Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vans...as in the vehicle and not the foot wear :)

Vans...as in the vehicle and not the foot wear :)

Old Oct 1st 2014, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vans...as in the vehicle and not the foot wear :)

Hi all. In the UK I had a combi VW T5 as a throw it all in the back family mobile. It seems the prices over here mean I cant get anywhere near the vehicle I had in the UK for the same money.

Looking at the combi/removeable seated vans here. Some of them state they are registered for tourism. How does that effect me as buyer? Obviously I dont need it for tourism, i just want to know if its best skipping any that mention this? I could do without any extra forms in triplicate every 6 months, or any extra costs because of it.

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance?
Old Oct 1st 2014, 7:43 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vans...as in the vehicle and not the foot wear :)

Hola

Vehicles here are turismo, commercial, or combo. If not turismo then different ITV rules apply like they start at three years not four, and are 6 monthly at ten years old

Davexf
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Vehicles here are turismo, commercial, or combo. If not turismo then different ITV rules apply like they start at three years not four, and are 6 monthly at ten years old

Davexf
So to clarify, if a 10 yr old van 'isnt' turismo, Id have to ITV it every 6 months? And if it is turismo? Is it yearly?

Do they all tax the same?

If you know where there's a link with this info on Ill gladly read up myself.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, but the road tax is set by your own Ayuntamiento, it isnt national, can differ hugely between one town and the next. Our Discovery is 109 eurs this year, but in the next toWn it is much lower, so you need to ask in the town you live.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pwwm
Correct, but the road tax is set by your own Ayuntamiento, it isnt national, can differ hugely between one town and the next. Our Discovery is 109 eurs this year, but in the next toWn it is much lower, so you need to ask in the town you live.
Cheers for that info, much appreciated.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

When you say some of them are registered for tourism this is a common cause of confusion. It is nothing to do with modern day tourists at all.

What it means is they are registered as "tourismos" which is a term that harks back to the 50's when the first mass produced, cheap affordable car came to Spain in the form of the seat 600.
This quirky little car (made under licence from Fiat) was nick-named the "tourismo" by the general public as it enabled ordinary folk the means to get away and enjoy the countryside or the beach etc.

The name stuck and is still in general use as a generic name for any car no matter what make or model. ALL cars are still classed as "tourismos" Which does cause no end of confusion for us Brits.

So to sum up. If it's registered as a "tourismo" it's classed as a car. If it isn't, it's classed as a van and will need the 6 monthly test at 10yrs. Hope this helps.

Last edited by big wheels; Oct 1st 2014 at 10:59 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by big wheels
When you say some of them are registered for tourism this is a common cause of confusion. It is nothing to do with modern day tourists at all.

What it means is they are registered as "tourismos" which is a term that harks back to the 50's when the first mass produced, cheap affordable car came to Spain in the form of the seat 600.
This quirky little car (made under licence from Fiat) was nick-named the "tourismo" by the general public as it enabled ordinary folk the means to get away and enjoy the countryside or the beach etc.

The name stuck and is still in general use as a generic name for any car no matter what make or model. ALL cars are still classed as "tourismos" Which does cause no end of confusion for us Brits.

So to sum up. If it's registered as a "tourismo" it's classed as a car. If it isn't, it's classed as a van and will need the 6 monthly test at 10yrs. Hope this helps.
Yes it does help actually. Many thanks. I must admit a 6 month ITV sounds like a hassle Id rather avoid. And as I need combi seats in the back for the sprog. It sounds like Im better looking for one thats classed as a car already. But just to confuse things (for me) a post earlier said theres a third class of vans that are called a combi (which is what I had in the UK). How do these fit into the car/van equation? Just working out if Im better buying one fully seated and classed as a car, and just popping a row out. Or a proper combi.
Thanks again for the info. Moltes Gracias
Old Oct 2nd 2014, 9:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The correct term for these vehicles is "vehículos mixtos adaptables"

These are typically vehicles like small vans and cars such the Renault Kangoo and Citroen Berlingo and some 4x4s.

The definition is:-

Auto adaptable especially prepared for transport, simultaneous or not, goods and people up to 9 including the driver, and you can eventually replace the load, partly or wholly, by people by adding seats.

Apart from more frequent ITVs they also are limited to 100kph.

I think the reason that they are registered this way is that there are tax advantages by doing so. I believe the process can be reversed after 4 years, at a cost, and they can be reclassified as tourismos.