Reload this Page >

Valencia bound - opinions wanted

Valencia bound - opinions wanted

Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:38 am
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia bound - opinions wanted

Hello all,

I have been on this board last winter and received lots of helpful information. I am hoping to receive some candid advice from people living in Valencia.

My husband is getting transfered to an office in Valencia, his office is handling all the VISA items. We are slated to go to Valencia this May for 1 year. We are bringing our 2 young children with us and they will be attending private school.

I realize Valencia is currently bankrupt, but so are several US states. California has been bankrupt for over a year!! I am trying to gauge the overall tone/atmosphere in Valencia.

My questions are: How are the people of Valencia coping? Do you as expats notice an increase in hostility towards you? Are many businesses closed and boarded up, are there many more homeless people and petty theft?

Clearly, I am nervous about this move given the current economic state and how is affects the mood of the people. I, like many other people, hope the climate in Spain does not mirror that of Greece at all. But I am in the US and only hear stories from CNBC, the BBC and the Economists.

I would love to hear some honest unbiased information about the current state of life in Valencia.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:27 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia bound - opinions wanted

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Hello all,

I have been on this board last winter and received lots of helpful information. I am hoping to receive some candid advice from people living in Valencia.

My husband is getting transfered to an office in Valencia, his office is handling all the VISA items. We are slated to go to Valencia this May for 1 year. We are bringing our 2 young children with us and they will be attending private school.

I realize Valencia is currently bankrupt, but so are several US states. California has been bankrupt for over a year!! I am trying to gauge the overall tone/atmosphere in Valencia.

My questions are: How are the people of Valencia coping? Do you as expats notice an increase in hostility towards you? Are many businesses closed and boarded up, are there many more homeless people and petty theft?

Clearly, I am nervous about this move given the current economic state and how is affects the mood of the people. I, like many other people, hope the climate in Spain does not mirror that of Greece at all. But I am in the US and only hear stories from CNBC, the BBC and the Economists.

I would love to hear some honest unbiased information about the current state of life in Valencia.

Thank you in advance.

Firstly, let me say that I don't live in the city but in the province of Valencia (about 45 minutes from the city).

I would say that, generally, you'd hardly know that the country was in such a state! Yes, there are lots of shops and businesses closed, and yes, lots of unemployed. But, as far as I can see, there's no more crime, no extra people begging on the streets (very uncommon in Spain it seems).

Overall, I would say it is much the same as it ever was provided you have sufficient income to live, pay for health care, schooling etc.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 7:57 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I live about 20 kms outside the city near some smallish pueblos.
On the surface little appears to have changed around here with the same bars and small businesses all still open though doing a bit less business than before.

The only noticeable change is the lack of ongoing building projects, most of those which had started early in the crisis were completed at a much slower rate using local labour only, most of the immigrant workers having seemingly disappeared.
The local population seem as exceptionally friendly,polite and helpful as ever they were, as do the few I know from Valencia who spend their weekends here.

I rarely visit the city itself,so can't give you an accurate picture on that,though from what Ive seen as with all big cities, it probably doesn't have quite the same degree of warmth and friendliness as the country villages
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do not live in the city either but in a small town. The people here have not changed at all, they moan about the crisis of course but realise that they have to tighten their belts and manage in whatever way that they can. Although the builing of new housing seems to have come to a standstill and many building workers are now not employed there does seem to be a few new businesses opening their doors so it is not all doom and gloom.

Rosemary
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

jenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nice

I think you will get a pleasant surprise when you come to live in Valencia. It is a lovely city, the third largest in Spain with great shopping, museums, playas etc. Probably I would express your reservations too if I were to have to spend a year in Boston. Enjoy your time in Valencia.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to say that you will love Valencia city, it is a great place to walk around, make sure that you look up at the tops of the buildings they are wonderful.

I have not been able to visit there for some time but I think that in September I will do my tourist bit again.

