Vaccination

Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:48 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccination

Originally Posted by Fred James
It says:-

The most frequently reported adverse reactions are mild hypersensitivity reactions (such as rash), local reactions at the injection site, and influenza-like symptoms.

That sounds like the reactions to ANY vaccination and they are hardly life threatening.

We both have the flu jabs - it doesn't affect me but my OH gets a slight reddening at the jab site - goes away in 24 hours.

If you really want to frighten yourself over drug reactions look at the details for almost any common drug.
Indeed it does, but it also said ..............
Immune system disorders In rare cases, hypersensitivity reactions have lead to anaphylactic shock and death (I am unable to Cut & Paste from the link ?)
I guess this is extremely rare of course & yes I do now on occasion check what the side effects are online when taking a new pill from the doctors and as you say some of the reactions can be very severe.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:20 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Indeed it does, but it also said ..............
Immune system disorders In rare cases, hypersensitivity reactions have lead to anaphylactic shock and death (I am unable to Cut & Paste from the link ?)
I guess this is extremely rare of course & yes I do now on occasion check what the side effects are online when taking a new pill from the doctors and as you say some of the reactions can be very severe.
Interesting. I had a tetanus shot some time back, and the doctor first gave me a scratch test, where you scratch the surface, touch a spot of the liquid on and wait a minute.

I mentioned that I was impressed that he took such care, and he made a face. He said that he hadn't always been that careful. One day he had gone to give a similar shot to a young woman, and he wasn't going to bother with the scratch test. Then, for some reason he though 'Oh well, I guess I really ought to.'

She went into anaphylactic shock almost on the instant and needed to be rushed to hospital where after intensive treatment, she survived.

His comment was that had he actually injected her, she would have died. It made him very, very careful.

This however isn't a reaction to the vaccine element of the injection, it's the reaction to the carrier.

For example, they make an anti venom for adder bites, by injecting a horse with increasing amounts of venom, until its bloodstream is heaving with antibodies against it. They then tap off plasma and purify it to make the anti venom. Trouble is, some people are violently, even fatally allergic to the horse proteins that are in the anti venom, and the joke is that more people die from the allergic reactions than die from adder bites.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Interesting. I had a tetanus shot some time back, and the doctor first gave me a scratch test, where you scratch the surface, touch a spot of the liquid on and wait a minute.

I mentioned that I was impressed that he took such care, and he made a face. He said that he hadn't always been that careful. One day he had gone to give a similar shot to a young woman, and he wasn't going to bother with the scratch test. Then, for some reason he though 'Oh well, I guess I really ought to.'

She went into anaphylactic shock almost on the instant and needed to be rushed to hospital where after intensive treatment, she survived.

His comment was that had he actually injected her, she would have died. It made him very, very careful.This however isn't a reaction to the vaccine element of the injection, it's the reaction to the carrier.

For example, they make an anti venom for adder bites, by injecting a horse with increasing amounts of venom, until its bloodstream is heaving with antibodies against it. They then tap off plasma and purify it to make the anti venom. Trouble is, some people are violently, even fatally allergic to the horse proteins that are in the anti venom, and the joke is that more people die from the allergic reactions than die from adder bites.
and how many others entrusted with our lives bother.?
send me his name and address and I will make him my personal physician
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 3:54 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
and how many others entrusted with our lives bother.?
send me his name and address and I will make him my personal physician
Bitch. I saw him first.

Gotta agree there, mind you anaphylactic shock like that is pretty rare. Even so, it's a small effort to make. Imagine tho how you'd feel if you'd been in his shoes and not bothered?

Yeucchhhh.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Bitch. I saw him first.

Gotta agree there, mind you anaphylactic shock like that is pretty rare. Even so, it's a small effort to make. Imagine tho how you'd feel if you'd been in his shoes and not bothered?

Yeucchhhh.
DEAD ! ?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 4:59 am
bil
Banned

DEAD ! ?
No, if you were in his shoes and had killed someone like that.

Gutted, I was thinking.....
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by bil
No, if you were in his shoes and had killed someone like that.

Gutted, I was thinking.....
looking for promotion ?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:20 am
bil
Banned

looking for promotion ?
If it were me I'd be looking for a swift exit......
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:38 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Anybody had the chicken pox vaccine?

My kids have both had chicken pox but before they were born my MIL got shingles (commonly known as The Fire of St Anthony here) and she felt very poorly for months and months.
that was one of the jabs they wanted my girls to have in the US - but since they had both had chickenpox they didn't have to have it

seems odd though - you can get chickenpox more than once - both my girls did
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 5:57 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that was one of the jabs they wanted my girls to have in the US - but since they had both had chickenpox they didn't have to have it

I've heard that before too. Don't know the reason though.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought, Lynn .... as your girls have lived in three countries, did they both get chickenpox in the same country at the same time or at separate times in different countries?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Just a thought, Lynn .... as your girls have lived in three countries, did they both get chickenpox in the same country at the same time or at separate times in different countries?
dd1 got it more than once in the UK - 3 times I think - but never in the US or Spain

dd2 got it in the UK & Spain - but not in the US
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

dd1 got it more than once in the UK - 3 times I think - but never in the US or Spain

dd2 got it in the UK & Spain - but not in the US
Poor kids. Did they have a very mild version the first time and perhaps not develop the antibodies against it?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 7:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Poor kids. Did they have a very mild version the first time and perhaps not develop the antibodies against it?
yes - it did get worse each time - when dd1 got it a second time I asked that question of the doc - I was straight back there cos I had no idea you could get it more than once - & yes, that's why - they didn't have it too badly so it took a few goes to build up resistance
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:00 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

yes - it did get worse each time - when dd1 got it a second time I asked that question of the doc - I was straight back there cos I had no idea you could get it more than once - & yes, that's why - they didn't have it too badly so it took a few goes to build up resistance
Hopefully mine won't get it again. Chloe didn't have loads and loads of spots but her scabs were some of the biggest the doctor said she'd ever seen. Alex had millions of little and big ones, absolutely everywhere - even covering the inside of his mouth. The little mite was about 3 at the time and lived off ice-lollies and cold yoghurt for 4 days. They were the only things he could face eating.

Last edited by Lorna at Vicenza; Jul 23rd 2011 at 8:03 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.