Vaccination

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:05 am
  #91  
FreeThinker
Thread Starter
 
jimenato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: the moors and levels
Posts: 9,702
jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by playamonte
Well Bil she has said that she has spent a good many years in the medical world & took her decision after learning about some inside info that she may not be at liberty to talk about (I guess)
Chances are that she knows a good deal more about the subject than you or I.
I very much doubt that. Posters in this thread have given good reasons for vaccinating kids. jojo has not given any reason at all for not vaccinating apart from vague unsubstantiated assertions and links to activist facebook groups - not very impressive and not going to convince anyone - well certainly not me anyway. I don't hold with name-calling but I can understand the frustration where people make controversial posts (that is what I would call trolling BTW) and fail to back them up with any evidence whatever when asked.
jimenato is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:06 am
  #92  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by agoreira
Give it up, get over it man, move on! Even by your standards, you´re becoming " muy pesao". I´m strongly opposed to her views, I seem to remember she played the "medically qualified" card before on the smoking threads, but she´s entitled to her views, even if they don´t agree with mine or yours. Rightly or wrongly, (wrongly in our view) I´m sure she had her childrens well being at heart. Ciber bullies are ten a penny, have a day off.
Actually I was referring to someone else.

Everyone is entitled to opinions, but for an opinion to be respected, it's usually required to be backed up by facts.
bil is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:08 am
  #93  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by jimenato
I very much doubt that. Posters in this thread have given good reasons for vaccinating kids. jojo has not given any reason at all for not vaccinating apart from vague unsubstantiated assertions and links to activist facebook groups - not very impressive and not going to convince anyone - well certainly not me anyway. I don't hold with name-calling but I can understand the frustration where people make controversial posts (that is what I would call trolling BTW) and fail to back them up with any evidence whatever when asked.
Hey, be careful man. Fail to back her up and you might get accused of being a cyber bully or something equally stupid.

Thanks for bringing facts in. Not something others seem to need.

Karma on its way.
bil is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:32 am
  #94  
bil
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Vejer de la Fra., Cadiz
Posts: 7,653
bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by playamonte
"Well Bil she has said that she has spent a good many years in the medical world & took her decision after learning about some inside info that she may not be at liberty to talk about (I guess)
Chances are that she knows a good deal more about the subject than you or I."

I did biochemistry at Liverpool, and since then a lot of reading on the subject.

Working in the medical world? Me too, oddly, and despite ending up out of that field, I have always enjoyed reading what's going on.

It gives you a nose for when someone is talking the real deal.

Or not.
bil is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:00 am
  #95  
squeaky clean
 
jojojojojo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
Posts: 1,576
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

I do not respond to bullies or those who get bent out of shape for an answer that they simply want so can they scorn and deride, but for effect and fear of being seen to back down, you carry on bil

Jo xx
jojojojojo is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:37 am
  #96  
BE Forum Addict
 
megmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Near Alora....but not too near. :)
Posts: 1,646
megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by jimenato
jojo you are not debating. You are expressing dodgy views masquerading as facts (see your list of random diseases - no idea what that was about) and declaring 'expertise' and 'high up in the medical profession' without saying what that expertise is. I must say that some of the things you say don't give me confidence in your medical knowledge. Beyond giving pointers to a couple of single interest facebook groups you have not given any evidence for your 'beliefs'. Do you have any evidence? It seems that it is a matter of faith to you - you believe just coz yes.
Having read all the way through these postings I've got to say I agree with that!
Facebook may be a good social experience with your friends and like minded people, one thing it's not though is a place to gain accurate medical knowledge...there is even more bu**sh*t on there than here!

I do find it somewhat surprising that a person claiming to be 'high up in the medical profession' either can't or won't share their infinite medical knowledge with the rest of us here....
I too would like to know which diseases have been totally eradicated and which have mutated.
I only have limited medical knowledge, but I'm sure that cholera (as stated) is not one of them.

All Bil wants (like the rest of us) is a simple answer and explanation of the claims made....throw him that bone and he will go off quietly to a corner and digest it!
megmet is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:06 pm
  #97  
squeaky clean
 
jojojojojo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
Posts: 1,576
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by megmet
Having read all the way through these postings I've got to say I agree with that!
Facebook may be a good social experience with your friends and like minded people, one thing it's not though is a place to gain accurate medical knowledge...there is even more bu**sh*t on there than here!

I do find it somewhat surprising that a person claiming to be 'high up in the medical profession' either can't or won't share their infinite medical knowledge with the rest of us here....
I too would like to know which diseases have been totally eradicated and which have mutated.
I only have limited medical knowledge, but I'm sure that cholera (as stated) is not one of them.

