British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/valencia-more-precisely-gandia-piles-olivia-911380/)

Dave n Ann Apr 6th 2018 10:15 pm

Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia?

Hi Y'all,
It's time to stop this lurking and finally come out and say Hi, so here we are....Hi;)

We're leaving Denia tomorrow morning and expect the coach to arrive in Gandia in the afternoon on Saturday.
We're in town for only 6 nights (Grau and later downtown in "Avinguda de Valencia", for the rest) and would love to meet any of you and hopefully ask a few questions about setting up home in Gandia. Someone casually mentioned there are no so pleasant areas, it's this kind of stuff that I'd like to learn about the easy way, preferably over a nice cup of tea, in good company.

We previously visited Gandia last year and were very impressed, so much so that we had to visit again with the view to retiring in about 8 years time, possibly sooner (given the chance).

We will also try to visit Piles and Olivia, after reading so many positive threads on here.

If there are any social events happening this weekend or early next week, or if any of you are available to meet us and share some of your experiences and advice, that would be fantastic.

Regards,
Dave

jonboy Apr 7th 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Valencia or more precisely Gandia, Piles and Olivia?

I have come across a "not so pleasant area". Perhaps some areas are more geared to new immigrants to the town from other less well off areas of the world, mixed in with the less well off locals. Generally, Gandia is great but that is just my own view.

You need to visit a few times and stay for an extended period to form a viable opinion of the area. Gandia has great transport connections, it has its own train station and local bus services so if you fly in to Valencia there is no need to hire a car to get to the town, as the metro from the airport will connect you to the train to Gandia. There are some super restaurants to explore and it is a classy city.

The more time you spend there the more you will see its value as a year round place to live. There is a strong sense of community and yet being a city of 80,000+ people it is cosmopolitan also. Rent and observe there are really nice flats in lovely area for good prices. Just enjoy the trip!

jonboy Apr 7th 2018 8:04 pm

I NOT have come across a "not so pleasant area".

jonboy Apr 7th 2018 8:15 pm

Some links for you.

https://www.facebook.com/Gandia-Area...172385/?ref=hl

https://foodandgardenrestaurant.com/

Restaurante Cinco Sentidos

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...n_Country.html

Dave n Ann Apr 7th 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for your reply, 120 views and one reply,..........I guess everyone must be over visiting the UK to enjoy the bank holiday weather.� ����

Your right about the transport options, first visit I drove from Madrid via Valencia, second visit flew too and took a train from Valencia. Today it was a coach from Denia, I see the Boris bikes are 5 euro per day...I wonder if I could....

We've previously used a mix of hotels and Airb&b, this time Airb&b all the way, found the two nearest supermarkets to Grau and self catering.....living the life and forming our own opinions as you've suggested regarding Gandia.

We have visited many European countries and have visited Spain many times, Gandia and it's inhabitants have made a good impression on me hence the multiple visits and the possible retirement considerations.

Thanks for the advice.
Regards,
Dave

VEDShappy Apr 8th 2018 6:37 am

One of the views was mine!

Interested to see what others might have to say regarding these areas as they are some of the towns that we have ruled out. Obviously everyone has different priorities and what suits me might not suit you.
We are currently just outside Valencia and looking to move South, somewhere between Gandia and Denia.

The Guy Apr 8th 2018 7:14 am

And if you are looking at Piles, then there are the other villages along that areas...miramar, bellreguard, diamus, guardamar, or those to the nroth of gandia, xeresa, xeraco, tavernes...

All nice towns / villages, but can be a bit quiet "out of season" (Oct to easter)...although most of them have one supermarket.
Not heard of any "not so pleasant areas" in gandia. maybe you could class, for example, parts of the old town of oliva (so called gypsy areas) as "not so pleasant areas"

Bad Leg Apr 8th 2018 8:11 am

The Grau de Gandia on the south side of the port is cheaper than the north Grau and Beach area and with older properties. A working area where you won't be meeting any Brits. But you won't meet many Brits in any part of Gandia which is fine with me. Some friendly locals around and a couple of half-decent bars but the restaurant scene is lacking. A good place for retirement generally but overrun with holidaymakers from Madrid in July and August, and the youths have no shame. Beach area is a wasteland out of season and the Grau is very quiet. I live in the Grau but would prefer to be in the city centre. Nice place.

