Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia: best pools for lap swimming, best districts to live for summer

Valencia: best pools for lap swimming, best districts to live for summer

Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

jane11e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia: best pools for lap swimming, best districts to live for summer

Hi!
My husband and I and 2 daughters (6 and 7) are planning to move to Valencia for the summer (June, July and August) for a bit of language and culture immersion. We all like to swim, and I NEED to swim laps -- for everyone's sanity. I see there are lots of public pools (25m minimum) in Valencia. Anyone have any experience with them -- which is best in terms of open hours, pool quality, lane availability, etc?

Also, any advice on which are the best neighborhoods for a family to live in? I've heard good things about Canovas... any others? To beat the heat (and as a way to meet people in the building), we are also looking for an apartment with a pool in the common area.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Valencia: best pools for lap swimming, best districts to live for summer

hi, apologies for delayed response as I just saw this request.

The municipal pool in the centre of Valencia is the only pool I have seen where yr annual subscription limits your visits, something like 2 per week. Its just by the science park area by the dry river bed.

Most towns in Southern Valencia have a heated indoor pool, 25m. Annual subs are c 60-90e pa but there's probably a family card.

Happy swimming!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Valencia: best pools for lap swimming, best districts to live for summer

Thanks so much! How odd that they limit how many times you can go per week. Is there another way to join the pool so you can go there as many days as you like? Pay per entry?
Thanks again for the info!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

you will always be able to get a lane to yourself, just keep going at diff times as say 10.30am is busy, 11 am it may be empty. Gets busy at 1.30 as Spanish finish work but they soon finish as lunch is looming.

Once you have exceeded annual quota you can always pay to enter. Prices range from 2-6e (depends if its a private company or a town hall owned pool).

You'll have to go a bit further out of VLC to get an urb with a pool. There's a lovely sea to swim in though, just hop on the Metro.

It's been a while since I looked in the pool I mentioned (say 2 years) so things may have changed. The annual cap on sessions actually put me off as I swim a lot & didn't want to have to worry about paying per visit.

All municipal pools in Spain you have to wear a cap (goro, buy at Decathon for 2e or so) & flip flops. Most villages have outdoor pools for summer use, there's a nice big outside pool a couple of train stops south on the Gandia line, may be Sueca I am not sure, you can see it by the station.

Good luck, if I am in VLC I'll update you. Anything else just ask. Happy swimming!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

SO great to find someone as dedicated to swimming as I am!
Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to bring swim caps and flip flops for everyone.

I see a bunch of pools in the city of Valencia listed on the web -- I'll see what I can find out about those too. Our daughters (6 and 7) are on a swim team here and would love to join one there if possible.

We're currently considering renting an apt around Artes/Ciencias, Av Francia -- I've seen several with a pool on the property.

Again, a million thanks, and happy swimming!
Old Nov 14th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that in summer most pools runs kids clubs. Its for the mothers who have to work so the kids can stay all day. If the pool has outside grounds there's loads of stuff going on, ball games, beach visits, picnics & of course swimming in the pool.

Worth asking in advance so you can get the names down. Good way of integrating really quickly. Looked loads of fun & if I was 30 years younger I'd have loved it.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

OH MY GOODNESS. That sounds like the most perfect method of immersion/integration for the kids possible! What a dream. They will love it, and I think learn Spanish much more quickly that way. THANK YOU!

I'll see if I can figure out which pools in the city of Valencia or close by offer this (I don't think we'll have a car, but maybe). Since we'll be arriving mid-May, sounds like we'd have a bit of time before the kid clubs start. But just in case, I'll see if we can sign up in advance from here.

Thanks again! Makes my day. Can't wait to get there!