanced view?

Mitzyboy Jan 28th 2007 8:59 am

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK (Post 4335476)

Thanks

Steve

Johns probably right but its worth double checking with the dept of work and pensions in Newcastle. A Cash ISA in the UK for instance is tax free, but in spain you pay tax on the capital (wealth tax) and the interest (income tax) if you happen to remember to declare it.

poollounger Jan 29th 2007 3:57 am

Originally Posted by SmartiesUK (Post 4335269)
Hello all

We have a budget of around £140k to buy a place with. Can some of you please recommend a nice area to take in on my visit. Will be looking for some sort of Villa as well and would hope the budget will cover something along them lines.

I collect a pension of £850 per month (pickup) so suspect no real rush to find work when I get there though we would be selling up in the UK and not leaving a base to return. My thoughts are can anywhere be worse than this hell hole I live in now, its going to the dogs rapidly here.

The others are right... they aren't paying for your flights and accommodation without expecting anything in return, ie a fat commission, and they aren't paying for them in any case, you are in the inflated purchase price. Be American and discuss MONEY without being coy and British. Ask them up front how much commission they are making on the sale. Everyone needs to earn and eat and if they are working for you then fair enough, but if the commission is vastly inflated.......
Have a look on the net....try Kyero to give you some idea of prices.....and look and look and look. It took us a year to find the right place.

GEEGEEGIRL Jan 30th 2007 1:30 am

Rehearse these phrases;
Very nice but not my style, Out of my price range, no thank you, I need to go away and think about it and if all fails, sorry cant't get a mortgage or loan I'm declared bankrupt. That should get you out of a sticky situation. Whatever you do don't tell anyone you have cash waiting to be spent.
If there is somewhere you like ask the people already living in that area about the good /bad points. Good luck

jdr Jan 30th 2007 1:33 am

Originally Posted by GEEGEEGIRL (Post 4341652)
Rehearse these phrases;
Very nice but not my style, Out of my price range, no thank you, I need to go away and think about it and if all fails, sorry cant't get a mortgage or loan I'm declared bankrupt. That should get you out of a sticky situation. Whatever you do don't tell anyone you have cash waiting to be spent.
If there is somewhere you like ask the people already living in that area about the good /bad points. Good luck

Or when they ask what business you are in say I own a school of Karate. lol

gallerie9 Jan 30th 2007 2:24 am

We went on one of those, we were not left alone for 10 mins we couldnt ask any one any questions about anything, and well the houses all I can say is boxes...... and no matter how we asked to see other things we were shown the same thing over and over again.
To get out of being pushed we had to stage a row........ we had a difference of opinion ......... and the mark up is 25 %.......... You are better to come to Spain hire a car and have a good look around......... book into a cheap hotel or a BB there are lots of ppl who will help you for nothing.....ppl on here who dont want ppl to get riped off .....
Just use it as a experience we did ......... the row was a corker worked a treat .............
Take care , good luck

spain Jan 30th 2007 3:28 am

all good advice in my opinion

do lots of research before you come - so you know what similar properties are going for - remember the estate agents here charge various rates of commission (which is added onto the asking price from the seller) so you will probably see the exact same house for different prices

when/if you do buy find an independent solicitor as opposed to someone who is recommended by the estate agent ( or attached to the builders if buying new/off plan) ( they will also be getting a commission from the agent which in turn will be added onto the price of the property)

like someone has already said, these inspection trips are never "free" and with cheap flights from as little as 50€ return who needs them

jonsol Jan 30th 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4341660)
Or when they ask what business you are in say I own a school of Karate. lol

So you were just being honest then eh ? :p

jdr Jan 30th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jonsol (Post 4343740)
So you were just being honest then eh ? :p

Well one of my flat mates was in the England team, lets just say that was good enough, but I do know a little about it in case they asked more, but strangely enough he changed the subject. ;-)