Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia Health Care Early Retirees

Valencia Health Care Early Retirees

Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough
Default Valencia Health Care Early Retirees

Does anyone have any news on the health care subscription system for early retirees due to be introduced at the end of the year ? The proposed figure is rumoured to be €100 per month per person - can anyone confirm this ?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia Health Care Early Retirees

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
Does anyone have any news on the health care subscription system for early retirees due to be introduced at the end of the year ? The proposed figure is rumoured to be €100 per month per person - can anyone confirm this ?

Many thanks.
if you have your EHIC card you can use that to get you SIP card for health care, no ?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:45 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spain
if you have your EHIC card you can use that to get you SIP card for health care, no ?
Basically NO!

You need to get an E106 from UK which you then take to the social in Spain. This will then entitle you to a SIP card until the E106 runs out. This is usually no longer than two years from when you entered Spain.

The EHIC card itself will NOT allow you to get a SIP card (as I know to my cost). Our EHIC cards run out some years ahead but our 106's run out in Feb. We have just been to renow our 6 monthly SIP cards and been told that as the 106 runs out in less than 6 months time, we can not have a new SIP and we should simply take the 106 as proof of health care.

What this means is that we can not book appointments over the internet. We will always have hastle getting appointments as we don't have valid SIP cards (again I know this to my cost).

I have heard that as the Valencian government is in so much debt, they have now postponed the previously offered help for early retirees.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

right, well the only reason I say that is because I took a friend a couple of weeks ago along to the doctors with just the EHIC card, no questions asked and they were given their temp SIP cards til the perm ones are ready
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

right, well the only reason I say that is because I took a friend a couple of weeks ago along to the doctors with just the EHIC card, no questions asked and they were given their temp SIP cards til the perm ones are ready
I think you can sign on the doctors here for up to six months with just your card and filling out a form, but I think they assume you are just on holiday.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:54 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

The EHIC card is for VISITORS not Spanish residents.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
I think you can sign on the doctors here for up to six months with just your card and filling out a form, but I think they assume you are just on holiday.
but would they give you a SIP card if you were on holiday ?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

intheknow is an unknown quantity at this point

but would they give you a SIP card if you were on holiday ?
A temporary one, yes.

No idea what the Valencians are going to charge but it will still be better than a lot of private health options. Except of course, you will only be covered in Valencia.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scampicat
The EHIC card is for VISITORS not Spanish residents.
undertsood and this is what is needed when emergency health care is needed...ie you wouldnt apply for a SIP card
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by intheknow
A temporary one, yes.
we told the doctors that my friends lived here, the temp cardboard ones were given while they wait for the plastic ones to come - they do not work here and we only asked for EHIC cards
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:40 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

we told the doctors that my friends lived here, the temp cardboard ones were given while they wait for the plastic ones to come - they do not work here and we only asked for EHIC cards
I'm in exactly the same position (I think). I have retired early, don't work here yet am resident.

We have had the cardboard SIP cards for the last two years. I am told that in Valencia, you only get permanent, plastic ones, if you pay the social contributions (240 euros plus). Like you, we were told that we would get permanent plastic cards but they never came!

I have since found out that some health centres will use the EHIC card (to issue a SIP) in lieu of the E106 but only for the first six months. After that you have to be legal and produce either the 106 or 121 paperwork.

Once that runs out, it's down to private health care (currently our quotes are about 240euro per month for a family of 5). Or, maybe, a cheaper option will be if the Valencian government come up with a cheaper scheme - I somehow doubt it will be any cheaper given we have a family of 5!!!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm in exactly the same position (I think). I have retired early, don't work here yet am resident.

We have had the cardboard SIP cards for the last two years. I am told that in Valencia, you only get permanent, plastic ones, if you pay the social contributions (240 euros plus). Like you, we were told that we would get permanent plastic cards but they never came!

I have since found out that some health centres will use the EHIC card (to issue a SIP) in lieu of the E106 but only for the first six months. After that you have to be legal and produce either the 106 or 121 paperwork.

Once that runs out, it's down to private health care (currently our quotes are about 240euro per month for a family of 5). Or, maybe, a cheaper option will be if the Valencian government come up with a cheaper scheme - I somehow doubt it will be any cheaper given we have a family of 5!!!

ahhhh right, well I better let them know all this info - not applicable to us as OH is paying SS
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Your local health centre is only able to issue temporary SIP cards. To be on the system properly you have to visit your nearest Instituto National De La Seguridad Social with every piece of paper you can think of and copies of it all plus either the E106 or E121. They will then stamp everything and send it off to Valencia for you to be put on the system. In the past people were staying with a doctor for years on a temporary card but the authorities are cracking down gradually and sorting it out so that people who are not eligible are being removed.

Rosemary
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:16 am
Account Closed

intheknow is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you have a social security number of course, in which case you can register directly at the health centre.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Your local health centre is only able to issue temporary SIP cards. To be on the system properly you have to visit your nearest Instituto National De La Seguridad Social with every piece of paper you can think of and copies of it all plus either the E106 or E121. They will then stamp everything and send it off to Valencia for you to be put on the system. In the past people were staying with a doctor for years on a temporary card but the authorities are cracking down gradually and sorting it out so that people who are not eligible are being removed.

Rosemary
hmmmm I wonder (if, as everything in Spain) it differs area to area as we got our perm SIP cards from our docs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.