British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Van to camper (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/van-camper-868594/)

VEDShappy Nov 29th 2015 11:42 am

Van to camper

Any help, thoughts, advice on the following please.

I plan to buy a van and convert it into a camper. This would involve a side window each side, seating that can fold to form a bed, some storage and a simall sink. Cooking would either be a small gas cooker installed or a portable gas cooker used outside. Practically, I am capable of doing the conversion work myself.

Two initial questions,
1) Would I need installation or test certificates if the cooker was fitted inside?
2) Would I need a different ITV or classification of the vehicle and if so, how difficult (procedurally) is it?

Any contributions appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dxf Nov 29th 2015 1:51 pm

Re: Van to camper

Hola Yes if you have a gas installation, then you have to have it homologated by a certified engineer. Depending on how much you modify the van, you could have to have it type tested at a cost around 2,000€. Please ask your ITV station about modifications before doing them. In general Spain disapproves of modifications Davexf

VEDShappy Nov 29th 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks.
Not quite so straightforward then. Perhaps no gas - portable type for outdoor use only and no alterations visible from the outside might be the way to go

Dxf Nov 29th 2015 4:45 pm

Hola part of the ITV test is to open all doors from the outside - including back doors on vans - but yes you can fill the van with "a load" but not for the ITV - if it's permanent then they may decide that the van wasn´t built for it - I'd advise caution
Davexf

VEDShappy Nov 30th 2015 11:10 am

In summary then, not very practical.

A van could have racking or shelving, but not a lot else in the way of fixed "furniture".

To allow for a reasonable conversion, it would have to change class and for this to happen it would have to undergo an inspection. Because it was a one-off there would be no previous reference for it, so it would have to undergo type-approval. Once this was done of course, no further mods could be done to it.

Does this sound about right? Have I missed any loopholes or anything? Doesn't sound as if my plan will be viable then

Dxf Nov 30th 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by VEDShappy (Post 11805092)
In summary then, not very practical. A van could have racking or shelving, but not a lot else in the way of fixed "furniture". To allow for a reasonable conversion, it would have to change class and for this to happen it would have to undergo an inspection. Because it was a one-off there would be no previous reference for it, so it would have to undergo type-approval. Once this was done of course, no further mods could be done to it. Does this sound about right? Have I missed any loopholes or anything? Doesn't sound as if my plan will be viable then

Hola
It can be done but can be a minefield so you would need to go into the project with your eyes open as to the restraints etc. Not for the faint hearted or those on a tight budget as there could be big bills to get round a particular unforeseen problem
Davexf

missile Nov 30th 2015 2:14 pm

Do you need a conversion? Your van could be multi use. Simply load it up with camping gear as and when you need it e.g. sleeping bags and a portable camping stove.

VEDShappy Nov 30th 2015 6:39 pm

It's just that a conversion would be easier for me.
I don't need a van and would prefer the extra comfort and convenience that built in seating/bed, storage would provide.

Casa Santo Estevo Nov 30th 2015 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 11805097)
Hola
It can be done but can be a minefield so you would need to go into the project with your eyes open as to the restraints etc. Not for the faint hearted or those on a tight budget as there could be big bills to get round a particular unforeseen problem
Davexf

listen to this very sound advice. Your vehicle has a ficha tecnica. If it is changed then you will have a lot of paperwork to do. It can be done, but everything has to be undertaken by garages (they are licenced). So if you do it yourself or you have a garage who has no licence to operate you will fail.

Details in this link, naturally in Spanish.
I will sign off by quoting one responder to the article

"En este país estamos atrasados años luz en temas automovilísticos con respecto a otros, uk, usa…"
Something like "in this country we are light years behind in car issues others like the UK, USA ..."

VEDShappy Dec 5th 2015 10:20 am

Thanks !
Looks like it's a non starter then unless I can devise some sort of basic, stable furnishing that can be easily removed for the ITV - not likely I feel.

Your help has been appreciated, if only for saving me money and a lot of aggravation.

tommy.irene Dec 5th 2015 4:14 pm

Just buy a caravan..

VEDShappy Dec 5th 2015 5:58 pm

Had one once and don't want another!

Dxf Dec 5th 2015 6:53 pm

Hola

Thank God for that - they're even more trouble as they are not mass produced !!!

Davexf

Casa Santo Estevo Dec 10th 2015 2:32 pm

I know this thread, as far as the OP is concerned, is dead , but just in case anyone else is searching for this information.

This file is in Spanish (all 511 pages)
Manual de Reformas de vehículos - Vehicle Modification Manual.