Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia Health Care Withdrawal

Valencia Health Care Withdrawal

Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough
Default Valencia Health Care Withdrawal

For anyone who is interested in, or thinks they may be affected by, the withdrawal health care for "early retiree" EU citizens there is a meeting on Monday 2nd November 2009, 2.00pm to 5.00pm at the OLD ASTURIAS restaurant at Punta Prima (on the N332).
(SNIP)

Thanks

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Oct 29th 2009 at 6:57 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia Health Care Withdrawal

What grounds do early retirees have for receiving state health care in Spain? Why should expats here be any different to expats anywhere else?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:01 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What grounds do early retirees have for receiving state health care in Spain? Why should expats here be any different to expats anywhere else?
IMO (of course)
I have paid 36 years into the UK system.
If I lived there now it would not be an issue.
An economic migrant can enter the UK & access what I used to without paying a penny into the system, or like many that appear on J.Kyle TV (puke) have never worked and have no intention to.
I am a European (so they tell us) and we must harmonise/conform etc.

All that being the case, then why should the UK not reimburse Spain for any medical treatment we need ? (do not need it myself as I have worked)

Brian
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:11 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
If I lived there now it would not be an issue.Brian
There's your solution.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:27 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
There's your solution.
I do not "need" one
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:35 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Wether we like it or not we are in a different country with different laws. I do moan from time to time as to how things are run over here but I weigh up what life was like in the UK compared to my quality of life over here and I no longer feel the need to complain. I accept that I'm not getting everything I had in the UK but I also accept that what I've traded all that in for is well worth it. Why should anyone born & raised outside the UK be entitled to something that the inhabitants are not?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

IMO (of course)
I have paid 36 years into the UK system.
If I lived there now it would not be an issue.
An economic migrant can enter the UK & access what I used to without paying a penny into the system, or like many that appear on J.Kyle TV (puke) have never worked and have no intention to.
I am a European (so they tell us) and we must harmonise/conform etc.

All that being the case, then why should the UK not reimburse Spain for any medical treatment we need ? (do not need it myself as I have worked)

Brian
But you moved to Spain .....
Actually your comment about economic migrants entering the UK and getting access to what you used to without paying a penny is actually not strictly true, but I underastand the point you are trying to make

As to WHY it doesnt happen, no .... I have no idea, but when I moved here I knew it to be the case and planned for it accordingly
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:51 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Wether we like it or not we are in a different country with different laws. I do moan from time to time as to how things are run over here but I weigh up what life was like in the UK compared to my quality of life over here and I no longer feel the need to complain. I accept that I'm not getting everything I had in the UK but I also accept that what I've traded all that in for is well worth it. Why should anyone born & raised outside the UK be entitled to something that the inhabitants are not?
The issue has nothing to do with Spain, it is about the UK meeting its obligations (as I see it & many others) to its people who have worked & paid their social security dues for many a long year AND are still living in the EEC.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:57 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

But you moved to Spain .....
Actually your comment about economic migrants entering the UK and getting access to what you used to without paying a penny is actually not strictly true, but I underastand the point you are trying to make

As to WHY it doesnt happen, no .... I have no idea, but when I moved here I knew it to be the case and planned for it accordingly
Yes and a good many did (plan for it) but they may well be finding life a good deal harder now & can no longer afford to go private.
Do we just say tough & its best that you go back to the UK ?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:01 pm
Yaaarp

The issue has nothing to do with Spain, it is about the UK meeting its obligations (as I see it & many others) to its people who have worked & paid their social security dues for many a long year AND are still living in the EEC.
entonces, the Spanish that have moved to the UK can claim everything they would have got had they stayed in Spain, roll on the pensionista holidays to Skegness.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:26 pm
Senior Moment

Yes and a good many did (plan for it) but they may well be finding life a good deal harder now & can no longer afford to go private.
Do we just say tough & its best that you go back to the UK ?
Yep, if we could see the future then things would be a lot easier

So .... if someone who is pre retired from, say, Germany or France comes to Spain ... do they get free helath cover? If they went to the UK would they get free health cover? If they went to Italy would they? I know what you are saying is its Britain honouring its responsibilities, but do the other EU countries?

I understand what you are saying, but life is tough, and yes there are a lot of people finding it harder
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

UK health system, you have to be in it to win it.

Spain health system, you have to buy in it to win it.

Small words but a big difference.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

So .... if someone who is pre retired from, say, Germany or France comes to Spain ... do they get free helath cover? If they went to the UK would they get free health cover? If they went to Italy would they? I know what you are saying is its Britain honouring its responsibilities, but do the other EU countries?

I understand what you are saying, but life is tough, and yes there are a lot of people finding it harder
Yes they would as the UK system is residence based and not payment based.
Old Oct 30th 2009, 7:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Oops Mitzy, I think you just shot yourself in the foot. Yes they do get free health care, and dentistry etc. etc. I have a German friend living in England in just that position!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Because in 2002 the Valencian authority announced free health care to early retirees as an inducement to move to their area and fill their tax coffers by buying property and spending their hard earned in Valencia as opposed to anywhere else.

Now they say they cannot afford it anymore and have left some people ( particularly those with a pre-existing condition) in a very difficult situation.

Surely the fare way would have been to stop it for any new imigrants who would then have a choice, not to suddenly withdraw it from those who came here as a result of their offer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.