Rosemary
Old Aug 11th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Valencia's a great city.
I have been visiting on and off for at least 15 years and it has improved greatly over that time, especially the beach area since the Americas Cup was held there. The Turia park on the old riverbed is also superb.
It also has good Metro/Suburban rail services to get around and visit outlying towns such as Xativa.
I haven't noticed any real difference since the recession hit.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

The Valencia Community is a wonderful place. There are differences depending on whether you are talking about moving to Valencia City or elsewhere within the Community (a bit like a State).
On the whole, I'd say you will enjoy it but you'll get more specific information if you name the area to which you are moving as we have coastal areas, inland towns and villages, large cities, wildernesses and one-horse towns. It depends what you like.
Valencia City is beautiful. If that's your destination, lucky you.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all the above comments but Lliria is one huge building site at the moment.Drives me crazy the constant digging and dust...one area is going to be a Carrefour with new road sysatem and in the town there are new roads also and house building and a new public park. Son locos!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

jenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nicejenna m is just really nice

So when exactly are you moving to Valencia, I noticed you were talking about the move back in March, on another thread?
Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I agree with all the above comments but Lliria is one huge building site at the moment.Drives me crazy the constant digging and dust...one area is going to be a Carrefour with new road sysatem and in the town there are new roads also and house building and a new public park. Son locos!

Nice to see that one town at least seems to be booming.
It always appeared quite busy up that way to me with that busy road leading down to Valencia lined with factories and houses all the way, almost making it seem like an extension of the city itself.

All peace and quiet down my way touch wood.
Any on going projects were quietly completed with local labour and now everythings nicely settled down.
It may sound a bit selfish but every cloud has a silver lining.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:37 pm
Needs the SUN

bostonlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jenna m
So when exactly are you moving to Valencia, I noticed you were talking about the move back in March, on another thread?
Hi, thank you for the reply. We can move when the school year is complete. We can go the April to the end of May. It depends on the VISA stuff, but that is our target range.

We are also targeting the Arts and Science Area to live in.

I appreciate all the time this group puts into answering questions.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lots of time then to do your research and Google maps are great for checking out the different areas. Don't know how important the underground transport will be to you - be sure and double check it though as its very handy for the Playa etc.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

NadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant futureNadiaN has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bostonlady
Hi, thank you for the reply. We can move when the school year is complete. We can go the April to the end of May. It depends on the VISA stuff, but that is our target range.

We are also targeting the Arts and Science Area to live in.

I appreciate all the time this group puts into answering questions.

I live in Valencia across from the City of Arts and Sciences. It is a really nice area to live in.

Valencia might be broke, but you would not know it by walking around the Arts and Science area, or by taking a walk downtown or in the Turia park. No boarded up shops, the El Saler shopping center is always full, there are always people sitting outside the bars having a drink or a meal. You might see some beggars around - usually a single person sitting in front of the Mercadona or another grocery store - but they were already around before the economic crisis hit. I don't think you will run into any homeless people in the city itself, at least not in the central areas. The one single time I ever saw one was last winter when I had to go catch the early train to Madrid, and I passed a bank at around 5am and there was someone sleeping inside the area where the bank machines are.

I have never met with any hostility, not from regular people or from government offices, but I do speak the language - I don't know how they treat people who can only communicate in English. It would be a good idea to learn as much Spanish as possible before you come. Even just trying to speak Spanish is enough - I always start out speaking Spanish with my vet, but he switches to English right away (not sure if it's because my Spanish is so bad or because he wants to practice his English :-)

I am not sure about petty theft. I've always heard warnings about it, but personally have never had a problem. Still, I do always hold on to my purse when walking around downtown, just in case. But again, this is no different than it was in 2006 or 2007, before Valencia went broke.

Definitely Valencia is nothing like what we see of Greece on TV. They had some student protests this spring, but it was all pretty peaceful (at least on the part of the students - the police were not quite as nice). Even when there are protests, they happen downtown, so if you live around the City of Arts and Sciences you would not even know that anything was happening until you heard it on the news the next day.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

elfallero is an unknown quantity at this point

I would echo all that the previous poster says. I live in Godella a small town about 10km from the city (where I work). I have a lovely quality of life here. Yes there are beggars sitting outside the Mercadonas etc., but they never hassle you. I'm a Glaswegian and I would be far more scared in Glasgow than in Valencia. But the economic situation and outlook is a bit worrying. In my case I recently had to accept a 25% reduction in my salary which was "ouch" to say the least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.