British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Utilities costs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/utilities-costs-893445/)

dreamer55 Mar 6th 2017 3:18 am

Utilities costs

Hi, I'm just researching moving to Spain and am hoping someone can give some guidance on utilities costs. I hope to buy a small 2-bed villa with mains water and electricity. Can anyone give just a ballpark figure for likely annual costs? Also, approx how much would it cost for initial fill of swimming pool (again, just a small one)? And finally, any idea of TV/broadband/phone costs?
I'll be on a small pension once I've bought the house outright - with a little capital left for rainy days!!
Any advice gratefully received.;)

amideislas Mar 6th 2017 4:08 pm

Re: Utilities costs

Varies substantially by region, and community. Where are you going?

dreamer55 Mar 6th 2017 4:21 pm

Probably around Torravieja as its so cheap! I'll be living alone so if anyone is already there in a similar property I'd be really interested to hear what their bills are like. Cheers.

tebo53 Mar 7th 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by dreamer55 (Post 12198464)
Probably around Torravieja as its so cheap! I'll be living alone so if anyone is already there in a similar property I'd be really interested to hear what their bills are like. Cheers.

Budget substantially for security!

I read that Torrevieja was the most burgled town in the Valencia region! :thumbdown:

Steve

dreamer55 Mar 7th 2017 10:20 am

I'll be in one of the villages around Lliria so hopefully less risk (also, I'll be there permanently; I'm guessing that Torrevieja has loads of holiday homes). But thanks for the warning!

Rosemary Mar 7th 2017 10:31 am

Originally Posted by dreamer55 (Post 12198464)

Originally Posted by dreamer55 (Post 12199047)
I'll be in one of the villages around Lliria so hopefully less risk (also, I'll be there permanently; I'm guessing that Torrevieja has loads of holiday homes). But thanks for the warning!

Huge change of plan over night, almost 300 kms between the two. Does that mean that you have discovered somewhere that suits you or are you still well open to different areas?

Rosemary

dreamer55 Mar 7th 2017 10:37 am

Maybe I've written the wrong town (??) but I'm looking slightly inland from Torrevieja as I want a bit of land to grow veg/keep chickens/basically live the dream ;-)
I have a shortlist at the moment but I'm keeping my options open!!

Rosemary Mar 7th 2017 10:50 am

Originally Posted by dreamer55 (Post 12199055)
Maybe I've written the wrong town (??) but I'm looking slightly inland from Torrevieja as I want a bit of land to grow veg/keep chickens/basically live the dream ;-)
I have a shortlist at the moment but I'm keeping my options open!!

Or maybe there is a place inland from Torre with the same name as the town near to Valencia!!!!

Rosemary

frigilianafreddy Mar 10th 2017 1:03 pm

Winter months (Nov to Mar) we spend about €100 to €150 per month on electricity. Other times about €40 per month.

Electricity is expensive. Get a woodburner for your villa - a much better idea.

Dondurma Mar 10th 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 12201772)
Winter months (Nov to Mar) we spend about €100 to €150 per month on electricity. Other times about €40 per month.

May I ask what type of heating do you have that puts the electric bill so high-is it air con?

tebo53 Mar 10th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy (Post 12201772)

How come the leccy bill rises 3 to 3.5 x as much in winter. Do you use your wood burner in winter?

dreamer55 Mar 10th 2017 3:49 pm

Hugely helpful responses, thank you. I'm hoping to buy a villa with some solar electricity also, and I'll definitely get a woodburner installed. Any suggestions as to water charges? I'm a shower-rather-than-bath person! But a pool would be so good....

Boseley Mar 10th 2017 4:26 pm

Here no heating or air-conditioning needed, electricity costs just under €2 daily, all the water for the garden is free, it falls from the sky we call it rain, the rest of the water cost €21 for three months. Gas, we don't use it any more.

However this is the remotest of the Canary Islands, few U.K. or Irish immigrants arrive here and those that do, vanish after short stay, cannibalism is not suspected, :eek:

dreamer55 Mar 10th 2017 5:07 pm

Ha ha! Water is cheaper than I expected, but might be different cost on the mainland. Would certainly utilise water butts to save what rain I can. Thanks.

Spiv Mar 10th 2017 7:41 pm

To fill a spanish bath costs about 40c so regards ro filling your pool? Maybe €80-€150 euros at a guess.