Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vanessa - moving to Spain in August

Vanessa - moving to Spain in August

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Nessynoo2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vanessa - moving to Spain in August

Hi everyone my husband and I are moving to la Linea ,southern Spain by August this year.
my mum and daughter and son in law and baby grandson are also coming.
the main issue we have is medication and wether to buy or rent.
we have family out there so we are not total virgins to the lifestyle and costs and are very excited.
Any advice gravely received. Thanku

Last edited by Nessynoo2015; Jan 23rd 2019 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Add more words
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 7:08 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vanessa - moving to Spain in August

Hola
Welcome to the forum; wise money says rent for the first year so you haven't burnt your bridges if it doesn't work out

Davexf
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Nessynoo2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
Welcome to the forum; wise money says rent for the first year so you haven't burnt your bridges if it doesn't work out

Davexf
thank you wise words
Old Jan 24th 2019, 6:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

What is your issue with medication?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Rent and check out schools and the result of Brexit on the Gibraltar crossing.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Always rent first I would say. Living is often different to visiting and you may want to move further away from La linea once you get under it's skin...
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nessy. You're asking the six million dollar question i.e. how can you say if Spain is for you? The answer is easier than you think. I would recommend you rent a place wherever you want to move for no less than five weeks in the off season. Fortunately, rentals in the off season are fairly low (€650 per 4 weeks + €75 for electricity).

You're heading into a minefield, but you have to start somewhere. I don't know if you are retiring or want work. If the latter things are more difficult, but the former will cause you little or no difficulty.

Whether or which I recommend you start learning Spanish otherwise you will be enduring half your future friends base.

There is no secret to living in Spain. If in doubt, do what the Spaniards do. Have a daily siesta, get used to not eating expensive UK brands of food etc. Participate in whatever area. Don't wait for people to come to you, inflict yourself on the people.

Leave room for a dignified retreat. Don't sell up in the UK until you are certain that Spain is for you (take some years to come to the decision). Don't let Brexit get in your way. You're not the first English speaking person to move to Spain and you won't be the last. If you have to return to the UK, ensure you can do so on your terms.
Old Feb 5th 2020, 3:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you take all of the empty boxes to the farmacia, they will tell you how much each one costs.
Register with a doctor and he will advise you.
I found private health care to be prohibitively expensive for me.
What age are you and OH, you might qualify for Spanish NHS?