Dave n Ann Apr 9th 2018 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Bad Leg (Post 12477766)
The Grau de Gandia on the south side of the port is cheaper than the north Grau and Beach area and with older properties. A working area where you won't be meeting any Brits. But you won't meet many Brits in any part of Gandia and the youths have no shame. I live in the Grau but would prefer to be in the city centre. Nice place.

Thanks for the Grain input it's totally what I was hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience.
I'm writing to you from Carrer Ermita, not sure if that's south or not south enough, very busy little cafe here this morning, not less than 5 in the queue during the 40 minutes we were there, great atmosphere, staff were really friendly and considerate especially as I didn't know the name of any of the items were were ordering.
Surprisingly the beach front was 10 times more busy Sunday evening than Saturday, we couldn't find more than one restaurant open on a Saturday night, wow!
Found lots of closed resturants around the port area, placa de orient.

Its interesting to hear your talking so positively about city center, I'm torn and can't decide, hence the decision to divide our stay by 2 and 4 nights.
Looks like there's been some zoning and decisions made about the land just north of camping area, any idea where we'd find out more info on that area and whats probably going up?

Area west of Av. d'Europa also looks like it's up and coming, must say I'd like a property south facing if possible and not a million miles from the central commercial.

Were moving over to the center today (read battery died, took all night before recharged).
It would be great to hear where in the center you would like to swap too if you could. We could meet there for a coffee if you have the time and your leg allows?

Regards,
Dave

Dave n Ann Apr 9th 2018 7:23 am

Not heard of any "not so pleasant areas" in gandia. maybe you could class, for example, parts of the old town of oliva (so called gypsy areas) as "not so pleasant areas"
When we saw nice looking houses for sale there in Olivia we did a huge Street view session one Sunday trying to find them and got to know the place as it was last time Google's car drove that area. As I recall some of the higher up streets had a scruffy look about them, and I think some of the front doors were left open (?). I didn't know if the whole street were related or just that no-one walks around up there looking for opportunity theft as in central London.

Do you live in gandia or around here?

Thanks for the reply Guy,
Regards,
Dave

Dave n Ann Apr 9th 2018 7:44 am

Off for our last stimulating coffee powered breakfast downstairs in Grau shortly.

If there is anyone who lives or did live in Gandia for a length of time we'd love to hear from you.

I've known many visitors to London and have lost count as to the times I've had to sit and classify ( colored pencils work well for this) areas In London according to: cost, social status, fun and nightlife.

Ironically this is just the type of thing I'm looking for myself now.

If anyone with first hand knowledge is willing to step out of the shade soon (and colour in a few blanks :rofl:) we'd much appreciate it, as we now only have three and a bit days left here.

Regards,
Dave n Ann

johnnyone Apr 9th 2018 9:27 am

I have a holiday home low down in old town in Oliva between Placa Alonso and the beautiful Santa Maria church.
I had been visiting Oliva for many years before I purchased and whilst I wanted a home in the old town I decide that higher up was not for me. In certain areas it becomes tattier and some of the residents (Gitanos)are very loud. I did rent a number of properties higher in the old town over the years and whilst noise was occasionally a problem I never felt intimidated. It's just that some residents have a different lifestyle. Its all about location whether that's Oliva or wherever you decide. Just research and take care what you decide as buying and selling costs are considerable if you get that decision wrong.
I obviously like Oliva so there is no point me extolling it's virtues as I am biased (as are others who post about their own areas). You have to stay in these places until you find one that is right for you.
Although as said I am biased I do think you would struggle to find better beaches than Oliva's and you should certainly visit those.
All towns generally have good websites for both general and tourist information and browsing these may be helpful.
Good luck

jonboy Apr 9th 2018 4:48 pm

I think Dave n Ann are going to have to "sniff the locals" over a prolonged period of time if they hope to get the right place, in the right place, if you get my drift:unsure:

When in Gandia go to the main passeo, walk it and sit here and there, day and night. Go to Placa Prado and check it out, go to Calle Mayor. You can walk the best part of the city in a day and a half. The following day and a half you can sit down and nurse your blisters whilst thinking of revenge on jonboy!

KieronF Apr 11th 2018 8:02 am

I have never had Gandia or Olivia - not sure if that helps much

The Guy Apr 11th 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ann (Post 12478297)
Do you live in gandia or around here?

Thanks for the reply Guy,
Regards,
Dave

I am in Diamus, one of the little villages along the coast between Oliva and Grau Gandia