Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia?

Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia?

Old Apr 11th 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia?

Originally Posted by KieronF
I have never had Gandia or Olivia - not sure if that helps much
Hi Kieron, would you care to expand a little on that?
Old Jun 11th 2018, 2:04 am
Just Joined

gg1a is an unknown quantity at this point

never been to piles but some folks say its a pain in the ass !!
Old Jul 9th 2018, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Trasnadonnta is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia?

Although I don't know it well, I've been to Gandia a few times. It seemed a lovely, vibrant town, with a lovely pedestrian, tree lined main street (I think it's called ...Germanias?) where you can sip your drink and people watch. It has a great shopping area, numerous restaurants and big supermarkets, excellent train & bus links. The train station is near the main street. It takes 1 hour to go to Valencia. There are few hotels. The port is nice, the beach is beautiful and very well kept, with easy access by bus (15 mins from centre). The locals were very pleasant, and the only language I heard spoken there was Spanish, so it had an authentic feel. I've never been there in winter so I can't say if there is a rich cultural life there or not. That's something I'd like to hear about. My perspective is only that of someone on holiday. When I enquired about renting, I was advised to choose carefully, and to avoid certain areas, though I can't remember which ones as I didn't pursue it.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

"Rich cultural life" Well I am not the best person to expound on that facet of life but have a look here, you may need Google translate if like me you struggle with foreign.

https://issuu.com/culturagandia/docs/full_juny_2018
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Trasnadonnta is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll be in Alicante soon with a Swiss person who is a fluent Spanish speaker, so you're timing is perfect. Thanks so much!
Old Jul 10th 2018, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Trasnadonnta
Although I don't know it well, I've been to Gandia a few times. It seemed a lovely, vibrant town, with a lovely pedestrian, tree lined main street (I think it's called ...Germanias?) where you can sip your drink and people watch. It has a great shopping area, numerous restaurants and big supermarkets, excellent train & bus links. The train station is near the main street. It takes 1 hour to go to Valencia. There are few hotels. The port is nice, the beach is beautiful and very well kept, with easy access by bus (15 mins from centre). The locals were very pleasant, and the only language I heard spoken there was Spanish, so it had an authentic feel. I've never been there in winter so I can't say if there is a rich cultural life there or not. That's something I'd like to hear about. My perspective is only that of someone on holiday. When I enquired about renting, I was advised to choose carefully, and to avoid certain areas, though I can't remember which ones as I didn't pursue it.
Had several apartments in different areas of Gandia over the last 20 years never come across an area to avoid.Just some where properties were cheaper than others.