All Bil wants (like the rest of us) is a simple answer and explanation of the claims made....throw him that bone and he will go off quietly to a corner and digest it!
call me belligerent, but as I've already said, I dont respond to bullies and aint gonna start now. I felt the facebook pages were fine for here, they actually link to other pages, one of which a good friend of mine runs. There are many, many different sites and organisations on the net and elsewhere who refute the validity of the various vaccines, surely I shouldnt have to stand up against one tedious individual on an expat forum - well I'm not going to. I have not had any of my children vaccinated and didnt take that decision lightly, I looked into it in depth and made an informed choice. Its that knowledge (which anyone can research) and choice that I have no intention of defending, certainly not against someone who's only agenda is to critise, belittle and scorn. Hence my lack of any further discussion on the matter

Jo xxx
jojojojojo is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:16 pm
  #98  
VFR
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Valencia area
Posts: 1,161
VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
call me belligerent, but as I've already said, I dont respond to bullies and aint gonna start now. I felt the facebook pages were fine for here, they actually link to other pages, one of which a good friend of mine runs. There are many, many different sites and organisations on the net and elsewhere who refute the validity of the various vaccines, surely I shouldnt have to stand up against one tedious individual on an expat forum - well I'm not going to. I have not had any of my children vaccinated and didnt take that decision lightly, I looked into it in depth and made an informed choice. Its that knowledge (which anyone can research) and choice that I have no intention of defending, certainly not against someone who's only agenda is to critise, belittle and scorn. Hence my lack of any further discussion on the matter

Jo xxx
Well said (IMO) jo and the above should put that issue to bed.
VFR is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:21 pm
  #99  
VFR
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Valencia area
Posts: 1,161
VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

So to move the discussion on a little

I read one of the links that Jo provided, that lead to another etc etc, and I arrived at the one about influenza that I guess is the most common nowadays.
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM123694.pdf

I have wondered about having this for a few years now as its quite commonly given in the village, but after reading the above link I will think twice about it after reading about the adverse reactions (never knew there was any)
VFR is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:00 pm
  #100  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,808
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by playamonte
So to move the discussion on a little

I read one of the links that Jo provided, that lead to another etc etc, and I arrived at the one about influenza that I guess is the most common nowadays.
http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Biologi.../UCM123694.pdf

I have wondered about having this for a few years now as its quite commonly given in the village, but after reading the above link I will think twice about it after reading about the adverse reactions (never knew there was any)
I detest having injections but do have the flu jab, mainly because of the difficulties that my OH has with his health. If I did not have the jab and he ended up ill through me I would feel so responsible. At least by taking the only available precaution I can absolve myself from that guilt.

However, I joked with the receptionist last winter about hating having it done and he said why bother, he then told me that he was not having it (he is a diabetic who is strongly advised to have it done), neither was the main nurse and nor were the two doctors.

Really does not give you faith in the whole thing, does it.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:55 pm
  #101  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,920
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by playamonte
I will think twice about it after reading about the adverse reactions (never knew there was any)
It says:-

The most frequently reported adverse reactions are mild hypersensitivity reactions (such as rash), local reactions at the injection site, and influenza-like symptoms.


That sounds like the reactions to ANY vaccination and they are hardly life threatening.

We both have the flu jabs - it doesn't affect me but my OH gets a slight reddening at the jab site - goes away in 24 hours.

If you really want to frighten yourself over drug reactions look at the details for almost any common drug.
Fred James is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:05 pm
  #102  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Valencia
Posts: 1,164
whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vaccination

If vaccination really works why are those who say they have been vaccinated be so bothered by those who dont?
whitelinen is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:10 pm
  #103  
MODERATOR
 
Lorna at Vicenza's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Province of Vicenza
Posts: 19,047
Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Anybody had the chicken pox vaccine?

My kids have both had chicken pox but before they were born my MIL got shingles (commonly known as The Fire of St Anthony here) and she felt very poorly for months and months.
Lorna at Vicenza is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:11 pm
  #104  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,808
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by Fred James
It says:-

The most frequently reported adverse reactions are mild hypersensitivity reactions (such as rash), local reactions at the injection site, and influenza-like symptoms.


That sounds like the reactions to ANY vaccination and they are hardly life threatening.

We both have the flu jabs - it doesn't affect me but my OH gets a slight reddening at the jab site - goes away in 24 hours.

If you really want to frighten yourself over drug reactions look at the details for almost any common drug.
We are the same, he gets no reaction at all, I get redness, pain and a lump that lasts for about a week. Talking of drug reactions, if they gave me even a small amount of penicillin it would kill me.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:51 pm
  #105  
FreeThinker
Thread Starter
 
jimenato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: the moors and levels
Posts: 9,702
jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by whitelinen
If vaccination really works why are those who say they have been vaccinated be so bothered by those who dont?
Because, as with all medical interventions, vaccinations are not 100% successful. so even though you might have had the vaccination it might not have 'taken'.

Also, vaccination programmes depend upon a certain percentage of the populace being vaccinated to provide what is called 'herd immunity'. This percentage is compromised by those refusing to be vaccinated.

I hope that answers your question.
jimenato is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.