Reload this Page >

Valencia - newbie saying hello & sports questions

Valencia - newbie saying hello & sports questions

Old Sep 29th 2014, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

ElliotR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia - newbie saying hello & sports questions

Hello!

My girlfriend got a job here so we've just moved from Liverpool with our 2 cats and dog. Renting a lovely house in Betera and thoroughly enjoying it so far. We have lots of exploring still to do so feel free to recommend any places we should go to.

It's not all rosey though. I'm struggling with learning the language - it just isn't sinking in yet, and finding work for me is going to be more difficult than I expected. Hopefully with a bit of time I'll get there.

I'm a bit gutted that sports clubs here seem so expensive to join. In the UK I was a member of a golf club and 2 tennis clubs. Admittedly I've only just started looking but the golf club literally up the road is serious money and I've been told the tennis club in Rocafort is similar €! Can anybody here help or offer any info? Anybody members of any sports clubs? Does anyone know of any local golf societies?

Many thanks,

Elliot.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 3:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia - newbie saying hello & sports questions

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 29th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the municipal facilities?

Actividades e Instalaciones
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElliotR
Hello!

My girlfriend got a job here so we've just moved from Liverpool with our 2 cats and dog. Renting a lovely house in Betera and thoroughly enjoying it so far. We have lots of exploring still to do so feel free to recommend any places we should go to.

It's not all rosey though. I'm struggling with learning the language - it just isn't sinking in yet, and finding work for me is going to be more difficult than I expected. Hopefully with a bit of time I'll get there.

I'm a bit gutted that sports clubs here seem so expensive to join. In the UK I was a member of a golf club and 2 tennis clubs. Admittedly I've only just started looking but the golf club literally up the road is serious money and I've been told the tennis club in Rocafort is similar €! Can anybody here help or offer any info? Anybody members of any sports clubs? Does anyone know of any local golf societies?

Many thanks,

Elliot.
With language, you need to go and actively learn it. It won't just sink in!

For tennis and golf, in Spain just like in the UK, there are clubs that are more expensive and exclusive than others. I don't know about Valencia, but in both Malaga and Asturias I have played in (almost) free tennis leagues that cost just 20 euros per year and half of the court costs each match (usually around 3 euros for 2 hours). They are/were both exceptional

Just do some Google searches for Valencia (in Spanish). The problem in Spain is that a lot of clubs are word of mouth so you need to get to know people. And you need to be fluent in Spanish for that. The clubs and leagues are usually very welcoming though
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I cycle round Valencia/Albufera/Alboraya a fair bit. If you pm me I'll email some fab eating places, well worth searching out.

Good luck with the language just go to school & persevere.