Reload this Page >

Village in Andalusia

Village in Andalusia

Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:38 pm
Klu
Just Joined

Klu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Village in Andalusia

Can someone recommend an Andalusian village to settle down? :-)
I'm not moving for work. Since i'm 25 and retired because of a chronic disease.
I don't like humid weather. So i was thinking that a Village up in the mountains would fit me well. But relatively close to malaga or granada and with cheap prices. Fast internet connection is a must.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 9:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Village in Andalusia

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Simon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Klu
I don't like humid weather. So i was thinking that a Village up in the mountains would fit me well. But relatively close to malaga or granada and with cheap prices. Fast internet connection is a must.
If you have a problem with humid weather then you should avoid the region to the west of Ronda, which has just about the wettest climate in Spain.

But near Granada/Malaga take a look at Lanjarón, which is a lovely old 'spa' town with precisely a beneficial climate. It is also quite a cosmopolitan little place too - you should be wary of the 'rural idyl' - there can be too much solitude and if you're planning a hopefully long life here it's something to bear in mind!

Regs

Simon
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Klu
Old Mar 21st 2014, 7:04 pm
Klu
Just Joined

Klu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Hi, i can't see the video anymore. Can you try and post it again?
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

NicolayNeil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Klu

I would say Salobrena or Almunecar because it's a short drive away from the Sierra Nevada mountains and it has a microclimate. (Essentially East of Motril and a mile or two inland, not quite as far as Itrabo, and perhaps up to La Herradura there is a band of milder weather which makes it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. Granada itself has the extremes of very hot/humid in summer and cold in winter so I wouldn't like to live there - friends hate working there in the summer as it's heaving. As an example about the microclimate, you would have to wear a really nice warm coat in Granada during the winter, with snow/ice on the roads and only have to wear a light jumper and light jacket in Almunecar during the winter (or just a T shirt on a good day!)

If you want to be up high then there are places with gorgeous views but often the roads to get there can be a little scary for UK drivers not used to Spanish roads with no safety barriers.

If you're not keen on the coast then consider Itrabo or Izbor which are more off the beaten track - or Velez de Benadaulla which has wider streets and several more things to do. Izbor is more a traditional white village on a mountainside/hillside but parking can be problematic and walking if you do manage to find a space in the town square, is on a very very steep incline. I may know someone who can rent you a property in Izbor in the town square (but they may still have their tenants there I'll ask!!).

One of my favourite villages is close to Itrabo and Izbor is a few miles north called Pinos del Valle which overlooks Lake Beznar. Several british expats live there and rent out their properties but it is very Spanish. Not so keen on Guajar Faraguit on the old coast road - as the Spanish seem a bit more 'clicky' there.

Lanjarron is nice too. Lots of things to do there - and some may not know that there is one of the biggest grave sites where thousands perished during Franco's time. Collect your water for free (lovely water), many cafes/bars/shops.

If you drive through Lanjarron you get to Orgiva - Driving over Lemons fame (if you've read the book) and turn left to go to Canar (tilde over the n). I went there last year and the people were so friendly. Guy stopped while we were eating freshly baked rolls from the shop and gave us all an apple from his orchard. People chatted and said hello. They were very welcoming. It had a nice feel but it was a bit cold and I imagine it would be very cheap to live there. They had a fire last year which was a bit scary for them all as it came up the mountainside and very close to the village.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Village in Andalusia

Originally Posted by Klu
My advice would be to take a look yourself as there are so many variables. Spend a little time driving around and getting a feel of the areas. As far as fast internet is a must..forget it!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Cañar is a magic place and yes the people are very friendly. It does tend to be colder there in winter compared to the other places I have lived in Spain ( cerca Sevilla y Ayamonte) They do get snow up there but it seldom lies. they are about 1026 mts. There is only one bus a week to Órgiva on Thursdays market day there but you can use the school bus I believe.

The shop is well stocked, the 2 bars are friendly and serve local food, Café bar Piqi has some fantastic free tapas.

The fires last summer and the year before are a worry, one was deliberate and got very close to the village. The other fires were on the other side of the valley. To live there 365 would not be to everyone's liking. You need to be able to drive and the village is a mountain village so the streets are quite steep in many places. The surrounding mountain villages are beautiful too.

Last time I passed Lanjaron the free water seemed to be no more or changed from where I used to see people filling up there containers at the Órgiva side of the town. Orgiva s a very busy mutli cultural town and always seems to have something going on. Bus service goes through town to and from Granada Lanjaron and the mountain villages not Cañar though.

Last edited by bxpuser24710519; Mar 22nd 2014 at 7:29 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:26 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Klu
How would you fare for healthcare, would your chronic disease mean you would get free healthcare, also how good is your Spanish, the further you get from the major centres the less likely you are to find English speakers, and, I'm afraid, your major problem could well be 'fast internet service'. Away from major towns and cities, and major population ares internet connection could be very slow, and we are talking only 2 or 3 mb or less.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Village in Andalusia

Originally Posted by mikelincs
How would you fare for healthcare, would your chronic disease mean you would get free healthcare, also how good is your Spanish, the further you get from the major centres the less likely you are to find English speakers, and, I'm afraid, your major problem could well be 'fast internet service'. Away from major towns and cities, and major population ares internet connection could be very slow, and we are talking only 2 or 3 mb or less.
Or less and in isolated cases much less!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Or less and in isolated cases much less!
Not in the villages, I say villages they are more like small towns in many cases over 5000 residents, now the roads are good, all brand new rebuilt and widened in the last ten years. There are yfi hotspots and internet cafes with terminals to use. In fact the mobile phone reception has a stronger signal there than in the UK, because of the height of the aerials.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
My advice would be to take a look yourself as there are so many variables.
Agree, and so much we don't know about the OP. Do we assume he'll have transport, does he speak Spanish, how mobile is he etc? Some of the small villages are great to visit, or spend a few weeks holiday, but would probably be very boring for a twenty year old that didn't have a reasonable level of Spanish. Plus some of those mentioned can be mighty chilly come winter time. As with all personal recommendations, it's subjective, what suits a middle age/elderly couple might not tick the boxes for a youngster, as you say, get a few recommendations by all means, but then tour around and see what suits you. If they need to avoid hot, humid weather, maybe somewhere in Northern Spain might be more appropriate.